The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
girlfairy28
King's rejected my application and even said that I cudnt apply again as they want AAA and I have AAB and that they dont take resit applicants!!
I dont know what to do!!
Should I take up the UCL Biomedicine offer and then graduate level medicine which is harder to get into?
Or apply again next year with fewer university options as many dont take in resit applicants?
Im soo confused!!!!

A lot of unis accept AAB for Medicine. :/
Reply 41
girlfairy28
King's rejected my application and even said that I cudnt apply again as they want AAA and I have AAB and that they dont take resit applicants!!
I dont know what to do!!
Should I take up the UCL Biomedicine offer and then graduate level medicine which is harder to get into?
Or apply again next year with fewer university options as many dont take in resit applicants?
Im soo confused!!!!

i agree with baki. loads accet AAB still and you're at an advantage because you already have your grades in hand. Don't do biomed if you're not committed - you'll always be thinking what if
Reply 42
kc91
I am absolutely devastated. I had an offer for southampton's BM6 course for which i needed 3 Cs. I got BCD and they've rejected me even though i had very seriousextenuating circumstances that they knew before hand. I have absolutely no idea what to do and cannot believe that i have missed a CCC offer. I dont want to go through clearing because my heart is set on medicine and i cant get onto any decent courses at decent unis. I just dont know what to do - i was predicted BBB and have fallen so short. It was my dream course at my dream uni and ive thrown it all away. I cant even get remarks for the D because i was 19 marks of the C in chem. I cant stop crying either - has anyone got any advice

I have an offer for bm6 course aswell. I think if you can speak to someone other than reception, they may consider you. If you performed well at your interview or ukcat etc they may take this into account.
Reply 43
asos89
I have an offer for bm6 course aswell. I think if you can speak to someone other than reception, they may consider you. If you performed well at your interview or ukcat etc they may take this into account.

my ukcat was very low - way below average but i think my interview was good, considering i only waited a week and half from interview to offer. in fact i think i may have been one of the first people to get an offer (my offer date was 17th march). the lady on the phone said that my appplication had been reffered to someone and that person had said no - i dont know who it was though. i really want to go down to soton myself. do you think it is worth emailing the 2 bm6 lecturers about my situation. tbh im just so disheartened about the whole situation - i never thought in a million years i would miss the grade in bio and miss a CCC offer
girlfairy28
I dont know what to do!!
Im soo confused!!!!

Why do you need to resit? The vast majority of medical schools require AAB and you'd be at an advantage by already having your grades - you might just have to leave London :eek:
usernamerequired
Am new here.. so be nice :smile:

Got my results, and unfortunately i didnt get my 2 A's, instead i got B, B, C.

I have been currently looking at universities in clearing, i know with biomedicin, i could get into medicine, if i tried transferrring, only if i did exceptionally well, im thinking of doing my Chemistry again, so i get a higher grade, but i was wondering can you do the transferring thing with any other science subjects, like, Biological Science or Biochemistry? Since i live in london, one close to home would be good, but it has to be a good uni, like worth it, where there is actually good outcomes, and i wouldnt mind going far. I was looking at machester met, but its not all that :s-smilie: just so confused atm, really wasnt expecting such low grades.. especially as i was predicited 2a's and B i know i effed up somewhere :frown:

Anybody able to help me :frown:

Wow. Im in the EXACT same position. Didn't expect BBC at all! Luckily Liverpool transferred me to another course so i will doing biological sciences in September. I'm really really gutted too but there will always be ways of getting into Medicine if your heart is set on it.

I'm probably biased as i have chosen to take another course but i think you should probably take up another course and go for graduate. Your heart may be set on Medicine right now but who knows in 3 years time? And if you still really want to do Medicine after 3 years then that means you would have probably have the motivation to get the 1st and 2:1 and work exp etc. which wouldn't disadvantage you from anyone else!

I looked into clearing too, i found quite a few decent uni's with biomed/biochem offers. For example Warwick, York and Sheffield. Liverpool must have spaces for their biomedical courses as i got to pretty much pick from a sheet.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you do.
Reply 46
Sprout_hair
Wow. Im in the EXACT same position. Didn't expect BBC at all! Luckily Liverpool transferred me to another course so i will doing biological sciences in September. I'm really really gutted too but there will always be ways of getting into Medicine if your heart is set on it.

This, I completely agree. No matter how disappointed anyone is at the moment remember there are always other opportunities and ways to achieve your goal, don't let one setback hold your back from your ambitions.

I didn't put nearly enough effort or have enough direction during school, but finally at 23 years old I've got my chance to study medicine. It may take longer than expected, but if you're determined enough - you'll get there.

