The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Finished Atonement by Ian McEwan. I thought it was OK and can see why there's so much hype about it, but it personally wasn't to my taste. Whatever, maybe I just don't understand high literature :p:
High Literature? :p:

I have loads of stuff to read but none that I really want to :frown:

I'll probably read a pratchett again.
Wife in the Fast Lane - Karen Quinn.
ukebert
High Literature? :p:

I have loads of stuff to read but none that I really want to :frown:

I'll probably read a pratchett again.

Haha, well, all the reviews rave about its imagery/writing style whatever, but I just don't really get it. Good thing I dropped English Lit at the first opportunity then :wink:

I think I'll read A Thousand Splendid Turns next - I read The Kite Runner yonks ago but I remember enjoying it.
Reply 3924
Just finished 'Innocent Traitor' - really good! Nearly cried reading the last page. Such a sad tale...argh I hate Mary I! Very well-written, and really interesting to see history laid out in novel form.
Reply 3925
Just started 'Amazing Grace' by Danielle Steel. Hope it's worth the buy. :smile:
Reply 3926
Now reading Martina Cole - The Ladykiller. Is quite a graphic novel actually, and judging by the first 100 pages, might be quite hard to read, but we shall see :smile:
Reply 3927
A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khalid Hosseini.

Great book, cultural and different not to say the least it was saddening too.
Last night I finished;

Umberto Eco - the Name of the Rose

And started;

Frank Herbert - Dune Messiah
Vol.II.i of Walter Benjamin's Selected Writings

Against the Day - Thomas Pynchon

The Informer - Liam O'Flaherty (much over-looked Irish writer (1896 - 1984); the opening page is one of the most gripping and tension-building I've read).
I just finished 'The Lovely Bones' by Alice Sebold for the third time. I keep finding new things in it!
A Factory Of Cunning by Philippa Stockley =D
On the Genealogy of Morals, by Nietzsche.
Ghostwritten & Black Swan Green- David Mitchell

so far I've read 6 books this week. i love break! :smile:
Thomas the Tank Engine :redface:

Hey, I'm ill :p:
'Ludmilla's Broken English' -- 'tis by D.B.C. Pierre, the guy who wrote Vernon God Little (which is why I'm reading it, I suppose). It's alright, not as good as VGL.

Last few weeks: I read The Old Man and the Sea -- Hemmingway, oh god, I love Hemmingway. And, er, before that it may have been Fahrenheit 451 --Ray Bradbury -- which was okay-ish, but a bit dissapointing when it came down to it. I thought it was gonna blow me away like Orwell, but naaaaaaah. Still good, though.

Oh, and I'm theoretically reading Emma for school, but it's s-s-s-**** and dull and wordy as hell and yawn-inducing and-! shut up!
Read "Night Watch" last night, finishing it at 02:30 :redface:

I still think it's one of his best.
The Street Lawyer by John Grisham.
A Short History of Nearly Everything

Bill Bryson

It's great!
Still on Boys From The Mersey by Nicky Allt and Tales From The Travelling Kop. Will be starting on Kevin Sampson's Awaydays and the highly-acclaimed Here We Go Gathering Cups In May

Latest

Trending

Trending