What book are you reading now? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Sagudelux
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
Anna Karenina - Great book so far, I'm only halfway through... But it is just one of those must read for me... Good thing I like it
Maniacal Mr. Monocle
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My problem is that I'm actually involved in so books at once that I can neither continue reading the ones I'm already on, nor start afresh with any of them, or start on any new ones, I'm too impatient. I'm like a sampler, one moment I get a taste for this, then the next minute I get a taste for that, and then I get another taste for something else, my God it's overwhelming! I mean I adore books, I want to gorge myself sick on books, but I just get the feeing that there's so much good stuff out there that I don't have the time to read any of it (not that I can read a book properly, anyway, but then you can't blame me for being ambitious, can you?) It’s all just become one big haze and I’ve managed to defocus my mind and loose track of myself in some kind of strange papery-void.

As an example of what I'm currently trying to get through, here's a mash of the books that are currently confusing me (including comics): The Prince; The Trial; Cassavetes on Cassavetes; The Collected Tales of Nikolai Gogol; Nausea; The Code of the Woosters; Ginger Geezer; Elia Kazan: A Life; The Glass Graduate; David Boring; The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen; Life, The Universe and Everything; The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner ....And I'm constantly tempted to read more! I may have to scratch out my eyeballs to stop myself going any further (or give myself a smack round the head with a hammer, that ought to do it!)
Andy Peters
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I know what you mean, i'm working my way through my unread book collection, 4 books at a time
Maniacal Mr. Monocle
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Not fun.
buhba
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
A book called 'Sparkles' by Louise Bagshawe... hey im only 15, not into all these great books full of knowledge and symbolism yet hehe!
xxx
the_alba
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Never too early to start! I had read the collected works of Proust by the time I was nine.

(yes, I'm joking)
naivesincerity
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hey Alba, have you read William Boyd?
Fletch
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Andy Peters)
I've still got to read Human Traces. So many books....so little time..
It is excellent.
Andy Peters
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think it's going to be my next one. Just need to get through the Glen Duncan book first.
tbm
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Just started reading "Shame" by Jasvinder Sanghera, is really really good. Cant put it down, nearly finished it

Its about her life and how her parents tried to force her into marrying someone, then they disowned her when she was a teenager, so its all about her life and struggle to look after herself, her sisters 'suicide' etc. Really recommend it. Thought it would be really religious but it isnt, and Im really enjoying it.
the_alba
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
naivesincerity - re Boyd, I've read Nat Tate, having as I do quite a love of the literary hoax. Would you recommend any others?
naivesincerity
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Alba- I havent read all of them, I've skim read some but to me def. the best is the one I'm reading now, 'Stars and Bars'. There's quite a lot in it, maybe a little too much, but it's got good characterisation and is VERY funny in places, and really well written too.
Hashshashin
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Rebecca - Daphne du Maurier
Epicurus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
^^ I have that on my bookshelf to read. looks good.
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Alice Hoffman - The Probable Future
and
Melvin Bragg - The Adventure of English
FadeToBlackout
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Umberto Eco- Foucault's Pendulum

I'm finding it really hard to get into which is annoying.
Epicurus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
One of my fav books is by Eco. The name of the rose is cool.
Luize
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
read the first 200 pages of hitchhikers guide in 2 hours on a train.
It's just too good. I know I'm going to read it too quickly
FadeToBlackout
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
There's no such thing as "too quickly" when reading Douglas Adams. Fact.
the_alba
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Except that you finish it too soon and feel bereft.

naivesincerity, I'll take your advice. Boyd has too long been a literary blindspot of mine.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have any savings?

Yes (175)
67.83%
No (83)
32.17%

Watched Threads