Turn on thread page Beta

What book are you reading now? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh. I'm nearing the end, unfourtunately; I've thoroughly enjoyed it so far.

ReputationRep:
    In Sickness and In Power : Illness in heads of government during the last one hundred years by David Owen. Gonna be good stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hashshashin)
    Let me know what you think. I read it a week or two ago and really enjoyed it.
    Ah ok. Will post when i finish .

Page 80 of Austen's Persuasion.
    It is turning out to be her dullest book. I hope another 80 pages will prove me wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by - skyhigh -)
    Page 80 of Austen's Persuasion.
    It is turning out to be her dullest book. I hope another 80 pages will prove me wrong.
    I found that as well, and actually gave up... Definitely not her best.

ReputationRep:
    Currently reading The Adventures of Tom Sawyer - Mark Twain

ReputationRep:
    After being sidetracked by Stardust, I am back to working my way through Tommy, by Richard Holmes.

ReputationRep:
    Reading Vampirates: Demons of the Ocean (the first one) by Justin Somper. Truly excellent series :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Dracula (Bram Stoker), Mao - The Unknown Story (Jung Chang and Jon Halliday) and Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell (Susannah Clarke).

ReputationRep:
    pulo coehlo-the witch of portobello

ReputationRep:
    Just finished (literally, about an hour ago) A Room with a View by E.M Forster. Loved it!

I've started reading 2 other books:

Empire of the Sun - JG Ballard
    A History of Britain 3000BC-AD1603 - Simon Schama

ReputationRep:
    Had a holiday abit ago and got through another few:
    Much Ado About Nothing (read lying in a field yesterday)
    King Lear (I was surprised how different this was to Much Ado - the language is so much less complex in that)
    Something to Declare - Julian Barnes. A collection of Barnes essays on frenchy things. Reminds me that I need to read more Flaubert (only read Bovary, and Barnes has an obsession on him, and I have an interest in Barnes, so it all comes around...)
    Possesion - A.S.Byatt - reread. Still don't understand how people are generally more acquainted with this than the Powerhouse/Frederica Potter series.
    Jerusulem the Golden - Margaret Drabble. Not quite as bad as the other Drabble novel I've read. Again, read this one mainly because for a long time she was Byatt's more succesful half-sister, and I have been unable to really see her appeal. What really gets me is the fact she insists on telling us how very, very clever her protagonist is, and then proceeds to present all her thicko actions and thoughts to us, effectively completely contradicting her point. Could learn a little from the saying "Show, don't tell"...
    Daniel Deronda - George Eliot. Really liked it (I actually like some of the characters in this [unlike in Middlemarch] - go Gwendolen!) at first, but lost interest when it started to be mainly Dan waxing lyrical about the perfect, irritating religious girl and Mordecai. I realise the book's supposed to be making a point about Judaism, but, as an atheist, I only have a certain capacity before lengthy prose on religion gets boring. As result am still 2/3 through.
    Ulysses - James Joyce. Treating it abit like looking out of the window on a car journey - I find it very pleasant to put through my eyes and mind, but I have no pressing meaning for doing so.

ReputationRep:
    Just about to start 'Die Verwandlung'...

ReputationRep:
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

ReputationRep:
    Vampirates: Tide of Terror

(Original post by Agrippina)
    I found that as well, and actually gave up... Definitely not her best.
    I have read a few more chapters of the book. I am quite proud of myself

It gets better once you skip a few of the earlier chapters :o:

ReputationRep:
    Attila - William Napier

ReputationRep:
    I'm reading Are you Dave gorman??

Which is a nice change to the usual crime/thrillers I read

The Flight Of The Falcon - Daphne Du Maurier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo-less)
    The Flight Of The Falcon - Daphne Du Maurier.
    I love Daphne De Maurier, and have been trying to get hold of this book for yonks, but my stupid library doesn't have it! :mad:

Let me know how you find it and i might see if i'll buy it.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.