Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    They're more fun, and more elegant. Then again, I'd be happy with either of them :coma:
    Yeah, skysailing sounds like fun :^_^: I'm halfway through The Last of the Sky Pirates now.

(Original post by AnonyMatt)
    You read the first two and moved onto a different series?! :eek:

I... I don't understand... *headache* :woo:
    Well, I read the first two, went on holiday and sort of...forgot to take the third one with me :o: I will read it though!

ReputationRep:
    The Consolations of Philosophy by Alain de Botton.

ReputationRep:
    Currently reading Ian Fleming - Moonraker. It's beautifully written and the plot seems good so far, but just seems different to the 007 motion picture.

ReputationRep:
    City of Secrets by Mary Hoffman

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yas8)
    City of Secrets by Mary Hoffman
    :woo: My favourite series of books.

ReputationRep:
    Bliss by Peter Carey. It's really surreal, I kind of like and dislike it simultaneously!

ReputationRep:
    Three Men In A Boat by of course Jerome K Jerome. I can't believe its taken me this long to actually go out and buy it but its just brilliant, dare I say it, its possible the best book I've ever read, and I've read a lot of books! Certainly in terms of pure enjoyment and number of laughs its at least joint first! I can't praise it enough, and to think it was written in 1889 is just crazy, the jokes are as funny and relevant today, and the style is wonderful.
    The only criticism I would give is the one thats quite often given about this book, the fact that it mixes the comedy with serious and rather poetic descriptions (as it orginally was intended to be a serious travel guide but he ended up filling it with comedy instead!), but he does the comedy so well that these bits, although beautifully written and wonderfully emotive, they just don't flow with the rest of the book and actually leave you with a bit of an anti-climax after the laugh out loud passges that precede these more serious passages.

However, I would absolutely, 100% recommend it, I can see myself just reading it again and again! So annoyed I didn't get off my arse and read it earlier!

ReputationRep:
    Im reading 'Cell' by Stephen King at the moment, it's a really good pageturner, shame its not really scary. Definately worth a read, though.

ReputationRep:
    Middlemarch by George Eliot. Want to finish it in the next 2 weeks so I don't have to take it home with my, its pretty heavy and ryanair won't let me take much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cooro)
    Well, I read the first two, went on holiday and sort of...forgot to take the third one with me :o: I will read it though!
    Oh you'd better.
    I've been reading Northern Lights all day (as opposed to playing Resident Evil 4) and I'm just going past where Lyra is spending her first night in The Station. Tony and his fish make me so sad!

If I were you, I'd read the first two again, or you won't have the same effect I did.

Shame on you if I finish the third book (again) before you! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    At the moment I'm reading two books, Great Expectations- Charles Dickens (part of my reading list for uni) and Losing Gemma- Katy Gardner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonyMatt)
    Oh you'd better.
    I've been reading Northern Lights all day (as opposed to playing Resident Evil 4) and I'm just going past where Lyra is spending her first night in The Station. Tony and his fish make me so sad!

If I were you, I'd read the first two again, or you won't have the same effect I did.

Shame on you if I finish the third book (again) before you! :mad:
    I'll start it tonight, I can read more than one book at a time

ReputationRep:
    Twilight- 10/10 so far

ReputationRep:
    About to start Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier. I have seen the film and enjoyed it, but from what I've heard, the book is much better.

I've got a massive pile of books I want to read before I start my AS-Levels In September, however, its starting to look very unlikely that I'll finish thema all .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrGonzo)
    About to start Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier. I have seen the film and enjoyed it, but from what I've heard, the book is much better.

I've got a massive pile of books I want to read before I start my AS-Levels In September, however, its starting to look very unlikely that I'll finish thema all .
    I love your username! I'm reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and loving it, and had to comment on your name. Hello, Dr Gonzo.

And just to put in my two-pence-worth - Cold Mountain (the book) is FAR better than the film, if you like very descriptive books. If not, you might lose patience, but either way, it's definitely worth the read.

ReputationRep:
    Tuesdays with Morrie - Mitch Albom

ReputationRep:
    Nearly finished Vox, chronologically the 8th in the Edge chronicles series. I'm also about five chapters into The Amber Spyglass (started it while waiting for my mother at the hairdressers. Didn't even notice when I was spoken to, I was so engrossed :o:)

ReputationRep:
    I want my next Alex Cross book

ReputationRep:
    last book I've read: Under Enemy Colors by S. Thomas Russell.

book i'm reading now: Traders, Guns and Money by Satyajit Das.

Next book that i'll be reading: Dawn of Empire by Sam Barone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by franpgb)
    Just finished that about a week ago. Makes you feel bloody invincible after and like you can do good for the rest of your life - unless you're extremely cynical. It is an uplifting book.
    Yeah, it's really good. I'm about 3/4 of the way through.
    I know, it makes you feel all spiritual and like "Don't worry, be happy now!"

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.