The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Just about finished "Atlantis" not bad at all. A couple of technical and historical parts that need to be read twice just to make sure I understood them correctly. Very good read. 4/5 star rating I think.
Reply 4141
The Common Pursuit - F.R. Leavis {so help me god}
Culture & Society - R.Williams.
Wangers
I'm about to start (at last) Crime and Punishment.

I stayed up all night to read that, I'll be interested in what you make of it...

In other news, I've finished Anna Karenina and have noew moved onto The Brothers Karamazov.

I would have easily stayed awake, yet I had lectures this morning...

The Brother's Karamazov is amazingly powerful.
Lean Mean Thirteen - Janet Evanovich.
Reply 4144
Fen
Ah, i'm so glad when I like a book that I'm skeptical about(many people told me they dislike it). The Dreamers(Or Holy Innocents) is great:smile:.

Anyone read Mercier&Camier by Beckett? how is it?

Well, it was awesome. How it is was...disturbing.

Currently on AtelierKult, a collection of short SF Romanian stories.
Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha by Roddy Doyle. [AS English Lang/Lit, I actually really like it though.]
The Nun's Priest's Prologue & Tale by Chaucer. [English again, not so much reading as wanting to rip into tiny little shreds...]
Queen Camilla by Sue Townsend. [Sequel to The Queen & I, quite amusing. :laugh:]
My Booky Wook by Russell Brand. [Not amazing literature, granted, but I love the man!]
come on in! by charles bukowski and skinny bitch
i've read skinny bitch a few times, i like it and it only takes me a few nights to get through.
come on in is the last to read of the books i got given for valentine's and it's excellent. a boy in my chem class was flicking through it and opened it up on the smuttiest poem in the book, now half my class think i'm a total sex pest.
Reply 4147
Finnished Atonement. Now onto The Sword of Shannara (Terry Brooks). Also Journey's End (R.C Sheriff) Then mabye The Book Theif
Reply 4148
osteec
Finnished Atonement. Now onto The Sword of Shannara (Terry Brooks). Also Journey's End (R.C Sheriff) Then mabye The Book Theif

Sword of Shannara, Elfstones and Wishsong are very good, but surprised you're reading them now, very old fantasy. Few recs for good fantasy, The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, and David Gemmell. Enjoy.

Thomas Covenant is very deep, Gemmell is classic but very believable fantasy. IMO the best writer of the late 20th century, and Stephen Donaldson close behind.
Reply 4149
just finished this book i found on a plane called 'the book thief'

it was quite gripping, kept me entertained on the flight back from new zealand at any rate.

now im reading zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance and the trial by kafka.
Reply 4150
franpgb
Just finished reading "A Wizard of Earthsea" and was disappointed. Didn't like it at all :frown: Maybe I'll re-read it again sometime but doubt it.

Oo I don't know which one to read now! I can think of 9 I want to read..and I'm indecisive. This'll be easy..

I see the first book was made into a two part series it was on E4 or something like that. I watched it it was actually not bad. I liked Wizard of Earthsea, but I can see how it might not be everyones cup of tea. Try reading the Gormenghast trilogy, now that's just plain weird, especially Titus Alone, good though.
I liked the Wizard of Earthsea and the Tombs of ATuan, but I wasn't so keen on the others in the series.
I'm nearly at the end of The Secret History by Donna Tartt....it's so good.
Reply 4153
franpgb
Well I normally don't mind a bit of fantasy, and I'd heard so much great stuff about it so I went out and bought all 4 books compressed in 1 (like £10 or so)..Shame. I did try and like it!

I have George R R Martin's book to read now, "A Game of Thrones". Apparently that's a well-liked book!

Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series is truly phenomenal, hope you enjoy them.

Anyway, I've just gone out and bought Dracula, Wuthering Heights, Anna Karenina, Gulliver's Travels and Crime and Punishment. I currently have a reading list of Lolita, Waiting for Godot, The Amber Spyglass, The Cherry Orchard, Othello and The Illiad, amongst other novels, plays and poetry collections I have stacked on my shelves. It is ridiculous..
Noughts and Crosses - Malorie Blackman
Factual - People of the Book by Zachary Karabell. It's basically identifying the coexistance of Muslims, Jews and Christians early on, and trying to downplay the image of Islam in particular as a Jihadi, violent religion.

For pleasure - Winter in Madrid. Haven't started it yet, but I really need to start reading more fiction!
Reply 4156
I just finished my previous book and have now begun to read "The Naming of Eliza Quinn" by Carol Birch
Reply 4157
Keston Sutherland, 'Hot White Andy', Chicago Review, Spring 2007.
The Ghost Orchid - Carol Goodman.
Reply 4159
Finally read The Tunnel(Ernesto Sabato), currently on Sputnik my love(Murakami)

Latest

Trending

Trending