Well you might enjoy it
Sandhu
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Matthew2007)
Well you might enjoy it
I'm going to assume your not trying to imply I'm 'repetitive and predictable' :p:

And heh, lets hope so. I haven't started it yet, but I'm moving off Philosophy books for a bit, its a nice change.
UPsilamba
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by S a n d h u)
I'm going to assume your not trying to imply I'm 'repetitive and predictable' :p:

And heh, lets hope so. I haven't started it yet, but I'm moving off Philosophy books for a bit, its a nice change.
Oh no, it's the book I thought was repetitive and predictable:p: It was a shame because it had been really bigged up to me prior to reading it.
hockeyfreak1192
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Weejimmie)
An interesting comparison with Orientalism- and much more readable- is The Lords of Human Kind by V. G. Kiernan.

Reading Milosz's ABC- a sort of memoirs- in alphabetical order rather than chronological by the Polish poet.
Collected poems of Stefan Themerson- another Pole- who was a very wise and tolerant philosopher too.
After London by Richard Jeffreys- Victorian SF where Jeffreys- who was dying of TBand hated London imagined nature coming back to destroyit.
hi, i have to do an oral presentation on milosz's poems, i have to talk about a specific topic found in his poems. any ideas
.*browneyedbella
Report 11 years ago
I'm reading quite a few books for uni right now (I'm doing English), but one I am enjoying right now is The God of Small Things. It's really good! Lots of post-colonial elements in there.

When I'm taking a break from reading books for school, I've been re-reading The Amber Spyglass. Loove the His Dark Materials series.

Three books I plan on reading over the hols are The History Boys (I've seen the title around here, is it any good?), The Kite Runner (heard this was an amazing book) and Atonement (saw the trailer & it interested me, I've read it's a bit longwinded though??)
.*browneyedbella
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Catsmeat)
I've finished His Dark Materials.

Bugger, I need a new book...

Albert Camus is looking at me from across the room, and I don't know if I'm in the antimood for it.
Did you enjoy His Dark Materials?

I absolutely loved it! Read them a while back in middle school and I'm re-reading the series right now, it really is fantastic. I just hope the movie is good...
Catsmeat
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by .*browneyedbella)
Did you enjoy His Dark Materials?

I absolutely loved it! Read them a while back in middle school and I'm re-reading the series right now, it really is fantastic. I just hope the movie is good...
I did enjoy the series; they showed a lucid, adaptive, and serious mind tackling ome humongous issues. For some it would have been dangerous working in the shadow of Milton and Blake, yet Pullman still allows his own voice to lead.

The film, of which I have seen the 'film guide', looks to be quite 'fantastic', though the budget must have been relatively low as the special-effects seemed to be quite, unusually, poor (especially as believeable graphical effects are almost a given of modern cinema).
ukebert
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Catsmeat)
I did enjoy the series; they showed a lucid, adaptive, and serious mind tackling ome humongous issues. For some it would have been dangerous working in the shadow of Milton and Blake, yet Pullman still allows his own voice to lead.

The film, of which I have seen the 'film guide', looks to be quite 'fantastic', though the budget must have been relatively low as the special-effects seemed to be quite, unusually, poor (especially as believeable graphical effects are almost a given of modern cinema).
I need to reread them. I loved Northern Lights, but I think read Amber Spyglass a little too soon. It'd be interesting to reread them.

I won't watch the film, I'm boycotting such things.
UPsilamba
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by .*browneyedbella)
I'm reading quite a few books for uni right now (I'm doing English), but one I am enjoying right now is The God of Small Things. It's really good! Lots of post-colonial elements in there.

When I'm taking a break from reading books for school, I've been re-reading The Amber Spyglass. Loove the His Dark Materials series.

Three books I plan on reading over the hols are The History Boys (I've seen the title around here, is it any good?), The Kite Runner (heard this was an amazing book) and Atonement (saw the trailer & it interested me, I've read it's a bit longwinded though??)
Loved The God of Small Things Though so sad
The Kite Runner is really good too, though I personally found parts of the second half quite unrealistic.
Atonement, I didn't find too longwinded, it's divided into three parts anyway. It had its positives and negatives. I did enjoy it overall though.
h82think
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No time to read books, far too busy reading TSR
Catsmeat
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ukebert)
I need to reread them. I loved Northern Lights, but I think read Amber Spyglass a little too soon. It'd be interesting to reread them.

I won't watch the film, I'm boycotting such things.
The boycotting may be a safe bet, especially considering how they've manipulated the material to such an extreme. Bah.
UPsilamba
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I boycotted Harry Potter.... but had to see one of them when babysitting a 5-year-old this summer
pinkpenguin
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Currently rereading for the 5 millionth time The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy Trilogy in Five Parts.

World just aint the same without Douglas Adams
ukebert
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You got that right.
Zebrastripes
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Pride and Prejudice - even though i've watched the movie and BBC versions many times, i thought i should probably read it too, discover all the missed out bits.
Kittennffc
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The Memory Keeper's Daughter - Kim Edwards

Amazing book, really sad yet you want to read more. Only about a third of the way in so far but absolutely brilliant book.
*pitseleh*
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The Republic - Plato.

Well, I'm re-reading it, really, as I mentioned it on my Personal Statement for UCAS. Can't wait until I can stop re-reading books and start reading new ones again!
rottcodd
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Rosamond Lehamnn - The Weather in the Streets

...and my God do I hate Rollo Spencer...
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1628)
78.91%
Leave (435)
21.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed