The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2980
Although Raskolnikov in Crime and Punishment ends up being moved but at the same time unmoved by the horror of his crime, he comes to terms with his actions. And that's one of the great moments in the book, when we realise that he has done the crime and received the punishment, but there are in his mind some people who deserved it and ultimately despite his reservations he justifies it. Very unusual: the morality is there, but not the moral judgement in his eyes. A great book that really analyses murder without the trite judgement we come to expect for it, that eventually a man will acknowledge his wrong doing but not that it was wrong.
I started reading Captain Corelli's Mandolin today. Not sure I'll finish it though...

Anyone read it? Is it worth it?
Reply 2982
I'm reading The Little Friend by Donna Tartt. It's pretty good but doesn't match up to The Secret History so far, but then that would be near impossible for me.

And I have to say I'm with Hashshashin about the 'boring aftermath' :wink: I absolutely adore that book.
Reply 2983
Danielle89
I started reading Captain Corelli's Mandolin today. Not sure I'll finish it though...

Anyone read it? Is it worth it?

Yes it is. It makes an interesting comparison with "Birdsong" mentioned above.

I'm just ploughing through the Lemony Snicket books atm to see what the hype is about. Nice sardonic style but getting a bit samey by book five.
I'm reading This Book Will Save Your Life by AM Homes. It's in Richard and Judy's bookclub, which is a bit shamefull, haha. I just wanted a decent page turner, as a break from the heavy stuff I've been reading for uni. Anyway, I like it so far, it has this really refreshing style and interesting characters.
After that I'm reading The Bell Jar, I did Birthday Letters in class,which I liked, so this really appeals to me.
Reply 2985
Impossible princess
I'm reading This Book Will Save Your Life by AM Homes. It's in Richard and Judy's bookclub, which is a bit shamefull, haha. I just wanted a decent page turner, as a break from the heavy stuff I've been reading for uni. Anyway, I like it so far, it has this really refreshing style and interesting characters.

I've got that, but it's not been read yet. It's next after the book I'm currently reading, which is John Lydon's autobiography, Rotten, which I'm hoping shall be interesting.
Birdsong, Sebastian Faulks because of the English war paper next week, it's so good!!
Read evrything I got,,, Reading "Artemis Fowl" now (my friends) , and I am surprized , I though it will be something about a gd boy that catches criminals ..etc...
Reply 2988
Reading George Eliot's Middlemarch. Loving it, but bloody anxieties over revision appear to be temporarily preventing my enjoyment of it.
Howard
Anna Karenina by Tolstoy. Bloody good it is too.

Possibly the most BRILLIANT novel ever; Tolstoy is a genius!

I am reading Russell's "Unpopular essays"...:rolleyes: :cool:
I'm reading Death Note. Amazing manga/anime/live-action film.

the manga is the best though.
His Dark Materials, for the third time . . .

I can't be bothered to be intellectual these days.
Reply 2992
Soul Mountain by Gao Xingjian
littlej
Soul Mountain by Gao Xingjian

I liked that one, found his almost fractured style very evocotive, but it's the only Nobel winning book I've read.

ATM I've reading Neil Gaiman's Fragile Things (and a book on Krav Maga)
the bell jar by sylvia plath
I've got that, but it's not been read yet.

Just finished that today, I really enjoyed it, I miss reading it now! Hope you like it too.
the bell jar by sylvia plath

Started reading that today :biggrin:
Reply 2996
I've reading all the Harry Potter books in reverse order in preparation for the seventh book and it's a nice, light read in between revision.
Tall, dark and dead - Tate Hallaway

It is a very weird book, infact incredibly weird but i am actually really enjoying it.
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
so amazing! it is so good, i was crying on the bus into work today...rather emberassing!
Reply 2999
KingoftheNazgul
Possibly the most BRILLIANT novel ever; Tolstoy is a genius!

Agreed. :smile:
I'm reading War of the Worlds at the moment, which I must admit I'm not really enjoying that much. No depth of character - in fact, little or no characterisation at all in my opinion. I just don't frankly care if they all get killed by martians!
Also reading The Little Prince - one of my favourite childhood books. But I'm reading it in French this time. It's sooo beautiful. Absolutely magical. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending