Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein.

I'm about 150 pages in and already think it's an incredible book in every respect; engaging issues, fantastically written and very well researched and structured.

ReputationRep:
    David Tennant: A Life in Time and Space, I forget the author.

It's alright, not gripping stuff so far, kind of feel like I'm wading through it rather than enjoying it.

Also re-reading Labyrinth by Kate Mosse. It's brilliant

ReputationRep:
    I'm reading The Bell Jar, Sylvia Plath.
    Its quite good. Surprisingly easy to read, unlike her poetry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    I'm reading The Bell Jar, Sylvia Plath.
    Its quite good. Surprisingly easy to read, unlike her poetry.
    I'm doing this for my A2 English Lit coursework. It's brilliant! I go a bit queasy at her descriptions towards the end though... :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by huladancingmunchkin)
    I'm doing this for my A2 English Lit coursework. It's brilliant! I go a bit queasy at her descriptions towards the end though... :eek:
    Just finished it. I thought it got a bit disjointed and I found it kinda unbelievable.. Don't wanna say too much in case others wanna read it. I like her imagery but I didn't feel I got to know Esther really

Anywho, think I might read memoirs of a geisha next, I have a feeling it's gonna take much longer to read.

ReputationRep:
    Mathematics: A Very Short Introduction - Timothy Gowers.

ReputationRep:
    Look who it is! My Story by Alan Carr.

Really fits in with the rest of the books on here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    Just finished it. I thought it got a bit disjointed and I found it kinda unbelievable.. Don't wanna say too much in case others wanna read it. I like her imagery but I didn't feel I got to know Esther really

Anywho, think I might read memoirs of a geisha next, I have a feeling it's gonna take much longer to read.
    I guess the idea is that with it being disjointed we learn more about how disjointed Esther's thoughts are. & Esther doesn't know who Esther is, so neither do we!

ReputationRep:
    Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf

ReputationRep:
    I am currently re-reading Breaking Dawn, by Stephenie Meyer

ReputationRep:
    Antic Hay and Brave New World Revisited, both by Aldous Huxley, and both for my painful English Lit A2 coursework.

ReputationRep:
    Down Under by Bill Bryson and The Bell by Iris Murdoch (this one's for English Lit.).

ReputationRep:
    'The Last Temptation' - Val McDermid.

ReputationRep:
    I'm reading Doctor Who: The Writer's Tale by Russell T Davies and Benjamin which is a heavy hardback detailing emails sent back and forth between Davies and Cook during the writing of the last series of Doctor Who. So really it's an autobiography in some ways, but an unconventional one written in a series of emails over a year about Davies' ideas for doctor who and what making the show entails. It also has pieces on his general writing for shows other than Doctor Who, his future after Doctor Who and one or two other popular culture stuff that he gets distracted with. I haven't finished it yet, but so far I'm really enjoying it.

I'm also reading Shakespeare by Bill Bryson for my travelling book. It's okay, but most of it entails stuff I already knew.

ReputationRep:
    Stardust by Neil Gaiman.

Is this the book the film's based on? I've not seen it, but I suppose I can expect a certain type of story if the filmmakers want to get their hands on it.. =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by libertin)
    I'm reading Doctor Who: The Writer's Tale by Russell T Davies and Benjamin which is a heavy hardback detailing emails sent back and forth between Davies and Cook during the writing of the last series of Doctor Who. So really it's an autobiography in some ways, but an unconventional one written in a series of emails over a year about Davies' ideas for doctor who and what making the show entails. It also has pieces on his general writing for shows other than Doctor Who, his future after Doctor Who and one or two other popular culture stuff that he gets distracted with. I haven't finished it yet, but so far I'm really enjoying it.

I'm also reading Shakespeare by Bill Bryson for my travelling book. It's okay, but most of it entails stuff I already knew.
    Ooh I got 'Doctor Who: The Writer's Tale' for Christmas! Only read up to about Chp 3 so far, but love it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by huladancingmunchkin)
    Ooh I got 'Doctor Who: The Writer's Tale' for Christmas! Only read up to about Chp 3 so far, but love it!
    Yeah it's really good. You can tell that a lot of love went into putting this book together. My only complaint that it's so heavy which can make it uncomfortable reading in bed!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Pop Babylon by Imogen edwards-jones :o:

ReputationRep:
    Just picked up The Great Gatsby again after giving up over the summer and I've nearly finished it. I'm enjoying it so much more this time, I can't understand why I didn't like it during the summer.

ReputationRep:
    Catcher in the Rye.

Cliched, I know, but I swear the last 5 or 6 books I've read have all had a critic's quote on the front saying 'A modern day Catcher in the Rye', or 'A Catcher in the Rye for our time', and I want to see what the hell they're on about.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.