Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just finished reading The Handmaid's Tale last night. I really liked it.

But what to read next? Where Are The Snows? (Maggie Gee) or Vernon God Little?

ReputationRep:
    Just finished Frankenstein.
    About to start on 'Fellow-Townsmen'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Symph)
    I was supposed to be reading The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood for prospective coursework usage but I just don't like it! Am I missing something? I prefer Oryx and Crake.
    I had a similar experience: I detested The Handmaid's Tale despite having enjoyed Oryx and Crake.

ReputationRep:
    I have at last given up on Villette (Charlotte Bronte)... after 2 months of getting nowhere, i have decided to stop reading and i've taken up Northanger Abbey, by Jane Austen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladydeborah)
    I have at last given up on Villette (Charlotte Bronte)... after 2 months of getting nowhere, i have decided to stop reading and i've taken up Northanger Abbey, by Jane Austen.
    I'm not surprised If I take too long reading a book I just never get into it! Good luck with Northanger Abbey

ReputationRep:
    The Custom of the Country by Edith Wharton.

ReputationRep:
    Just finished Angels and Demons by Dan Brown.

ReputationRep:
    A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian by Marina Lewycka.

Quite witty so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladydeborah)
    I'm reading that at the moment, although it seems to be taking me forever to read it, even though I'm really enjoying it. Strange.

What do you think of it so far?

ReputationRep:
    Critical thinking for students as prep for the TSA. Load of rubbish IMO

ReputationRep:
    Ruby by Virginia Andrews. Yet another tale of secrets and incest. :p: I was in Borders bookshop yesterday and I was like a kid in a sweet shop before realising that I can't afford novels. Hmph. Soooo many I wanted to buy!

ReputationRep:
    I've a nasty habit of taking pictures of books in the shop on my phone then buying them online

ReputationRep:
    'Red Carpets and other Banana Skins' by Rupert Everett.

A very interesting read!! Anyone else read this?

ReputationRep:
    Jane Eyre. Enjoying it much more this time than the first time round. Really liking it actually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspect)
    'Red Carpets and other Banana Skins' by Rupert Everett.

A very interesting read!! Anyone else read this?
    I've bought it but not got round to reading it yet - I love Rupert! Glad to hear it's an interesting read!

ReputationRep:
    Into the Wild, OK but a bit tedious in places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agrippina)
    I've bought it but not got round to reading it yet - I love Rupert! Glad to hear it's an interesting read!
    Love Rupert too, although I should warn you, so far, there arn't as many juicy details as I was hoping for

Saying that, he hasn't had his big break yet so hopefully lots of interesting bits coming up

ReputationRep:
    Brave New World
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

Soon to re-read On the Road again.

Then I have Lolita to re-read, then One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

ReputationRep:
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.

I've heard a lot of negative reviews about it, but really enjoying it so far. Pretty creepy :afraid:.

I've just finished reading 'And when did you last see your father', Stephen Fry's autobiography, 'Moab is my washpot' and 'Animal Farm' (Orwell). Someone suggested I read 'To kill a mocking bird' - has anyone read this? What did you make of it? Laus .

Poll
Do you have any savings?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.