Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Disgrace - JM Coetzee
NexusDominus
Report 10 years ago
children of men...really really good book...its about humanity and how they became infertile(no more babies)
NexusDominus
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by NS)
Yeah, but mine's about how Russell dealt with drink, drugs and sex addiction...
wait.. is it the same author..cant be bothered to go upstairs and check.
Cooro
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
*ahem* Children of Men was written by crime author P.D.James.
AnastasiaJ
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Robob)
Surely he'd just run away.
Touche
Drummer23
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by KwungSun)
That's a terrible book and you should be ashamed of yourself.
What's wrong with it, eh?

I rather like it.

Valid arguaments and a good writing style with the occasional brit-wit.

lovely.
redux345
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i'm about to start 'along came a spider' by James Patterson. I dont know if i'll like it as i've read nothing by him but i shall give it a go.
KwungSun
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Drummer23)
What's wrong with it, eh?

I rather like it.

Valid arguaments and a good writing style with the occasional brit-wit.

lovely.
Valid arguments? where? He spends half the book arguing convincingly against faith and religion but then turns around to say, "but actually, not believing in God doesn't feel quite right, so I think I'll stay agnostic". He offers no evidence for agnosticism other than his gut instinct.
Dill
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Thoughtless)
ooh yeah that was a good book - my mum made me read it lol

I'm reading Honour Among Thieves - Jeffrey Archer at the moment and im loving it
I just finished it, it was sad!
DenkMit
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by redux345)
i'm about to start 'along came a spider' by James Patterson. I dont know if i'll like it as i've read nothing by him but i shall give it a go.
I'm a big fan, they're very well written.
Mittalmar
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood - excellent! Also Harry Potter and die Kammer des Schreckens - which is quite challenging for me.
JayneDoe
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've just read 'White Teeth' by Zadie Smith and started on 'On Beauty' but its not as good..Might leave it awhile and start again.. About to start 'Perfume - The Story of a murderer' by Patrick Suskind - glad I havent seem the film first.. Also got 'Filth Business' by Robertson Davies out of library not sure if its my thing, but will give it ago.
CareBear
Report 10 years ago
you can't beat an Agatha Christie mystery...

she is a legend
Cooro
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not long to go until I've finished Across the Nightingale Floor. I tried to get the next one but the library didn't have it, so I got The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness which I'll read instead.
ixivxivi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Been on holiday for the last 2 weeks and so started reading properly again:

Love etc. - Julian Barnes Fell for Barnsey with Flaubert's Parrot. The rest I've read by him hasn't been so good, but this is pretty funny. 3 different people narrating their views. Bit depressing as it ends - one ends up rich but alone (and a pretty dire person to boot), the other witty but hopeless-ish at every day life and the woman they've both married at some point not exactly happy either.
Talking it over - Julian Barnes Over-use (well, it is deliberate) of the word "crepuscular". And "****-pit". It's the book Love etc. is the sequel to and is more innocent, more hopeful with less of a 'you can be good, but your life will eventually show itself to be pointless, going nowhere' vibe. Think I prefer the pessismism of the sequel.
Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov (my my, seems something of a tsr trend for this. Have the forums covertly been promoting our paedophilic tendancies?) Hmm, I don't know. I haven't got to the end because I had it on loan from my college's library and am now home. I was interested to realise that I'd been happily bumbling along to Humbert's point of view that Lolita was being selfish and deliberately hurtful towards him, before it occured to me that y'know, she is being permanently sexually abused (I think after the initial keeness, she is being abused, mentally as well as physically). Does anyone else think that her school's extremely wierd, calling in a "parent" because they think a pupil isn't fixated enough on sex? And Dating, Debutants and Dicks or whatever their three D's are...
Arthur and George - Julian Barnes Sly biography of Arthur Conan Doyle and of George Edalji, the vicar's son, a solicitor, accused (pretty damn unlikely, aka falsely and racially motivated) of slitting horses' bellies.
King Lear - Shakespeare I think I've fallen in love with the Fool.
Llama_Farmer
Report 10 years ago
The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters by D.W Dahlquist, its pretty long but I got into it straight away and I'm now hooked!
brimstone
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just finished The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood. It was a lovely book, very moving in parts and very detailed - I found myself lost in both worlds the book portrays.

Now moving on to The Passion by Jeanette Winterson. Got a copy signed by her
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (169)
18.61%
No (553)
60.9%
Not really bothered about them (186)
20.48%

Watched Threads