Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://www.usafis.org/index.asp?af=yh_ie_lrec_gqup_en

I never knew about this before.
    Did anyone else.
    How easy must it be then, to become a US citizen?!?!

ReputationRep:
    Americans have a mature view on migration. They see it as a positive whereas we see it as being the cause of everything wrong in our country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkonline)
    Americans have a mature view on migration. They see it as a positive whereas we see it as being the cause of everything wrong in our country.
    Yeah, but americas got room for it, but england doesn't have enough space, money etc. to be able to handle the massive influx of migrants that would follow with that sort of attitude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    Yeah, but americas got room for it, but england doesn't have enough space, money etc. to be able to handle the massive influx of migrants that would follow with that sort of attitude.
    We have more than enough space for skilled people who intend to work and not just use our benefits system.

Edit- money? what would we need money for their going to be putting money into our system..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffle)
    We have more than enough space for skilled people who intend to work and not just use our benefits system.

Edit- money? what would we need money for their going to be putting money into our system..
    Well, in theory, maybe. But in practice they don't. People come to england on the whole for the benefit system over here, not because of 'job opportunities' that don't exist.

ReputationRep:
    i wudnt wanna be a US citizen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moochy)
    i wudnt wanna be a US citizen
    But wouldn't it give you a (little) less chance of being blown up by them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    But wouldn't it give you a (little) less chance of being blown up by them?
    true but im not a huge fan of americans. and they wudnt notice if they blew their own country up anyway... there's plenty of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moochy)
    true but im not a huge fan of americans. and they wudnt notice if they blew their own country up anyway... there's plenty of them.

Well, i don't like america, but i don't have a problem with americans.
    There is a difference, and i just want to check that you meant exactly what you said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkonline)
    It's not surprising, is it?

ReputationRep:
    well America has a much poorer welfare system and low tax rates. People on the whole accept immigrants more into the US because they will be forced to work, or live on very low/no welfare. In the UK, with higher taxes and a much more well defined welfare system, people are not under as much pressure to work if they don't want to and the system is much more open to abuse.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's sick that they turn immigration into a lottery. Those who have the money to be in the lottery are not neccesarily those who deserve it/need it the most. Imagine how many people enter each year... and how few who win.

ReputationRep:
    the lottery is free (except for admin costs if you win). british citizens are not eligible to enter. (polish citizens are, however).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    the lottery is free (except for admin costs if you win). british citizens are not eligible to enter. (polish citizens are, however).
    the green card lottery costs money... My best friend's family won four years ago, after having payed to be in it for 12 years. That's what she told me anyways... I can ask again. they are/were Swedish btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Funshine)
    the green card lottery costs money... My best friend's family won four years ago, after having payed to be in it for 12 years. That's what she told me anyways... I can ask again. they are/were Swedish btw.
    you do not have to pay to apply for the lottery. your friends might have paid the middlemen who exploit people by saying "we will sort everything out for you" (which incidentally is free), but if your friends had done it all themselves, they wouldn't have paid.

these are the countries not eligible to apply:

Canada
    China - mainland China (nationals of Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan
    ARE included)
    Colombia
    Dominican Republic
    El Salvador
    Haiti
    India
    Jamaica
    Mexico
    Pakistan
    Philippines
    Russia
    South Korea
    United Kingdom (natives of Northern Ireland and Hong Kong are eligible, but natives of Anguilla, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Caymen Islands, Falkland Islands, Gibralter, Montserrat, Pitcairn, St. Helena, and the Turks and Caicos Islands are not eligible)
    Vietnam

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.