Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure whether this has been done, but i thought it might be useful if current uni students could help us newbies and put things down here that usually would be forgotten, but are useful. Basically anything that you think we should take

ReputationRep:
    http://www.studential.com/checklist/

Taaa daaaa

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mousey)
    http://www.studential.com/checklist/

Taaa daaaa
    Nice one, thats a lot of stuff to take though! Especially when you are going as far as me!

ReputationRep:
    Well maybe you don't need to take it all. Whatever is relevant to you. I don't need all the self catering stuffcos i'm catered. xx

ReputationRep:
    Alcohol.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by bohogirlie)
    Nice one, thats a lot of stuff to take though! Especially when you are going as far as me!
    Some of the stuff on that list is on twice, and some stuff isn't actually necessary! Like they'll have dryers, so you don't really need a clothes horse, and everyone takes one anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Some of the stuff on that list is on twice, and some stuff isn't actually necessary! Like they'll have dryers, so you don't really need a clothes horse, and everyone takes one anyway!
    You may need one in 2/3rd year if your not in halls and your house dosn't have a dryer. Lots of stuff on the list wont be necessary for lots of people but some people will find it useful. It's generally just to jog peoples memories and make them think about things they would never have thought to bring.

I'll try and remove any duplicates asap.

ReputationRep:
    One tip: rather than buy lots of stuff that you think you need now, wait until you actually get to uni and discover what you really do need, and buy it then. This way you don't end up with loads of useless crap you never use, and it also makes coming home much more fun as you try to fit twice the amount of stuff you came with into the car.

ReputationRep:
    things to take...ummm...
    I will be doing Product Design with Multimedia

Computer...hopefuly a new one just for me
    DVDs...Goodfellas, Schindlers List...films I can't be without
    Photo Album of friends and family
    Digital camera
    couple of airsoft guns (there are so many things you don't want to leave at home to your family!)
    Computer games

and the things to me more at home; "We want you for US Army" <-- the Uncle Sam poster. An A3 paper cutter (invaluable!!)

I'm going to end up collecting the rest of the household essentials as I need them

ReputationRep:
    Door wedge and multi plug sockets.

ReputationRep:
    Do most university bedrooms/dorms have internet/DSL connection for those wishing to set up a computer in their own room? And is it usually free?

ReputationRep:
    For most of them it is there, but there is a charge. It's usually a one off payment which is very good value.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pav27)
    Do most university bedrooms/dorms have internet/DSL connection for those wishing to set up a computer in their own room? And is it usually free?
    It is normally free, or a very low connection cost..

I would recommend having your own pc / laptop..

and i didnt have a telly in my first year, and my god i missed it so so so much

_Cr

ReputationRep:
    Posters and things are great to make the room "yours".

Beer and alcohol is a nice way to break the ice.... when moving in aswell... just leave your door wideopen so people can pop their heads around the corner and introduce themselves. If they're hot, offer them a beer.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Crunchie)
    It is normally free, or a very low connection cost..

I would recommend having your own pc / laptop..

and i didnt have a telly in my first year, and my god i missed it so so so much

_Cr
    I didn't have a TV and didn't miss it at all. And the few people who did bring one rarely watched it. It's just a waste of £100 licence fee really

ReputationRep:
    condoms

ReputationRep:
    Common sense

ReputationRep:
    you'd be amazed at how many people don't bring common sense.

I find my leatherman incredibly useful at uni. As is a printer.

Also a couple of spare lengths of network cable come in handy (even if its just to sell/give to people who have forgotten theres).

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest not taking pens/paper etc with you, as you'll probably find that your Student Union shop will have stationery at cheaper prices.

Also, during Freshers week there are likely to be poster sales etc, so you should be able to find things to brighten up your room.

(At least this happened at both universities I went to)

Good luck with starting uni

ReputationRep:
    I have just got hold of a box, very very deep and wide and plastic (which when at uni I can use to store other stuff). I am planning to fill with stuff as the summer progresses as I am 100% moving out in September (although my mum wants me out now! )

I was wondering if I should get kitchen ware, only a couple of plates, bowls and forks, knifes and spoons, as I am a self catering gal despite me never cooking in my life(!) before I go or when I arrive.

I am really fussy about people using my stuff, eatting something I brought (My mum eats cakes I buy and it bugs) etc etc. The worse is people using my mugs. I know uni is a time for everyone to be mates but I honestly have a major problem with it and I would hate to cause trouble because of it. I won't be as bad as labelling every egg but you know it bugs me sooooo bad. My mum said she'll get me a label maker because of this but I am unsure. Advice?

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.