The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Moving onto Harry Potter now.

Although I am beginning to think that His Dark Materials is actually better.

Has anyone here read The Lovely Bones? What did you think?

Really good. Rather sad though, eh? I hear they are making a movie of it, but that could just be a rumor.
A film, you say? Might have to Google that one.

I love that book =) perfectly surreal.
Natcarr88
Just about to finish reading The Graft by Martina Cole. Have read lots of her books, but getting pretty bored of her now, lol. Anyone have any authors to recommend?

Natalie

If u like martina cole you'll love nora roberts
http://www.noraroberts.com
Schmokie Dragon
A film, you say? Might have to Google that one.

I love that book =) perfectly surreal.

yeah it looks like Peter Jackson is making it as well. hmmm perhaps there will be a hobbit involved as well!
Reply 3005
nikkyleigh
the bell jar by sylvia plath

Reccomended by my girlfriend, she really liked it.
'The Spell' by Alan Hollinghurst. My first dip into the filthy world of Mr. Hollinghurst. Quite delightful.
Schmokie Dragon
Moving onto Harry Potter now.

Although I am beginning to think that His Dark Materials is actually better.

:eek:

Blasphemy on Harry!! :p:

I've got the Lovely Bones. I like it, its very sad, but very well written. I think she is a good writer, although it is a bit odd. I just like it :p:
just finishing laberinth by kate moss.

amazing :biggrin:
^^I read that a while ago, though to be honest I wasn't sure on it...It took me a while to get into, plus my parents had hyped it up a lot, so I think I was a bit disappointed. She is a very talented writer to be fair.
nikkyleigh
the bell jar by sylvia plath

Read that, and made a play based on it for Drama A2. Depressing play, brilliant book!

Yes, i thought it was good...weird, but good.

Also reading The Little Prince - one of my favourite childhood books. But I'm reading it in French this time. It's sooo beautiful. Absolutely magical.

I read that in French (for school) and LOVED it! It's so sweet. I didn't like the English version as much...

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
so amazing! it is so good, i was crying on the bus into work today...rather emberassing!

That made me cry too, and i don't usually cry at books.

Now I'm re-reading All Quiet on the Western Front - an English translation of a German book about WW1 and a young soldier at the front. It's really good if you're interested in books about the world wars...and is written from a German perspective, so is different from most of the stuff you find in England. :biggrin:
Don't Tell Mummy by Toni Maguire

So sad. The only book I've properly cried at.
Magickal_Faerie
:eek:

Blasphemy on Harry!! :p:

I've got the Lovely Bones. I like it, its very sad, but very well written. I think she is a good writer, although it is a bit odd. I just like it :p:

If you liked that, you might also like The God of Small Things. There is a link to an article about it under 'Literature' in my profile. Absolutely amazing, possibly one of my very favourite books.

Yes, Harry is most amazing. It just doesn't have the philosophy and fundamental physics in it that HDM has. Although it does have far simpler plots, so doesn't get caught up in continuity issues :p: I'm sure when I re-read my Harry collection, I shall be reminded about how spectacular it is. I just want a daemon, is all.
Reading The Historian by Elisabeth Kostova, had it ages and only just decided to read it... I always do that!
Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk. So far it's a bit weird but I'm enjoying it anyway
I'm just starting The Catycher in the Rye, I've been meaning to read it for ages.
Just finished The Handmaid's Tale (Margaret Atwood) and halfway through My Sister's Keeper (Jodi Picoult). Even though the former was recommended by my English teacher I'm so far preferring Picoult's novel, such an emotional topic.
symphonic
Just finished The Handmaid's Tale (Margaret Atwood) and halfway through My Sister's Keeper (Jodi Picoult). Even though the former was recommended by my English teacher I'm so far preferring Picoult's novel, such an emotional topic.

I actually cried in My Sister's Keeper- have you read any others by Jodi Picoult? The Pact is very good if you haven't read that yet
I've had a weep or two reading it as well. I can't figure out how I feel about Sara yet, she seems really hard to sympathise with. I haven't read any others but I'll definitely check out The Pact. I think she has a new one out about a massacre as well - 'Nineteen Minutes'? I want to get that when it's out in paperback.
Can some one here please recommend me a novel to read, just a story i could read to improve my vocabulary, just any intresting/fun read....

Latest

Trending

Trending