Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I can't stand Bob Geldof, just because he arranged a concert twenty years ago he thinks he is a saint. Nevermind the billions in aid that the US, Britain and others have given to the developing world, if Bob's not involved then it never happened.

If there's any proof needed that Bob, Bono and the rest don't know what they are talking about, the fact that the Live 8 concert will be free should suffice. Anyone with a basic knowledge of economics should know that the market price for such tickets is at least £25, if not £50. There is the potential for raising millions for anti-poverty charities, but no, its just going to be a day out for all those who want to say "Yeah man, I'm making poverty history".

It's a gimmick. I'm sure the millions that are suffering in the world will be so glad that a bunch of lefties are at a concert singing against poverty.

Also, I've seen on here that some are planning to protest at the G8 meeting. Instead of going to protest against an organisation that is giving billions in aid to the developing world, why don't you donate the cost of your transport to Glenneagles to charity and stay at home. You won't get on TV, have the chance to shout anti-capitalist nonsense, or break down some fences, but you may well make a difference to a suffering child in Africa ... *clicks fingers*, two suffering children ... *clicks fingers*, three suffering children ... *clicks fingers*

What do you think about Bob and his great day out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John82)

totally agree, can't stand bob, i don't see how his day out for people who like the same music as him will help the poor. i think it's a i'm-still-on-the-map stunt.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure, on one hand it will raise awareness (but if you don't realise people are suffering, do you live in a cave?)

It does seem like a bit of a token gesture though. Maybe we need to see how it pans out.

ReputationRep:
    The only good I can see coming out of it is another 20 year break of peace before he comes back for more. Engraving even more anti-globalization, anti-capitalist prejudice into the minds of the young could starve people of this country, never mind the millions of Africans it'll make forever-reliant upon the international welfare state.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it's a good incentive for people to give to charity. Some people would kill to see all these people live in one concert, so if it raises money, what's the harm in it?

ReputationRep:
    I think some of the points are legitimate ones, like paying for the tickets, but do yuo really trust our government to be bothered about those in need in other countires when they cant do anything about the relative poverty here. These sets of concerts could serve as a kick up the backside for our esteemed leaders.

(Original post by John82)
    I can't stand Bob Geldof, just because he arranged a concert twenty years ago he thinks he is a saint. Nevermind the billions in aid that the US, Britain and others have given to the developing world, if Bob's not involved then it never happened.

If there's any proof needed that Bob, Bono and the rest don't know what they are talking about, the fact that the Live 8 concert will be free should suffice. Anyone with a basic knowledge of economics should know that the market price for such tickets is at least £25, if not £50. There is the potential for raising millions for anti-poverty charities, but no, its just going to be a day out for all those who want to say "Yeah man, I'm making poverty history".

It's a gimmick. I'm sure the millions that are suffering in the world will be so glad that a bunch of lefties are at a concert singing against poverty.

Also, I've seen on here that some are planning to protest at the G8 meeting. Instead of going to protest against an organisation that is giving billions in aid to the developing world, why don't you donate the cost of your transport to Glenneagles to charity and stay at home. You won't get on TV, have the chance to shout anti-capitalist nonsense, or break down some fences, but you may well make a difference to a suffering child in Africa ... *clicks fingers*, two suffering children ... *clicks fingers*, three suffering children ... *clicks fingers*

I think Bob Geldoff is a great guy. I watched an interview with him once where he admitted he hated doing charity work, and would rather have gone years back to singing. The reason he didn't is because he knew no one else could be arsed to do it.

Live Aid wasn't just about making money, it was about increasing awareness. As is this one. Hell, when was the last time you saw anything in the news about famines in africa? we have gotten so used to it.
    This isn't about just making loads of money, its about raising awareness.
    The ticket isn't actually free per se. You text a special number with your name and address (costing something like £1.50 and then they are drawn out a lottery).
    A great deal of money will come from sponsor type derals, and TV broadcast rights.

