Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right OCR exam board, biology paper, June 2003

Cause OCR r gay and dont publish past papers, cant find the answer anywhere, so here ya go.

"As Andrew jogs, his muscles use up glucose from his blood.

Blood Glucose is replaced from carbohydrate stored in his body.

Describe the process. Explain how it is controlled" [3 marks]

Im pretty sure its sumthin to do with glucagon, turnin carbs into glucose or sumfin, bt cant find a defo answer and its the only question on the paper bugging me lol

ReputationRep:
    blood sugar is low due to an increase in activity and the brain detects this in the hypothalamus, glucogon is released from the pancreas and it converts glycogen (which is stored in the liver) into glucose which is used by his muscles

ReputationRep:
    do well cheers

see i was on the right lines :P

ReputationRep:
    isnt it year 10 stuff?omg, if year 10 stuff comes up, I completely forgot it.

ReputationRep:
    whats the diff between ocr and other boards.....cos i am doin aqa double award......n the answer given by llanberismecca is exactly the same for what we do

ReputationRep:
    whats the diff between ocr and other boards.....cos i am doin aqa double award......n the answer given by llanberismecca is exactly the same for what we do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InTeRRoGaToR)

lol nothing much. Maybe the fonts! :p: The Science doesn't change from board to board

ReputationRep:
    u guys do modules dont u ar something. also ocr grade boundaries are some times lower coz there are some harder parts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninja32)

Cause OCR r gay and dont publish past papers, cant find the answer anywhere, so here ya go.

Im pretty sure its sumthin to do with glucagon, turnin carbs into glucose or sumfin, bt cant find a defo answer and its the only question on the paper bugging me lol
    Im probably wrong but i think that it`s to do with Glycogen stores in the liver being stimulated to be broken down into glucose which the body can use...
    you should ask jeeves.

ReputationRep:
    Low blood glucose level (BGL) is detected in the hypothalamus. Electrical impulses (NOT ELECTRONIC) travel to the pancreas, where glucagon is secreted into the blood. This changes the permeability of the liver cells to glycogen is broken down to glucose and can diffuse into the blood, thus increasing the BGL.

ReputationRep:
    If blood sugar level is detected in the hypothalamus, what is it in the brain that detects body temp and tells the kidneys to put more water in the blood when the body is too hot. Is it the hypothalamus too?

ReputationRep:
    I thought the alpha and beta cells detect the changes in blood glucose conc.. Or is that something else?

ReputationRep:
    What are alpha and beta cells? Isn't that radiation, with alpha and beta particles?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noofruit)
    What are alpha and beta cells? Isn't that radiation, with alpha and beta particles?
    no, no...

they are the cells of the islets of langerhans of the pancreas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by violet)
    I thought the alpha and beta cells detect the changes in blood glucose conc.. Or is that something else?
    Your right,

alpha cells in the islets of langerhans of the pancreas detect an increase in the blood glucose concentration. They secrete insulin, which causes the blood glucose levels to decrease by converting glucose to glycogen (which is stored in the liver) and by increasing the metabollic activity of cells so they take up more glucose.

beta cells in the islets of langerhans of the pancreas dectect a decreas in the blood glucose level, they secrete glucagon. Glucagon converts glycogen and amino acids to glucose, which causes glucose concentration of the blood to increase.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revenged)
    Your right,

alpha cells in the islets of langerhans of the pancreas detect an increase in the blood glucose concentration. They secrete insulin, which causes the blood glucose levels to decrease by converting glucose to glycogen (which is stored in the liver) and by increasing the metabollic activity of cells so they take up more glucose.

beta cells in the islets of langerhans of the pancreas dectect a decreas in the blood glucose level, they secrete glucagon. Glucagon converts glycogen and amino acids to glucose, which causes glucose concentration of the blood to increase.
    Close.. But alpha secrete the glucagon when blood glucose is low and beta secrete the insulin when blood glucose is high (I get confused too, i just looked it up )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninja32)

what module paper is this from? central concepts? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by violet)
    Close.. But alpha secrete the glucagon when blood glucose is low and beta secrete the insulin when blood glucose is high (I get confused too, i just looked it up )
    yeh, soz, it is easy to mix them up though

ReputationRep:
    I'd be grateful if someone could draw and show me the answer to question 2 part b on:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/qp...W-QP-Jan04.pdf

«Thanks in advance.»

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 5, 2005

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.