The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I am currently reading my sister books .. :frown:
"In Search of the Castaways" Or "The Children of Captain Grant"
Belinda Jones - Out of the Blue. Felt a need for a good chicklit.
Reply 5602
Oliver Twist- Charles Dickens
Sophie Kinsella- Rember me?
I shouldn't be because I have exams but am so goiing to fail anyway, so what they hey!
'Regeneration' - Pat Barker
Reply 5605
The Worst Journey in the Workd - Apsley Cherry-Garrard.
About Scotts doomed Antartic expedition
OhNO!
Mathematics: A Very Short Introduction - Timothy Gowers.

Just out of curiosity, as (I presume) someone whose academic interests are more focused towards the arts, how have you found it as a general introduction to mathematics?
preistess of the white, ive only just started it im not sure if its good or not yet
amani-puresapphire
preistess of the white, ive only just started it im not sure if its good or not yet

It is :biggrin: The whole series is good :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
I've started reading the Twilight books.
Also reading The Gift by Cecelia Ahern, and some books for school.
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings - Maya Angelou
MeepMeep09
It is :biggrin: The whole series is good :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Reply 5612
Hashshashin
Just out of curiosity, as (I presume) someone whose academic interests are more focused towards the arts, how have you found it as a general introduction to mathematics?

good. it's a lot more philosophical than technical, so more about explaining concepts and ideas than trying to teach you how to do anything mathematical. which is good because I've never really been very good at maths or science, but I've always been interested by it. It also allows it to be relatively simple, and jargon-free, without being patronizing.

there are bits which have lost me, it's been written for people with a GCSE-level understanding of maths and there are certain chapters, like one about computer models which I can vaguely remember learning about during GCSE Physics, but not well enough to understand what he's trying explain. but, that's my problem and not the book's.

at the moment I'm reading about numbers and abstraction :yep:
Reply 5613
Just started reading "The Thomas H. Cook Omnibus", 30 pages into "Red Leaves" and I am already hooked!
the prophet =]]
"Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell"

I started it on the plane yesterday, and so far it is well good. :smile:
Reply 5616
Just finished 'The Bell Jar'

now reading 'L'etranger'
Reply 5617
i've just started reading Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer after watching the film a couple of weeks ago. Its pretty amazing!
Saffie

Anywho, think I might read memoirs of a geisha next, I have a feeling it's gonna take much longer to read.

Memoirs of a geisha is brilliant!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: i actually found it pretty easy to read through and i really enjoyed it, hope you do to :smile:
The Reader - Bernard Schlink

Latest

Trending

Trending