Literary Theory and Criticisms
    British Gothic Tales

All for my courses at uni.

ReputationRep:
    Anna Karenina - i feel so intellectual reading Tolstoy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lily_of_the_valley)
    Anna Karenina - i feel so intellectual reading Tolstoy
    i felt really intellectual as well when i read war and peace. and then i got to his 'philosphical' parts and they went right over my head lol!

ReputationRep:
    Souvenir by Therese Fowler

Only about a third of the way through but I'm enjoying it

ReputationRep:
    Heh not really fiction, but I'm reading it!

Discover Your Psychic Powers by Tara Ward.

Its really interesting!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Magickal_Faerie)
    Heh not really fiction, but I'm reading it!

Discover Your Psychic Powers by Tara Ward.

Its really interesting!
    I knew you were going to say that!:p:

ReputationRep:
    The Great Gatsby - Fitzgerald, a classic to counteract the shamefully trashy books I've been reading lately...

ReputationRep:
    I've moved onto something called the Seeing Stone (I'm going through all the books I've been give over the years but never got round to reading :p:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vector)
    I've moved onto something called the Seeing Stone (I'm going through all the books I've been give over the years but never got round to reading :p:)
    That book (and its sequels) are excellent. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm about halfway through and it's really good

ReputationRep:
    I'm about to start London Fields by Martin Amis. Hope it's good, not read any of his stuff before.

ReputationRep:
    I've finished The Collector by John Fowles which was (on the whole!) fantastic, I'd recommend it. Has anyone else read it, or anything else by him? Now I've just started My Sisiter's Keeper, another by Jodi Picoult, and also Un Sac de Billes by Joseph Joffo.

ReputationRep:
    'Tis By Frank McCourt (the sequel to Angela's Ashes)
    Imperium By Robert Harris.
    Soooooo good!

ReputationRep:
    Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott and Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    'Love in the Time of Cholera' by Gabriel García Márquez - it's fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    "Fingersmith" by Sarah Waters

Before that, Harry Poter 7.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently reading Measure for Measure and Lolita. I've only just started Lolita, but wow. The first chapter is so fantastic!

ReputationRep:
    I just finished reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and I really did love it. I want to see the film now and read more Hunter S. Thompson articles and books. I love the writing style, essentially a first-person account of a journalist assignment the protagonist is sent to cover in Las Vegas. The books so simply written and yet the subject matter and some of the bizarre events that occur leave the audience wondering what is really happening and what is simply a manifestation of the protagonists drug-fuelled trip (excuse the pun). Its a brilliant juxtaposition between a book that is so accessible because of the unconvoluted, journalistic writing style and the surreal non-sensical plot (which spirals out of control with very few consequences) which can make it, at times, difficult to comprehend.

ReputationRep:
    Northern Lights - Phillip Pullman
    Have been looking at this book for years and thinking it's a pretty cover and I should read it. Now I've finally got around to it and it's very hard to put down. I want a daemon!

ReputationRep:
    Survivor in Death - J.D Robb
    ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!
    I love this series of books :-)

Poll
Do you have a role model?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.