The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Natasha's Dance by Orlando Figes, on the 'cultural hisory of Russia'. It is illuminating! I didn't realise the significance of the city in 'Crime and Punishment' before - as this dandy, admiring his reflection in the Neva river, the clash of cultures there over seemingly false appearances. And then seeing how those compare with the baseness of some of the people in the novel, and the interaction between them..it's really fascinating.

A thumbs up then.
one flew over the cuckoo's nest

the marilyn manson biography and 100 stokes of the brush before bed

so quite a mix
i am reading 2, captain corelli's mandolin and the davinci code... haven't got far in either of them yet, as i haven't had the time i would have like to read them... oh and if anyone reads this do you know what the other book is that goes with the davinci code because supposedly you are supposed to read the other one first... if you know could you send me a private message, it wold be much appreciated and you will recieve rep!
Reply 583
100 stokes of the brush before bed

I quite enjoyed that, I thought it was interesting but also of course simple and easy to read.
Reply 584
Black Sunday - Thomas Harris
I've just finished Franz Kafka's "Die Verwandlung" (yes, in German :biggrin: for uni) about this guy who wakes up one morning and notices he's turned into a bug...
Reply 586
btw,i finsihed grim tuesday yersterday and it was great:cool:
Emma-Jane Austen
Chris Ryan - The Increment
Carl Von Clausewitz - On War
Fermats Last Theorum - Simon singh.
north and south - for english

still reading octobers cosmo, and this weeks heat too!
Reply 591
haruki murakami - hardboiled wonderland and the end of the world
graham greene - our man in havana
salman rushdie - satanic verses

murakami is wonderful, almost sensuous, I love it.
graham greene is hard to get to grips with and rushdie is incredibly weird and hard to understand worse than joyce (ulysses)...
Reply 592
The Torture Garden - Octave Mirbeau

evil, evil, evil book.
Reply 593
Wide Sargasso Sea - Jean Rhys - it's on my uni book list
I've started The Big Bad Wolf by James Patterson but only read about a page a day:eek:
steerpike
The Torture Garden - Octave Mirbeau

evil, evil, evil book.

Le Journal d'un Femme de Chambre is harsh as well- in fact Mirbeau was a tough egg. Georges Darien has a similar outook.
marmalade
one flew over the cuckoo's nest

the marilyn manson biography and 100 stokes of the brush before bed

so quite a mix

The marilyn manson bio is excellent if rather sickening in parts.
Reply 597
Im currently reading a book called "talking with seriel killers" by Christopher Berry-Dee.
Is that weird?!

But its bloody good though, i love this kinda stuff. Much prefer true life books than fiction cos theres enough real crazy stories in the world without having to read made up fantasy ones!
Mariel Of Redwall by Brian Jacques
Its pretty good ya know.
Reply 599
Tom Stoppard's "Coast of Utopia". Pretty good, but I prefer his earlier work.

Latest

Trending

Trending