The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ticki
She'll take students from outside Pembroke though. The historians at a given college shouldn't really sway your decision because you will have the opportunity to be taught by them whether you're at their college or not. Considering whether you'll get on with the DoS (very hard to predict, in all fairness) is slightly more useful.

I was revising last night and came across Clare Jackson's lecture notes. It reminded me to tell you that she is a big cheese for Tudor politics - she and Stephen Alford wrote the paper. My friend and I have had them for supervisors and were rather pleased with the questions that came up! :biggrin: DoSes are usually quite keen to supervise people from their college so if they're amazing at a paper you want to do (Jackson or Alford for Paper 4, Ruehl for Papers 17-20) that could be an advantage.

Thanks :smile: Is Clare Jackson a good lecturer to have then? How are your exams going? - I think you mentioned they are on around this time.
Reply 21
White_redrose
Thanks :smile: Is Clare Jackson a good lecturer to have then? How are your exams going? - I think you mentioned they are on around this time.

The lectures are open to any student (even those not taking history!) but if you mean "is it worth going to Jackson's lectures?" I would say yes. She's also a good supervisor and a good DoS. Is the distinction between the 3 clear?

DoS - makes the academic arrangements for you (i.e. finding supervisors) and is based in college.

Supervisor - sets your reading and essays, marks your essays and does the one on one teaching. Can be at any college.

Lecturer - put on lectures arranged by the faculty. Isn't necessarily affiliated with colleges.

Exams started yesterday and finish on 13th. :frown: I've had a bit of an emergency to deal with at home so I'm not overly convinced that my Tudor Politics paper went very well yesterday and doubtless the exam I have the day after the funeral won't be great, but my DoS has been very helpful and understanding so fingers crossed things will be ok even if I don't do as well as I'd like. When do AS/A-level exams finish? My sister's doing the IB now so I'm totally out of the loop.
Ticki
The lectures are open to any student (even those not taking history!) but if you mean "is it worth going to Jackson's lectures?" I would say yes. She's also a good supervisor and a good DoS. Is the distinction between the 3 clear?

DoS - makes the academic arrangements for you (i.e. finding supervisors) and is based in college.

Supervisor - sets your reading and essays, marks your essays and does the one on one teaching. Can be at any college.

Lecturer - put on lectures arranged by the faculty. Isn't necessarily affiliated with colleges. .

Thanks, that's helpful. :smile:

Ticki
Exams started yesterday and finish on 13th. :frown: I've had a bit of an emergency to deal with at home so I'm not overly convinced that my Tudor Politics paper went very well yesterday and doubtless the exam I have the day after the funeral won't be great, but my DoS has been very helpful and understanding so fingers crossed things will be ok even if I don't do as well as I'd like. When do AS/A-level exams finish? My sister's doing the IB now so I'm totally out of the loop.

:frown: I'm really sorry to hear that - I hope you are okay atm (well, not 'okay' but coping - y'know what I mean). Having a supportive DoS must hopefully be making the situation a bit easier.
I'm not sure when the AS/A level exams finish - the end of June? My last exam is the 24th - History as it happens. I'll be happy when they are all over, particularly the Chaucer paper for English Lit which I am dreading lol. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending