Turn on thread page Beta

Should we remove the Christian element from Christmas? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    All research suggests that Jesus was actually born either at the end of January or during misummer.

Christmas is and always has been a pagan festival which is why many strict christians refuse to celebrate it.

Yule and the winter solstice have been celebrated in much the same way long before and long since christianity reached these shores...the only difference being the location of midnight mass into a christian church and the introduction of advent and 12th night...which the majority of people ignore anyway.
    I'm not talking about the date, time or anything else like that - these are all commercial aspects (i.e. snow and santa). Why do we give gifts? 'Coz the Wise Men (supposedly) gave Jesus gifts.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by creativesurgeon)
    I'm not talking about the date, time or anything else like that - these are all commercial aspects (i.e. snow and santa). Why do we give gifts? 'Coz the Wise Men (supposedly) gave Jesus gifts.
    No - Yule has always been a time of gift giving, feasting and prayer, the roman festival of Saturnalia predates christmas and was a time of huge celebration, and that was itself based on the pre-existing Yule celebrations.

The 25th fell in the midst of Saturnalia, a wild, merry Roman festival which had existed for ages and makes our modern Christmas sound like a visit to the dentist. Gambling was legal during the festival.

Government functions like the legal system were shut down, school was canceled, slaves could actually speak their minds, and there was a tremendous amount of gift-giving.
    http://www.byrneweb.com/ben/daily/christmas.html
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    http://www.lasttrumpetministries.org/tracts/tract3.html

I'll never look at holly and mistletoe berries in quite the same way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    http://www.lasttrumpetministries.org/tracts/tract3.html

I'll never look at holly and mistletoe berries in quite the same way
    Dont you think that that argument is biased?

A simple study of the tactics of the Romish Church reveals that in every case, the church absorbed the customs, traditions and general paganism of every tribe, culture and nation in their efforts to increase the number of people under their control.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus who?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by obsolete)
    Jesus who?
    From someone from Northern Ireland, your bound to know who Jesus is.

Don't deny it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JJay)
    Should we remove the Christian element from Christmas?

What do you think?
    i think that it should be removed as christmas is nothing but a marketing cheme anyway. Ho often do people mention Jesus when talking about christmas!! it's all about how many presents you can get. Apparently Jesus' birthday is in july or august anyway!!!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.