The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
In, even though I got lower than the offer.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 21
TomLeigh
Aww I cba to write my mini essay that I write everytime when I get asked this, so basically it's because I prioritised other things above the academic background of the university in making my choice!

Good call... a beautiful campus actually in an amazing city has got to beat an ugly campus in a field near the M6 any day.
And well done on getting into the UK's world's best university.
Reply 22
philjw
Good call... a beautiful campus actually in an amazing city has got to beat an ugly campus in a field near the M6 any day.
And well done on getting into the UK's world's best university.

Thanks ^_^
Reply 23
Burge
In, even though I got lower than the offer.

Same.

Well, I needed AAB with an A in History and I got AAAB but with a B in History. I'm a bit annoyed about that - but now I feel like I should have gone with my gut and applied for Philosophy in the first place. I allowed myself to be talked out of it. Urgh, I don't know what to do atm.
I love History, but I also love Philosophy - and by the looks of my Religious Studies [which is essentially philosophy] grades, I really should have just gone with it.

Sorry, just had to get that out. heh.
Reply 24
Kammy-
Same.

Well, I needed AAB with an A in History and I got AAAB but with a B in History. I'm a bit annoyed about that - but now I feel like I should have gone with my gut and applied for Philosophy in the first place. I allowed myself to be talked out of it. Urgh, I don't know what to do atm.
I love History, but I also love Philosophy - and by the looks of my Religious Studies [which is essentially philosophy] grades, I really should have just gone with it.

Go with what you love, not what you're good at. Although, by the sounds of it you love Philosophy and are good at it. Would you consider going through clearing or taking a gap year and re-applying? Or if not, could you consider changing course at Nottingham? If so, contact the Philo dept and ask them although this year there are too few places for applicants so..
Reply 25
etudiant
Go with what you love, not what you're good at. Although, by the sounds of it you love Philosophy and are good at it. Would you consider going through clearing or taking a gap year and re-applying? Or if not, could you consider changing course at Nottingham? If so, contact the Philo dept and ask them although this year there are too few places for applicants so..

I really don't want to risk clearing, and I need to go to university this year [it's an - I'll go insane if I'm alone for much longer - thing] so I couldn't take a gap year.

Yeah, I don't think it would be possible to change at this point would it?
I love and was supposedly good at both. I really struggled to decide between History and Philosophy last year - I went for History in the end, I was applying to Oxbridge and since I got the highest UMS marks in it, the advisors said History would be my best shot.

I'm happy to study History, it's just... hmm. I'm just a tad iffy atm.
Reply 26
Kammy-
I really don't want to risk clearing, and I need to go to university this year [it's an - I'll go insane if I'm alone for much longer - thing] so I couldn't take a gap year.

Yeah, I don't think it would be possible to change at this point would it?
I love and was supposedly good at both. I really struggled to decide between History and Philosophy last year - I went for History in the end, I was applying to Oxbridge and since I got the highest UMS marks in it, the advisors said History would be my best shot.

I'm happy to study History, it's just... hmm. I'm just a tad iffy atm.

History's great, and, if I remember Learning History I and II, there's opportunity to philosophise A LOT about causation, epistemology, truth and relativism etc... you may find yourself at an advantage being philosophically inclined. If you find you're completely on the wrong degree course, it is sometimes possible to transfer (I did - from German and History to Theology) but give History a whirl first.
Reply 27
philjw
History's great, and, if I remember Learning History I and II, there's opportunity to philosophise A LOT about causation, epistemology, truth and relativism etc... you may find yourself at an advantage being philosophically inclined. If you find you're completely on the wrong degree course, it is sometimes possible to transfer (I did - from German and History to Theology) but give History a whirl first.

Thanks. Mm, I think you're right. It just seems ridiculous to me that I'd get the lowest grade in the subject I intend to study for 3 years.
I'm surprised that the department still accepted me. Perhaps it was because I managed to pass the History AEA :dontknow:
Reply 28
Kammy-
Thanks. Mm, I think you're right. It just seems ridiculous to me that I'd get the lowest grade in the subject I intend to study for 3 years.
I'm surprised that the department still accepted me. Perhaps it was because I managed to pass the History AEA :dontknow:

My sister was in the same situation at Southampton - she missed her offer because her history A-Level was a grade too low, but got in anyway to study BA History. She's on track for a 2:1 or a first though so it hasn't held her back.
Reply 29
philjw
My sister was in the same situation at Southampton - she missed her offer because her history A-Level was a grade too low, but got in anyway to study BA History. She's on track for a 2:1 or a first though so it hasn't held her back.

Hopefully the same happens for me, hehe. I've put a bit more thought of it yesterday and I think I should continue with History. It's what I've looked forward to and prepared for, one unfortunate thing won't hold me back! [Rare splurge of positivity on my part lol]
Reply 30
If you have an offer i'd say your definitely best off sticking with it. We actually filled all of our clearing vacancies today and we didn't have any in a similar course really anyway. Finding a clearing vacancy for Philosophy at a good university would be hard as the vast majority are completely full,. Hope you get on well with your course anyway, sure you'll be fine!
Reply 31
Kammy-
Same.

I wouldn't worry. I got a B at A level history and have just graduated with a 2.1 (although in history joint honours). You can do a third of your degree outside of history, which infact you have to do in first year anyway. You can do your subsids in pretty much any subject so you can fill them with philosophy if you want. Have a look at http://modulecatalogue.nottingham.ac.uk/nottingham/asp/FindModule.asp which will show you the very wide range of modules after first year.
Reply 32
jgosden
If you have an offer i'd say your definitely best off sticking with it. We actually filled all of our clearing vacancies today and we didn't have any in a similar course really anyway. Finding a clearing vacancy for Philosophy at a good university would be hard as the vast majority are completely full,. Hope you get on well with your course anyway, sure you'll be fine!

Yeah I thought that would be the case. Thank you for your well wishes - I was just in a fluster because I really didn't expect that outcome.

blone_bomb
I wouldn't worry. I got a B at A level history and have just graduated with a 2.1 (although in history joint honours). You can do a third of your degree outside of history, which infact you have to do in first year anyway. You can do your subsids in pretty much any subject so you can fill them with philosophy if you want. Have a look at http://modulecatalogue.nottingham.ac.uk/nottingham/asp/FindModule.asp which will show you the very wide range of modules after first year.

Thanks for the link, I'll check that out. I'm sure it'll work out ok in the end.

Oh and well done on your degree! =]
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

AAB, 3 UMS away from an A in chemistry, 3 UMS away from my nottingham offer. I called them up, i was going to do Economics, they said if i remark and get the 3 UMS then im in, CROSSSED FINGERS.

I loved everything about notts and im crushed, congratz to all of you with your results and comiserations to those who missed out!

Further, my insurance birmignham i missed the accomodation deadline, what do i do now? haha

Latest

Trending

Trending