The Student Room Group

How/where can i get a job, when im only 15?

I will be 16 in november (end) an this summer i have four weeks to spare, and would like to get a temporary job in that time. i can work anywere and have some voulantary work experiance. Preferably i am looking at a job lasting the whole 4 weeks and being 5 or 6 days a week, working 5-8 hours a day.
I have never done this before, so i would like to know two things:
1) Where. What shops will employ me? Can i be employed in a pub that serves food? How easy it is to be employed in these places?
2) How. How do i get it? Do i go in person? When i arrive, who do i ask to talk to? What are the best times to go into a cafe looking for a job?

What pay can i expect?
Thanks

The MixXxsta,
MixXx Master Mike
Reply 1
I don't think you can work in pubs until you're 16, and you can't serve alcohol. There's probably a government page on minimum ages somewhere (Google it), telling you exactly what you can and can't do. Or you could just ask at local shops and cafés, explaining that you're fifteen.
There's no reason why you shouldn't go in person, or you could phone. Just say that you're looking for a summer job and wondered if they were hiring. Go in when it's not too busy - obviously they'll be happier to talk to you if they're not trying to serve customers.
Reply 2
paper round is the best i can think of
I started working when I was about 10 (child labour!) I had a paper round, although my boss thought I was 13, so I got away with it!!!

By the time I was 13 I had three paper rounds-a midweek one and two morning ones. When I was 14 I worked as a dishwasher in my local pub, didn't like it there, so I soon left, and started working part time in a little clothes shop in the village, and also did bits and bobs on a market stall for a friend-so there is hope out there for you!

Alot of shops and companies won't emply anyone under 16 so you might struggle, but keep looking, something'll turn up.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 4
I worked in a pub when i was 14! But i live in the countryside and we dont have a lot of rules out here!
Reply 5
Thanks, but most of this is either non applicable to me, or is not what i am loooooking for! I am really looking for a job that would last all day, and would e every day for a month, not just one hour a day, or one days work... But thanks anyways
Reply 6
Co-op employ 15 year olds - not the most thrilling job but a suggestion!
Reply 7
My sister has a job waitressing at a nearby hotel, hairdressers employ underage (i mean like private owned, not toni and guy or anything) so do little private shops. Basically, anywhere that is not a big chain store.
Reply 8
some restaurants employ people underage, as well as little not so well known shops.
i know the minimum wage for 16 year olds is £3 an hour. so just go and ask, if they say no just go to the next shop. but, KEEP trying you'll get one.
Reply 9
mixXx_master
I will be 16 in november (end) an this summer i have four weeks to spare, and would like to get a temporary job in that time. i can work anywere and have some voulantary work experiance. Preferably i am looking at a job lasting the whole 4 weeks and being 5 or 6 days a week, working 5-8 hours a day.
I have never done this before, so i would like to know two things:
1) Where. What shops will employ me? Can i be employed in a pub that serves food? How easy it is to be employed in these places?
2) How. How do i get it? Do i go in person? When i arrive, who do i ask to talk to? What are the best times to go into a cafe looking for a job?

What pay can i expect?
Thanks

The MixXxsta,
MixXx Master Mike

My younger brother, he works at this local shop right, he's just recently turned 15, but he comes home with £80 at end of week. He works as a paper boy, but from 7-9pm he just stacks up the shelfs. I mean £80 a week is more than enough for him, acutally i take most of it off him to save it until he's 16 :biggrin:. Don't know if that helps but until ur 16 best jobs are local ones. :wink:
-xsarahx-
hairdressers employ underage (i mean like private owned, not toni and guy or anything)

Apparently Toni and Guy employ 15 year olds...but I can't imagine that's what you're looking for (not being prejudiced or anything).

I have exactly the same problem, except slightly more annoying - I'm in year 11 so I have loads of free time this summer as I obviously don't have to go back to school now (except for exams but they finish in a few weeks) - but I'm not 16 until the end of the summer. So...even though I can legally work full-time (as I've left school) most employers won't employ me anyway as I'm under 16 (company policy n all that...).

Second thing...I don't really want to just walk in somewhere local and ask for a job because I look younger than I am. I got asked in a restaurant the other day if I wanted a kids menu!! Anyway...I think if I can't into a shop or somewhere, they'll just laugh and say 'how old are you??!!'

You see the problems?

If anyone can offer advice to me either, I'd appreciate it!

MissSurfer
Reply 11
I know it's not helping you to find a job but this page is useful in telling you the working laws for people your age: http://www.connexions-leics.org/work/13_16.htm. There are strict restrictions on what you can legally do and to work as an under 16 year old you need to apply for a work permit. Though I don't think this necessarily applies to you MissSurfer as it says if you're under 16 and still at school.
Jenn xx
I've been roping in £5 an hour since I was 15 and a 1/2 running a pub kitchen (now 18!), but I earned it by washing up from 13 and climbing the ladder!
JennLlama
Though I don't think this necessarily applies to you MissSurfer as it says if you're under 16 and still at school.
Jenn xx

Yeh...the rules about if you've left school but are still 15 are not very clear - even the connexions online advisor didn't know! Thanks anyway,

MissSurfer
I earn £40 each Saturday from 7am - 12pm!
Reply 15
Where can i find these advertising/leafleting agencies?
Reply 16
If you're not 16 you certainly won't be able to work as many hours as you want. And most places won't employ until you're 16, or at least have an NI number.

Latest

Trending

Trending