Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chriztina27)
    The Bell Jar- Sylvia Plath (really enjoying)
    What an amazing book

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Great book. I read it a while ago and don't remember much of it - except that I thought it was brilliant stuff.
    Yeah, I am really enjoying it (only about 40 pages in though). I'm always suspicious of a narrator that says 'If you will' a lot, I think he is tricking me.

ReputationRep:
    The Language Instinct - Steven Pinker.

Am doing linguistics at university so am attempting to read up on the subject.

ReputationRep:
    The Caucasian Chalk Circle - Bertolt Brecht

I like his stuff. Its good, even though Im not doing anything related to it any more

Its good to keep up on reading plays

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magickal_Faerie)
    The Caucasian Chalk Circle - Bertolt Brecht

I like his stuff. Its good, even though Im not doing anything related to it any more

Its good to keep up on reading plays
    I have 'The Good Person of Szechwan' to read next - have you read that? Any good?

ReputationRep:
    I'm on Flatterland again. Excellent read.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by steerpike)
    I have 'The Good Person of Szechwan' to read next - have you read that? Any good?
    It's pretty good. A bit depressing but good.

ReputationRep:
    Work: 'Aesthetic Theory' by Theodor Adorno
    'Dissemination' by Jacques Derrida
    Pleasure: The Mabinogion

ReputationRep:
    The Fiftieth Gate by Mark Raphael Baker.

It's part of an english module & shoudl've been read months ago...but i finished it today!

ReputationRep:
    I am reading Jane Eyre, as I love Charlotte Bronte's style of writing.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steerpike)
    I thought it was the good woman of szechwan? but i did that for a level, yeah its good. if you like his stuff, which i do :p: isnt there one about the a water seller or something? is it the water seller of kabul? i cant remember, but i know i did my own take on it for some formative assignment.

ReputationRep:
    There's the 'Bookseller of Kabul' by somebody completely different...not really familiar with his work so am not too sure -glad you liked it Yeah, my translation calls it 'Person'.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Magickal_Faerie)
    I thought it was the good woman of szechwan?
    Well, that translation's a bit of a plot spoiler, actually. The German title is "Der gute Mensch von Sezuan", so 'person' is probably a more accurate translation...

ReputationRep:
    Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

ReputationRep:
    Soul of the Fire - Terry Goodkind

ReputationRep:
    Pocahontas by David Garnett. My boyfriend got it for my birthday, it was printed in 1933. I love old books!;heart;

ReputationRep:
    Making Money - Terry Pratchett...gotta make my last few days of work less boring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oziris)
    Making Money - Terry Pratchett...gotta make my last few days of work less boring.
    Sacred Hunger by Barry Unsworth. It's for my Lit class this year. I'm not sure I'd have picked it up otherwise, but it's very good so far and I actually look forward to writing my coursework on it!

ReputationRep:
    Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - One of the best and funniest books ive ever read. To think ive had this book for 5 years and have only just picked it up to read.

ReputationRep:
    I've just started reading The Master and Margarita by Bulgakov. It's weird - there's some bits I enjoy reading and other bits I can't understand why they're there at all. Maybe it'll all make sense in the end? :confused:

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.