This is a pretty relevant story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8164624.stm
Reply 47
I got an offer from Cardiff med school of AAB, and I fell short with ABB.
I wasn't expecting to get this, but for some reason, I did spectacularly bad in one unit of each of Bio and Chemistry (which I didn't expect). I'm sending them in for remark, as I really think I did better than that.

Anyway, Cardiff medical school, I can't seem to get in touch by phone and I've sent an email they haven't replied to. I managed to get in contact by phone on results day, but not directly to the medical department, and I was told that my application was still being considered.

However I don't know how long they will take. I can't seem to get in touch with them at all (are universities open on saturday?). I can't officially go through clearing either as I still have the offer on UCAS.

Can anyone help or suggest what to do
Thanks.
Reply 48
dino1
Wait out.

See what happens over the next couple of days, don't think you have to rush to clearing, there'll still be some rubbish that nobody wanted left. :wink:
Reply 49
Also if anyone has been in this situation before, I'd be grateful if they shared their experience (PM me or post on thread).
dino1
I got an offer from Cardiff med school of AAB, and I fell short with ABB.
I wasn't expecting to get this, but for some reason, I did spectacularly bad in one unit of each of Bio and Chemistry (which I didn't expect). I'm sending them in for remark, as I really think I did better than that.

Anyway, Cardiff medical school, I can't seem to get in touch by phone and I've sent an email they haven't replied to. I managed to get in contact by phone on results day, but not directly to the medical department, and I was told that my application was still being considered.

However I don't know how long they will take. I can't seem to get in touch with them at all (are universities open on saturday?). I can't officially go through clearing either as I still have the offer on UCAS.

Thanks.

Keep your hopes up but have a backup in mind, what are you planning to do if you don't get in?
Reply 51
I'm in a very similar situation.

Only thing you can do is be patient.
Reply 52
wow lucky you!!!
hey guys

I got ABC and I didnt actually apply to uni cos of health problems during AS exams. My C was chem which was 13 ums off a B. i dont think a remark would help really... it was mod 6 that let me down!

Ive phoned up all the unis and they wont consider me for resit because the minimum is BBB

So at first i went thru clearing and got a few economics offers- cos that was my A and i really enjoy it

then i was considering still doing medicine, i might do biomed but the thought just depresses me

has anyone had a successful transfer after biomed? cos i know theyre not guaranteed but has anyone had one? ive seen this thing at bradford uni which is clinical sciences and apprently after the first year if u get 70% u can transfer. does anyone know about this/been on it? or is it just a hoax?

i am sooo devastated cos i was so close and i could have resat too, but the unis dont care about my extenuating circumstances....!

what should i do? im still really interested in medicine, but im not keen on biomed and how ppl are saying postgrad is more competitive!!

thanks x
Reply 54
aSian_cUtY
wow lucky you!!!

Not technically lucky. Was sitting on a comfortable A in Biology before the last remaining unit in june where I achieved a D (and I thought the unit went well, lol). Put me under an A.
Huge shock for me :sadnod:

Plus I think Cardiff do this with all applicants who narrowly miss offer.
Reply 55
yep, im in the exact same position as you, only with southampton. i got 2 Es in biology units 5 and 6 which were completely unexpected too and have brought my whole grade down. requested remarks but not looking too hopeful even though i thought those units were my best out of the entire exam season. doing another degree really looks tempting now but the way i see it, is if i reapply better courses will be out there at better unis instead of the crap they've got now
Reply 56
rj0804
yep, im in the exact same position as you, only with southampton. i got 2 Es in biology units 5 and 6 which were completely unexpected too and have brought my whole grade down. requested remarks but not looking too hopeful even though i thought those units were my best out of the entire exam season. doing another degree really looks tempting now but the way i see it, is if i reapply better courses will be out there at better unis instead of the crap they've got now

I already took unit 5 biology and got an A in it, only had unit 6 left.
I'm hoping a remark might change things, but I'm expecting the worst.

Problem is with other degrees is that it's hard to get into them as I'm not officially in clearing. Very annoying to be honest.
p.s. what did you get overall?

Does the university you go to really matter for graduate or is it mainly whether you get a 1st or 2:1 etc.?
Reply 57
Kinkerz
I'm in a very similar situation.

Only thing you can do is be patient.

what happened?
Reply 58
good luck op
Reply 59
bean87
what happened?

Offer was AAB. I got AAC.

Medical school has put me on a reserve list and is going to let me know whether or not they'll take me in a few days...

Latest

Trending

Trending