Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Started 'The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath' this morning.

ReputationRep:
    Just finished The Watchmen. Going to start reading Six Easy Pieces by Richard Feynman tomorrow...I have a lot of free time at work .

ReputationRep:
    The Music of Chance - Paul Auster

ReputationRep:
    Katie Fforde- Wedding Season

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScallyintheAlley)
    Started 'The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath' this morning.
    Love it

ReputationRep:
    Re-reading Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit for coursework; I hated it the first time round, but I think it's pretty good now. It hasn't affected me in any way, but it's one of those novels I can enjoy and greatly admire in a detached sort of way. maybe if I was brought up religiously and had homosexual tendencies.

anyway, I'm about to finish it, after which will be The Secret Agent by Conrad. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta:
    the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap,
    at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta.

ReputationRep:
    Just finished The Piano Shop on the Left Bank by T. E Carhart. Twas very interesting, I learned a lot about pianos!

About to start On the Road by Jack Kerouac, for uni.

ReputationRep:
    Haroun and the Sea of Stories- Salman Rushdie

ReputationRep:
    The notebook

ReputationRep:
    Nick and Norahs Infinite Playlist, will probs finish it now

ReputationRep:
    Engleby - Sebastian Faulks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanyore)
    anyway, I'm about to finish it, after which will be The Secret Agent by Conrad. :ninja:
    Poor you.

I bought four books today (!), and I've stormed through Lady Chatterley's Lover tonight. Started reading at lunch time and I've nearly finished it. I've been meaning to read it for years, and it's more incredible than I thought!

ReputationRep:
    Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. Just passed halfway, good book, abit slow in the middle maybe, but well written.

Also reading The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by Alan Moore. Just finished the second comic of 12, so haven't read much. Good so far, very different from the film, which I expected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    Poor you.

I bought four books today (!), and I've stormed through Lady Chatterley's Lover tonight. Started reading at lunch time and I've nearly finished it. I've been meaning to read it for years, and it's more incredible than I thought!
    Someone who dislikes Conrad! We were discussing this in the English applicants thread. I haven't read any Conrad, but it seemed like he was well-loved. what didn't you like about it?

ReputationRep:
    Someone who dislikes Conrad! We were discussing this in the English applicants thread. I haven't read any Conrad, but it seemed like he was well-loved. what didn't you like about it?
    oh, I don't hate conrad, I love him lots and lots. which is why it makes me so sad that he felt the need to write the secret agent, and spoil his otherwise unblemished record of goodness.

it's a silly book, read heart of darkness instead.

ReputationRep:
    The Broken Bridge - Phillip Pullman
    I'm pretty sure it's for people much younger than me, but it's been sitting on my bookcase for years. It's about time I read it.

ReputationRep:
    Hangover Square by Patrick Hamilton.

ReputationRep:
    Hangover Square by Patrick Hamilton.
    I hope you like it! If I had my way I would force everyone to read everything Hamilton's ever written (except for the last book in the Gorse Trilogy, perhaps) because he's just that good.

I'm reading Titus Alone by Mervyn Peake, which I'm enjoying more than I thought I would. I tried to read it a couple of years ago, after I'd finished reading the first two books in the Gormenghast trilogy for the first time, and couldn't cope with the fact that it wasn't set in Gormenghast.

ReputationRep:
    Finished Lady Chatt, probably the best book I had ever did read. Cracking on with Mrs Dalloway, in an attempt to avoid my essay doom. So far it's alright.

Poll
Do you have any savings?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.