shirleyb
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I am planning to apply to Psychology with Criminology course, but can't choose University. Most of them offer rather just Psychology or Criminology.

So may be someone will recommend me University, where it's possible to study this course??

I have only found Middlesex, Coventry, Bedfordshire, Porthmouth, Teesside, Salford etc. but i don't really think these are good Universities (low raking) ...
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by shirleyb)
I am planning to apply to Psychology with Criminology course, but can't choose University. Most of them offer rather just Psychology or Criminology.

So may be someone will recommend me University, where it's possible to study this course??

I have only found Middlesex, Coventry, Bedfordshire, Porthmouth, Teesside, Salford etc. but i don't really think these are good Universities (low raking) ...
http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_...22&y=12&sub=53

Good universities for psychology - go through them and see which do criminology with it.

An alternative could be to do a psychology course and pick modules during that course relating to criminology/forensic psychology.

Afaik criminology isn't particularly highly regarded so you might be hard pushed to find a high ranking uni which offers it.
Mackem85
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Criminology is regarded well, some of the top universities offer it, if not at undergraduate level then definitely postgrad level.

If you wish to take psychology then ensure the degree is accredited by the BPS. This will enable you to train to be a psychologist if you so wish.

Alternatively, as Sabertooth has mentioned, take a psychology degree with criminology modules.

It will be worth looking into both, as more unis offer psychology than psychology with criminology.
~ Purple Rose ~
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That was one of the combinations that I was looking at

From what I can remember, places like Wolverhampton/Worcester/Wrexham do that combination, I'm not sure what higher-ranking places do it though.
tahreem jawahery
Report 10 years ago
Hello,,

am new at this site.....

and am looking for the subject of criminology and i did get any book of it....

if some one knows about the best books of criminology so plz contact wid me thanks you so much ....

new user of the student room......
Mackem85
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tahreem jawahery)
Hello,,

am new at this site.....

and am looking for the subject of criminology and i did get any book of it....

if some one knows about the best books of criminology so plz contact wid me thanks you so much ....

new user of the student room......
Have a look at the criminology large thread somewhere on this board (it has loads of pages) and it has recommendations for books and info on the courses available.
ultimate mashup
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Psychology and criminology is offered at:

Hull (280 UCAS points)
Trent (300 UCAS points)

Both are BPS accredited
ruthie22
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have just finished my degree in Criminology and Psychology at Derby Uni.

I did the Joint Honours course which means you can 2 or 3 subjects and choose as little or as much of each one as you want. For example, there are 8 modules a year in total, and if you did joint, you would do 4 crim and 4 psyc. I did this in my first year but then I found i liked criminology more so in year 2 and 3 i did 6 criminology modules and 2 psyc modules.

I found this really useful as it is so flexible and you still have a lot of choice. I know Derby isn't one of the top ranking uni's but I really enjoyed my time there and the staff were so supportive. I did not get great A-level grades, but have come out of Derby with a 2:1 degree and I am going to Leicester Uni in October to complete a Masters in Clinical Criminology.

It's not necessarily the uni you go to, but more what you make of it!

Good luck!
currya
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Chester, Liverpool John Moores, De Monfort, Leeds met, York St Johns, Hull, UCLAN
leavingsosoon?
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Its proably better to go to a lower rank uni if you like the place and the course and graduate with a good degree classification rather than going to a top uni and getting a 2:2. Uni of sunderland and northumbria I think do that course. However you could go to a top uni to study perhaps psychology and some may let you do electives (a couple of modules) in criminology as well, but it'll mainly be psychology.
Superstar6318
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Trent/De Montfort/Canterbury/Middlesex/Hull/UCLAN would be good
Megginty
Report 8 years ago
Southampton University offer the combined course as well
Socialscientist
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Don't think anyone has mentioned Keele yet? by far the best Criminology dept in the UK which has a dedicated undergratuate course....
SpicyStrawberry
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Sheffield Hallam offer this course, I applied for it and they offered 280 points (it is however not accredited by the BPS which you need in order to go on to do training as a psychologist)
Keele also offer it (I'm pretty sure, they offer dozens of combined honours courses, and their Criminology dept is supposed to be excellent).
miss faerie
Report 8 years ago
Hey Southampton do, plus it's a top ranked uni
Beth46
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey, I want to do this too! Just ordered a load of prospectus' so I really need to decide soon
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Nov '19
  • University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties - Undergraduate and Postgraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (218)
70.32%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
18.71%
Yes but I might change my mind (34)
10.97%

Watched Threads