Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie

Down and Out in Paris and London.
    History of the Western Intellectual Tradition.
    Eccentric Travelers.

ReputationRep:
    After River by Donna Milner and L'Alchimiste by Paulo Coelho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mia:x)
    Animal Farm and War&Peace xx
    Why would you read both books simultaneously? And do you reckon you will do PPE at oxford yeah?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris#1)
    Yep, I'm about halfway through and really enjoying it. Any other Forster books you could recommend?
    Definitely read his collection of short stories - they're great without exception.
    If you haven't read 'Howard's End', do: it's also very good.
    My favourite of his books is 'Maurice', which is a beautiful story beautifully written. Might be best to start with it actually.
    I suppose leading on from 'A Room With A View' is 'Where Angels Fear to Tread' - I found them quite similar, though WAFTT was really not as enjoyable as ARWAV.

If you're into lit. theory 'Aspects of the Novel' is a very good read.

I haven't finished 'The Longest Journey' yet, but it's excellent so far...

ReputationRep:
    i'm reading Howards End for my A2 this year.

ReputationRep:
    how to harpoon a **** for dummies

ReputationRep:
    Brideshead Revisited

ReputationRep:
    Suite Francaise- I think I have a new favourite book.

ReputationRep:
    John Keats, a complete collection.
    Jane Eyre is one of my favourite novels

ReputationRep:
    Just finished The Bell Jar, and now onto Little Women.

ReputationRep:
    the boy in the striped pajamas

ReputationRep:
    Finished the Aeneid.... I just wanted to shout at Aeneas to kill Turnus and be done with it towards the end!

Now reading Caesar by Adrian Goldsworthy.

Also reading bits and bobs of Auschwitz, the Nazis, and the Final Solution by Laurence Rees. Really moving and informative without being too dogmatic.

(Original post by Chris#1)
    Kennedy's Latin Primer, with De Bello Gallico on the side...plus a dash of Ovid's Metamorphoses.

When I get a break from these I read Amo, Amas, Amat and All That: How to become a Latin Lover.

When I get a break from that, I read A Room With a View by E.M. Forster.
    By the way, how useful is Amo, Amas, Amat and All That? I meant to buy it the other day but persuaded myself I wanted Juvenal's Satires more lol!

ReputationRep:
    Edward VI: The Lost King of England by Chris Skidmore.

Random, I know. Especially since I'm going to study Pharmacy at university and I didn't really enjoy my History lessons. But it's fantastically good and my brother knows the author.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bnm)
    ah i started it but lost the book !! hows it
    its very good, i recommend finishing it
    theres a film as well with morgan freeman as alex

(Original post by Malsi101)
    I started Catch-22 today

is it any good?
    I started it yesterday; the humour is slick and it's already imposed some messages on me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hibz123)
    :excited: I finished that today:woo:
    Ending was a bit disappointing though. Still an amazing saga
    It could have been alot better, stephenie meyer isnt the worlds best writer, shame though the concept/plot and charcters were good, awfull exicution.
    currently reading catcher in the rye.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scotland26)
    its very good, i recommend finishing it
    theres a film as well with morgan freeman as alex
    yea i know it's him on my book cover,
    cheers anyway

ReputationRep:
    The Ruins

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt1991)
    Finished the Aeneid.... I just wanted to shout at Aeneas to kill Turnus and be done with it towards the end!

By the way, how useful is Amo, Amas, Amat and All That? I meant to buy it the other day but persuaded myself I wanted Juvenal's Satires more lol!
    Me too, although the vengeance was slightly less sweet by virtue of Turnus becoming a bit pitiable in the end. A fitting conclusion though!

'Amo, Amas...' is all right. I'm halfway through, and so am reserving full judgement until I actually finish it. So far, I would say that it's a useful tool for expanding general knowledge of the period, because Mount intersperses language notes with fascinating information. Indeed, it's very readable as a book on Latin, since I often find books on the subject give me the zzz's, but ultimately I don't think its improved my Latin translation skills very much, despite the use of rhymes et cetera to make it more digestible.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.