The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

This is a fantastic book. Some people seem to criticise it for such banal reasons as 'nothing much happens' and 'holden doesn't learn anything at the end of the book'. But this is to miss the point entirely. This is a book about the disillusionment of the teen generation in the post-war era. It is about struggling to find an identity when you are at the liminal stage that is your teens, not a child, but certainly not an adult.

This book is a meditation upon the virtues of childhood, and of adulthood, but the immense drawbacks that come with both. You lack knowledge and experience as a child, but you seem to lose idealism and innocence as an adult. This is about the struggle to reconcile the two stages. Holden is stuck between - he simultaneously holds up his little sister as a beacon of perfection, and talks of wanting to live on his own away from adults, and of wanting to be 'the catcher in the rye', and stop children from growing up, whilst simultaneously chatting up girls, almost hiring a hooker, and trying to convince everyone that he is in fact 'grown up and mature' - something he claims to despise.

This isn't a book about events, although the events of the book are certainly interesting; it is a book about a phase in one's life, about looking at adults through a child's eyes, and childhood with rose-tinted spectacles. It is a classic because one can entirely sympathise with Holden's sense of despair, whilst simultaneously recognising that he is desperately immature, somewhat hypocritcal, and leaving behind the childhood he wishes he could preserve.

The image of time is prevalent in the book - the stasis of the museum, the perfect memory of his brother Ally, and so forth - all are images that show Holden's longing for time to stand still in a world he feels is going too fast for him.

Altogether, this book is amazing. It captures the despair and confusion of adolescence in a clear, concise, entertaining and also depressing way. Anyone who isn't moved by the scene at the merry-go-round is dead inside. This is no Dan Brown book, so don't be expecting a lightning fast plot driven by events - this is a superbly crafted analysis of the teenager. Five stars.

You're perfectly right, and I understand why you like it.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with the book as such. The writing is very good - though not my cup of tea, really - and it is a cleber insight on adolescence. The absence of action didn't bother me - one of my favourite books is Flaubert's Madame Bpvary, and the whole book is about a woman having the most boring life ever.

But it didn't appeal to me at all. I didn't relate to Holden, and if I'd met him in real life, I would have hated him. I think that's because I've never felt like he does as a teenager.

It's just that there's such hype about this book, people kept telling me, come one, read it, you'll love it! I'd heard of it in the film The Good Girl, where Jake Gyllenhaal's character calls himself Holden because of this book (didn't think much of this film, though, but still, was intrigued by the reference). So maybe I was expected too much of this book, and I felt let down. Or maybe I'm just too old :p:

Bottom line is, it is a a well-written book, it is a good insight on adolescence... But not my cup of tea. And the oral style of the writing got a bit on my nerves eventually - I was like, if he uses another 'goddam' or another 'phony', I'll just throw the book away.
I'm reading Danny Wallace and the Centre of the Universe. It's one of those quickreads you can get from the library and I got it because I loved his Yes Man book so much.:biggrin:
I'm reading Decameron. Finally I got myself round to actually borrowing it from the library. We read a couple of the short stories at school, which originally got me interested in reading the book, and so far it's been good.
I never understood why anyone would like to interpret a book to such an extent, I mean reading is such a personal experience that that everyone basically takes something different out of it, I liked the Catcher in the Rye not because it 'is a meditation upon the virtues of childhood' but plainly because I thought Holden was a pretty cool guy. The brother-sister relationship was really sweet and Holden just made me laugh. Overinterpreting really kills a story.

I am reading Judge Savadge by Tim Parks by the way
Reply 2884
I'm currently reading Helen of Troy by Margaret George. It's pretty damn good if you ask me :smile:

Catcher in the Rye is on my 'to read' list though.
My literature teacher cannot stand Catcher.*

I'm reading "The American"-Henry James and still stuck on Slaughterhouse-Five.

* I made it to page 25. This was after having been spoiled by a literary criticism book.
still stuck on Slaughterhouse-Five.

Me too :wink:
Salem Falls by Jodi Piccoult, and Watermelon by Marian Keyes. I'm re-reading them though, cos whenever i get a new book i hurridly read it to find out what happens then i re-read them over and over finding new things lol. i'm so bizarre!
I've just begun Sir Gawain and the Green Knight and it is fascinating so far. I need a translation alongside the Old English (of course) but it is incredible that the language of both editions sounds beautiful. :smile:

I thoroughly recommend it for anyone who has enjoyed Chaucer and wants something a little different.
I'm reading

"Advanced Higher Chemistry by Learning and Teaching Scotland"

I've found it a trifle dull.
They usually say after the first 100 pages a book gets better but this one gets worse.
Nothing happens at all - there's no character development, no covert socio-political messages - not even a single sex scene.
I'm disappointed.
yah, but the use of degenerate electron orbitals as an allegory for repressed sexual identity really got me thinking and the further use of the Southern Gothic style in describing Hund's principle was utterly compelling
"The Maltese Falcon" by Dashiell Hammet.

I've heard a lot of good things about it, so thought I'd give it a go!
The Magic Toyshop by Angela Carter. its amazing. its critical without being pretentious, honest without being blunt, and romantic without being soppy. Angela Carter is an amazing author, a very worthy and virtuous read! most beautiful book ive read since A Town Like Alice
nialldali
... repressed sexual identity ...

Which edition are you reading? lawl.
On the road by Jack Kerouac. Only 20 pages in but i reckon i'll love it.
The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka
The Scapegoat by Daphne du Maurier. Love it!!
at the moment i'm juggling between neil gaiman's fragile things and the science of discworld 3 but i've just been given peter hoeg's miss smilla's feeling for snow but i want to know if it's any good?
Reply 2898
The family way - Tony parsons
Reply 2899
I'm slowly getting through Ovid's Metamorphosis, which is a brilliant work but more than little repetitive after a while. Still, I've promised myself to finish it and I'm nearly there and feel a lot better for it! It's an invaluable source of background knowledge for so many other books.
I'm also reading Persuasian by Jane Austen and just finished Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and Toni Morrison's Beloved (amazing book).

Latest

Trending

Trending