Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the negative rep as yes you did not abide by my signature, whoever you were

ReputationRep:
    I am going to barge into the Marquez-love-fest and also say that 100 Years of Solitude is one of the best books I have ever read.

ReputationRep:
    Harry Potter and the Philosoper's Stone

Trying to read them all before the new one comes out just so I can refresh my mind.

Don't think I'm going to get through them all though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lou_)
    Harry Potter and the Philosoper's Stone

Trying to read them all before the new one comes out just so I can refresh my mind.

Don't think I'm going to get through them all though!
    I'm doing the same, but since I've read them all about five times (though for the first four that was years ago) I've now bought the audio books read by Stephen Fry and am going to listen to them all before the last book comes out. This at least means I can hopefully get some revision done too whilst I immerse myself in Hogwartsness...fun times. :p:

100 Years of Solitude is just incredible, and yes, you're right ~Lc~, it's mostly re-readable because what makes a book so in my opinion is detail, multiple layers or complexity..and 100 Years of Solitude definitely has that. There's just so much to take in that re-reading would be a pleasure. Once I've finished the numerous other books I'm reading at the moment..:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Revision notes........................... .........................:hmpf:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wildebeest)
    I've just begun Sir Gawain and the Green Knight and it is fascinating so far. I need a translation alongside the Old English (of course) but it is incredible that the language of both editions sounds beautiful.

I thoroughly recommend it for anyone who has enjoyed Chaucer and wants something a little different.
    And do try Seamus Heaney's translation of Beowulf.

I've just started Graham Greene's The Third Man and Fallen Idol.

ReputationRep:
    'Regeneration' by Pat Barker. So far it's very good.

ReputationRep:
    The Picture of Dorian Gray, and probably Crime and Punishment after that

ReputationRep:
    The shield of Thunder.book 2 in a 3 book saga about Troy, like the Illiad but more detailed, very interesting. David Gemmell

Why we dropped the Bomb: Gar apporowitz: A factual book about the political machinations that lead to Hiroshima, a real eye opener and the fact that it's written by an American history professor makes it more credible, because it's on a revisionist slant.

Both fascinating and enjoyable to read in their own way.

ReputationRep:
    Any read The God Delusion? I wanted to read it when it first came out, but I waited for the paperbook

Good call on re-reading the Harry Potters, I can't wait for July... because I'm cool like that.

ReputationRep:
    The Man In The High Castle by Philip K **** at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison

and

Crime and Punishment by Fydor Dostoskevskji (I can't spell it )

ReputationRep:
    I'm reading an edition of the Paston letters at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Any read The God Delusion? I wanted to read it when it first came out, but I waited for the paperbook

Yes. I was really disapointed - was expecting something to totally change my views but instead it just made me want to keep my fait. Basically it's just all the atheist views you've heard of loads of times, or things you've thought of or queried before, but written in a fancy way that sums it all up and tires to make it sound clever and original.

ReputationRep:
    ^ I'm really enjoying the writing style; humorous yet eloquent and succinct - although I agree it doesn't have much I haven't heard before.

ReputationRep:
    For the Pratchett fans above - TPs new book will be out in October at which time "Wintersmith" - the latest Tiffany Aitching (and the Nac Mac Feegles) adventure - should go paperback. Am I reading faster or is the old dear slowing down?

ReputationRep:
    Just finished Catch-22 (WOW, what a book), and now don't know what to read next...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Classic, Theodore.)
    I'm reading

"Advanced Higher Chemistry by Learning and Teaching Scotland"

I've found it a trifle dull.
    They usually say after the first 100 pages a book gets better but this one gets worse.
    Nothing happens at all - there's no character development, no covert socio-political messages - not even a single sex scene.
    I'm disappointed.
    God, this is a tough wee bugger to get through.

ReputationRep:
    as I finished uni for the year today I can finish the hitchhikers triology (currently in the middle of book 4)
    and finish re reading all the harry potter books in time for July...have to pace myself a bit...don't want to be waiting for a month before the next one!

and then I can get back to studying and reading books about gender identity, community and gaming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katrin_tara)
    ^ I'm really enjoying the writing style; humorous yet eloquent and succinct - although I agree it doesn't have much I haven't heard before.
    I love Dawkin's style - he really puts his arguments accross so well, and can be so cutting towards his oppenents, and yet remain seemingly rational and reasonable. A brilliant man, no doubt.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.