Report 11 years ago
Renegade's Magic!
ZanyZanny
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by xx Rebecca xx)
Ooh what's it like? Have you read 'The Other Boleyn Girl'? If not, I recommend it - it's fantastic! Really gripping.
Yeah i have read it, this one is the follow on from it kind of about his next wives. It's exactly the same stuff really good read so far.
brimstone
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Just started Oryx & Crake by Margaret Atwood - really enjoying it so far!
brimstone
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oh, I should add that I've just finished Brick Lane.
datr
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by blondevalkyrie)
That book is amazing! I'm reading Mother Tongue- Bill Bryson, and have just started The God Delusion- Richard Dawkins
I'm just starting Mother Tongue now after finishing History A Very Short Introduction by John. H Arnold. I didn't enjoy it to be honest, I've only studied History upto GCSE but most of what he said was still ridiculously self evident and I thought he overly simplified the theories on how History can be understood.

I actually saw Dawkins on monday as well at manchester grammar school (he was giving a public lecture there), I got him to sign my copy of the God Delusion and The Selfish Gene. I'm hoping to get through The Extended Phenotype during the holidays also.
Phillip
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by datr)
I actually saw Dawkins on monday as well at manchester grammar school (he was giving a public lecture there), I got him to sign my copy of the God Delusion and The Selfish Gene. I'm hoping to get through The Extended Phenotype during the holidays also.
Was he good?
campbell87
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Just started The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum
datr
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Everyone else I was with said he was really good but having already read his book I found it quite boring. His lecture was basically a condensed version of the book with certain section repeated verbatim. He got a bit annoyed when someone stood up and left half way though, he drew attention to them and told anyone else who wanted to leave to do so now. He did a short Q&A afterwards as well and while he answered the questions very well I thought they could have been approached in better ways and got the feeling the answers he gave were rehearsed general ones (but I imagine that's because he gets asked the same questions a lot, the audience was even preempted at the beginning of the lecture that militant atheism wasn't the same as fundamentalism and was more akin to passion).

As for when I met him he didn't say much but I didn't really have anything to discuss with him. I agree with a lot of his work and where I found his books lacking I was able to fill in the blanks for myself. So I just offered the standard, rather feeble, "I really enjoyed your books".
blondevalkyrie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
[QUOTE=datr] History A Very Short Introduction by John. H Arnold. I didn't enjoy it to be honest, I've only studied History upto GCSE but most of what he said was still ridiculously self evident and I thought he overly simplified the theories on how History can be understood.

Hmmmm I was going to get that History book out from the library to read, as it thought it would help with my course, perhaps I'll give it a miss though, as you don't sound like you'd recommened it.
kitty_koo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Hashshashin
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog!)
- Jerome K Jerome
À la folie, pas du tout
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Perfect Match - Jodi Picoult.
datr
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've just finished Flatland A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin A. Abott and was pleasantly surprised. It was much better than what I expected from a 'maths book in the form of a story'. It conveyed the ideas very well and the story wasn't the simple disguise I was expecting. I'm looking forward to reading the sequel Flatterland by Ian Stewart but I'm finding it hard to find a place that sells it.

I'm going to start Of Mice and Men now as it seems I'm the only person who hasn't read it. :p:
À la folie, pas du tout
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by datr)
I've just finished Flatland A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin A. Abott and was pleasantly surprised. It was much better than what I expected from a 'maths book in the form of a story'. It conveyed the ideas very well and the story wasn't the simple disguise I was expecting. I'm looking forward to reading the sequel Flatterland by Ian Stewart but I'm finding it hard to find a place that sells it.

I'm going to start Of Mice and Men now as it seems I'm the only person who hasn't read it. :p:
Nope, you're not! :p: It is on my list though, but I thought I was the only one around that hadn't!
-G-a-v-
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Just started The Music of the Primes - Marcus du Sautoy

Oh, and the latest Harry Potter book so I can remember what happened before the last one comes out soon :p:
frogout
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Just finished kokoro by Natsume Soseki, which is great, and After a Quake by Haruki Murakami, which is very cryptic.. I'll definately have to read it again to try and figure it out!
Magickal_Faerie
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Just finished Mia's World, by Mia Dolan.

Halfway through Spirit Messenger by Gordon Smith.

Both very different although based on the same topic,
datr
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by xx Rebecca xx)
Nope, you're not! :p: It is on my list though, but I thought I was the only one around that hadn't!
Glad to know I wasn't alone. I finished it last night but I'll spoiler my thoughts on it so as not to reveal anything.

Spoiler:
Show
What a ****ing depressing book! I'm glad we didn't read it in school now, I was really upset by the end it. A friend had warned me before starting that the plot devices were transparent, so it was kinda obvious what was going to happen. None the less it was still very sad and is a brilliant little book.

I managed to finish Half Blood Prince this morning as well, which I was rereading in preparation for the fourth coming Deathly Hallows. I still think it's the most boring of the series.

I'm planning on reading 1984 now, another which I think I'm in the minority of not having read it.
À la folie, pas du tout
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by datr)
Glad to know I wasn't alone. I finished it last night but I'll spoiler my thoughts on it so as not to reveal anything.

Spoiler:
Show
What a ****ing depressing book! I'm glad we didn't read it in school now, I was really upset by the end it. A friend had warned me before starting that the plot devices were transparent, so it was kinda obvious what was going to happen. None the less it was still very sad and is a brilliant little book.

I managed to finish Half Blood Prince this morning as well, which I was rereading in preparation for the fourth coming Deathly Hallows. I still think it's the most boring of the series.

I'm planning on reading 1984 now, another which I think I'm in the minority of not having read it.
Thanks for putting in the spoiler
I don't know if you're in the minority or not, but 1984 is fantastic - enjoy it.
_:_Emo_Cheerleader_:_
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
How To Walk In High Heels by Camilla Norton - Oddly enough, not chick lit!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (137)
18.51%
No (449)
60.68%
Not really bothered about them (154)
20.81%

Watched Threads