AS for the scotland thing, thats just your average demonstration. Yes we know that anti-capitalist gimps follow around G8 summits and will no doubt try to hijack this, but thats no reason not to try to make our voices heard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    I think Bob Geldoff is a great guy. I watched an interview with him once where he admitted he hated doing charity work, and would rather have gone years back to singing. The reason he didn't is because he knew no one else could be arsed to do it.
    One thing people neglect to mention is tat not only is he involved in the Make Poverty History Coallition, but he is also a prominent supporter of the Fathers4Justice campaign, he took part in a special documentary/interview with Paxman to put forward their cause if I remember rightly.

ReputationRep:
    I remember some documentry on Channel 4 he made on fathers' rights, it was pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    Either way, i think its good to raise awareness, but i think the main problem is the corrupt governments in Africa, and perhaps something more should be done about that rather than condemning countries which are doing a lot to help financially (well Britain is, anyway thanks to Brown)

I also think its quite irresponsible of him to try and get 1 million demonstrators in Edinburgh, surely that's a security risk. But i think he's doing something he believes strongly in, and i respect him for that. Like I said, its good to raise awareness.

ReputationRep:
    Actually the £1.50 system is a genius way to raise money. Think about it.....if you sold the tickets for £25 quid each, then you know how much money you're gonna get: 150,000 tickets * 25 = 3.75Million
    But think how many entries there are gonna be into the competition? I reckon that the odds will be at least 20 to 1 on those tickets.....possibly even higher. So overall you will end up making more money. The idea is that if everyone thinks "hmmm I would pay about £25 for a ticket, and I get a pair if I win...that means I can probably merit entering this text competition a good 10 times or so...and if I dont win at least the money goes to charity". You see, they're gonna get so much more out of the competition then they would just selling the tickets at a fixed price.

ReputationRep:
    I also think its quite irresponsible of him to try and get 1 million demonstrators in Edinburgh, surely that's a security risk. But i think he's doing something he believes strongly in, and i respect him for that. Like I said, its good to raise awareness.
    As well as trying to get the Pope on board, and having 8 + world leaders in Gleneagles. Its going to be mad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fr_browne)
    I think some of the points are legitimate ones, like paying for the tickets, but do yuo really trust our government to be bothered about those in need in other countires when they cant do anything about the relative poverty here.
    o.O isn't the definition of relative poverty that nothing can be done about it?

ReputationRep:
    I'd quite like to find out how much Bob Geldof earns and how much of that he gives to africa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonD)
    The only good I can see coming out of it is another 20 year break of peace before he comes back for more. Engraving even more anti-globalization, anti-capitalist prejudice into the minds of the young could starve people of this country, never mind the millions of Africans it'll make forever-reliant upon the international welfare state.
    How is he engraving anti-capitalist prejudice into the minds of the young? All he is doing is demanding an end to poverty. I've never heard him make a statement against capitalism as a whole.

Unless of course you're inferring that poverty is an inevitable consequence of capitalism, and therefore to stand against poverty is to stand against capitalism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophieD)
    Either way, i think its good to raise awareness, but i think the main problem is the corrupt governments in Africa, and perhaps something more should be done about that rather than condemning countries which are doing a lot to help financially (well Britain is, anyway thanks to Brown)

Its not a security risk. Edinburgh frequently puts on huge events on a similar scale to this protest. In fact, if any city in Europe is well suited to hold such an event, its Edinburgh.

It seems strange how the police are against it, but the city council seem to have given the figures the all clear.

ReputationRep:
    But do they have them on the same day as summits of world leaders. Knowing what happened last time the G8 met, I don't think I'd risk going.

ReputationRep:
    People will sell their tickets on ebay surely? It will become another wristband-style rip off.

ReputationRep:
    its not the money he wants you fool , he wants thousands of people to turn up, show that they care, so that in turn tony blair will do something about it at the g8 summit, as he will be able to see that we do care as a nation. also all the people that will turn up will cause the public transport to collapse and london will be at a standsitll. excellent.............

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachaelmarie)
    But do they have them on the same day as summits of world leaders. Knowing what happened last time the G8 met, I don't think I'd risk going.
    What the hell do you thinks going to happen?!? You only get into trouble if you want to get into trouble.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.