Turn on thread page Beta

What book are you reading now? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    difficult to say... for leisure im currently reading Oliver Twist, but for english lit revision i should keep re-reading High Windows, The Tempest, Spies and A Woman of No Importance.

ReputationRep:
    im reading the rise and fall of a yummy mummy- real chick lit lol. however, it provides a welcomebreak from the french and german novels i should be reading :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    For exams... Measure for Measure, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolfe, The Homecoming, and various other post-1945 plays...(Pinter, Albee, Mamet, Williams...etc)
    For leisure...I don't really have time at the moment! But my Summer reading list is getting longer and longer....any recommendations of books that I should add to that list?

ReputationRep:
    Quantitative Methods for Business and Management by Frank Dewhurst and many other text books.

Apart from that, I'm reading Prophets of the Hood by Prof. Perry. Great book for the HipHop fanatics. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    I've Just finished reading Zadie Smith- On Beauty.
    I've just started reading Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion.

ReputationRep:
    I just finished Vanity Fair, finally, hoorah. Then I watched the 2004 adaptation, to see if they made a hames of it, and they did: a complete hames. Worst adaptation ever. Everything about it was wrong, wrong, wrong.

Now I'm reading The Europeans by Henry James.

ReputationRep:
    Hey alba, did you get around to Stars and Bars?

ReputationRep:
    Eats, Shoots and Leaves! I plan to finish it by the end of today!

ReputationRep:
    finished the restaurant at the end of the universe.
    have started The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe.
    Will be starting the next in the Hitchhikers guide as well.

ReputationRep:
    Just finished "Absurdistan" by Gary Shteyngart.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    Tried to get into it a couple of weeks ago and couldnt really. Its clearly quite an accomplished work but i see nothing which makes it deserve its place in Time magazines list of the 100 greatest novels.
    Maybe that it's deeper and more complex in terms of symbolism than most 'literary' novels.

ReputationRep:
    40+ Horny Housewifes! It's very interesting.

ReputationRep:
    I'm reading Vanity Fair and a random book for French. After Vanity Fair I'm probably going to start Chekhov's The Story of a Nobody - has anybody read this? I've never read any Russian lit. before, don't know if this is a good one to start with!

ReputationRep:
    Started Northern Lights by Pullman yesterday. I'm half way through, I enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    Just finished A Painted House by John Grisham and am starting The King Of Torts by him now. I'm also reading The Naked Jape by Jimmy Carr and Lucy Greeves but its hard to read consistently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xx Rebecca xx)
    I'm reading Vanity Fair and a random book for French. After Vanity Fair I'm probably going to start Chekhov's The Story of a Nobody - has anybody read this? I've never read any Russian lit. before, don't know if this is a good one to start with!
    What do you think of Vanity Fair? I just finished it. If I were starting to delve into Russian literature I'd read Crime and Punishment first, but after Thackery you might want something a bit shorter! Chekov's always a good bet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    Hey alba, did you get around to Stars and Bars?
    It'll have to wait till the summer, I'm afraid. I have a pesky thesis to write now, and I'm also relapsing into reading Victorian novels, which I haven't done for a good few years. Thanks for the tip though

ReputationRep:
    After I finished The Pianist last week I've read 'The Innocent' by Harlen Coben (or something similar), 'PS I love you' by Celia Aherne and 'The Boy Next Door' by Emyln Someone and Josie Someone. Now I'm on Pride and Prejudice just cos I'm in need of something to read and haven't been to the library. Perhaps I'll try Vanity Fair next if we've got it.

ReputationRep:
    merde actually - its awesome nice easy read too :p:

ReputationRep:
    I am starting rereading my IB books for externals, and I am starting with Garcia Marquez, "Chronicles of death Foretold", at the same time I am reading Pasternak, Dr. Zhivago (sorry if I misspelled it, I am reading it in Russian so no idea how it is spelled in English)

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.