can i still take a gap year? Watch

This discussion is closed.
onelove
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
even though i accepted my offers and am set to go to uni in Sept i was wondering can i decide to take a gap year after all. someone i spoke to said you can wait till you get your results then still defer your entry? could anyone give me details about this like:
do you have to pay top up fees?
is it at the descresion of the uni?

one
E12_MAT
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I took my gap year a month before i was ment to go to uni, once they told me i had a place i asked for defered and it was as simple as that.

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/new/press/gapyear.html
http://www.dfes.gov.uk/studentsuppor...nance_ar.shtml

those should give you a bit more info aslong as you got the uni to defer your place you shouldnt have to pay top up fees!

matt
Nellz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by E12_MAT)
I took my gap year a month before i was ment to go to uni, once they told me i had a place i asked for defered and it was as simple as that.

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/new/press/gapyear.html
http://www.dfes.gov.uk/studentsuppor...nance_ar.shtml

those should give you a bit more info aslong as you got the uni to defer your place you shouldnt have to pay top up fees!

matt
I think you have to defer it by the July 1st or August 1st. I can't remeber which one, otherwise you'll have to pay fees - that is if the uni will let you.
Madelyn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Ask your uni if they'll let you defer. Explain why and what you're planning to do in your gap year.
In order to avoid top up fees, you need to have a letter conforming your deferred place (for entry 2006) dated before 1st August 2005.
happydinosaur
Badges: 14
Report 13 years ago
If you want to have a gap year ask your uni as soon as possible. When I asked it took them ages to consider it and then they said no...so then I had to appeal. The whole process took a while. So do it quick as there is a deadline to avoid top up fees
se77en
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by sparklyteacosie)
If you want to have a gap year ask your uni as soon as possible. When I asked it took them ages to consider it and then they said no...so then I had to appeal. The whole process took a while. So do it quick as there is a deadline to avoid top up fees
what did you have to do? did you phone up or write to them?
happydinosaur
Badges: 14
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by se77en)
I wrote to the admissions office who sent my application back to the admissions tutor for my course who then emailed me to say that they were disinclined to let me defer. So I emailed back to explain my reasons further and then they let me...It all took forever though!!
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I would suggest you contact the university ASAP (i.e. this week if possible), so they could change their records and stuff like that. Since you are deferring, there is no need to pay the top up fees, you pay the flat rate instead.
onelove
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
aite cool thanks for the help. i betta hurry up and decide i definately want one!
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by onelove)
aite cool thanks for the help. i betta hurry up and decide i definately want one!
If you decide you don't want one during results day suddenly, you could tell them that, and they might accept you, as you got the right grades.
undiscovered
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by se77en)
I emailed my uni and they got back straight away, simply saying I have until July 1st to decide whether I want to defer or not (I probably won't now). If I decide I want to then I just have to email them back and they'll sort it I guess.
Apricot Fairy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Tell them your family circumstances have changed and you'll now have to get a job and pay your way, otherwise you can't afford it. Then they'll have to let you defer!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (140)
46.51%
Pro-humanity (161)
53.49%

Watched Threads