Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Literary Theory: A Very Short Introduction - Jonathan Culler

I've just read the first chapter and am horrifically confused. I'm going to need to read it again and make formal notes, the first time I've ever had to do so with a book.

I shall persist though!

ReputationRep:
    At the moment trying to get through the wonders of the "Cetology" chapter of Moby ****.

Also just bought Hemingway's For Whom The Bell Tolls, Chekhov's Ward Six and Other Stories, 1892-1895, and Bashao's The Narrow Road to the Deep North and Other Travel Sketches.

ReputationRep:
    The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov.
    I'm really enjoying it so far

ReputationRep:
    Summer Knight by Jim Butcher I decided that I couldn't be bothered to wait for the library to send it, so I bought it instead.

Worth. Every. Penny.

ReputationRep:
    In school studying Blake's Songs of Innocence and Experience, King Lear, Golding's Lord Of The Flies and Virgil's Aeneid, as well as a lot of Aristophanes, Plautus and Terence for my catastrophically badly chosen Class Civ coursework. Also rereading Ian McEwan's Atonement for sixth form book club.
    Outside of that, currently reading Remainder by Tom McCarthy, Dance, Dance, Dance by Haruki Murakami, Faust by Ivan Turgenev, Richard Yates' Collected Stories and Blood Of The Isles by Bryan Sykes.

ReputationRep:
    I'm reading various books by E.M Forster, writing my AH English dissertation on that. Also reading "What is History?" by E. H Carr, and "Governing America: The Politics of a Divided Society" by Robert Singh. :-)

ReputationRep:
    The Game - Neil Strauss.

ReputationRep:
    Death Masks by Jim Butcher Book 5!

ReputationRep:
    lisey's story by stephen king

ReputationRep:
    Blood Rites by Jim Butcher, book 6

Again, he just doesn't fail to entertain. Dresden Files, people. Read 'em :p:

ReputationRep:
    Just finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, Philip K. **** and Am Miseanaraidh, Ian Crichton Smith.

The first was a great read and il have to rewatch Blade Runner to compare now while the second was pretty underwhelming stuff from a writer who has always been excellent in my previous experience of him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roberto Tomato)
    The Game - Neil Strauss.
    Heh ive been meaning to check that out for a while now - supposed to be a good laugh/extremely interesting.

ReputationRep:
    The Blind watchmaker- Richard Dawkins

ReputationRep:
    I've run out of books to read :bawling: I think there's one more on the Dresden Files which I can find...

That's tomorrow's job :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    The Awakening, Kate Chopin and

Villette, by Charlotte Bronte

.........both just for fun

ReputationRep:
    The Historian, by Elizabeth Kostova. Quite an interesting read,

ReputationRep:
    The Golden Ratio- By Mario Livio

ReputationRep:
    Currently trying to carry on with Tad Williams' first book on Thorns and Memories and Sorrows - can't remember the exact title, to be honest.

I'm only reading it because I was told it gets better, and only until I find something more interesting... :p:

ReputationRep:
    ...Told by me, I think it was, amongst others :p: "The Dragonbone Chair" ring any bells?

I have just finished reading "Troubles" by J. G. Farrell
    and "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald
    and am now reading "Birdsong" by Sebastian Faulks
    and also "Regeneration" by Pat Barker

Yes, English Lit. - War Literature. tedious to put it lightly.

Also: "Science: A history (1543-2001)" by John Gribbin. First class book about the progression of science. Gives you a lot about the social situation at the time, and a really good idea of the time-scale involved (e.g. saying "100 years after the publication of.... after the birth of..." etc.)
    I highly recomend this book to anyone interested in science! Need a bit more than a faint interest, though, as it is quite heavy going. But well-written enough to be thoroughly enjoyable.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, that was it. I bought the new Artemis Fowl book today, so I'm reading that, instead. It starts off infinitely better than that Williams book :p:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 30, 2011
Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.