Turn on thread page Beta

What book are you reading now? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yosso)
    I recently finished Villette, was alright, I can see why Jane Eyre is more of a classic - more actually happens. Plus I find Jane more likeable, Lucy doesn't seem to have much character. That's just me.

Atonement is - awesome!! I'm loving Ian McEwan at the moment!

I'm reading Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe (just started it today) and Fight Club by Chuck Pala...whatever.
    Really, I quite like Villette (I'm about half way through), and Lucy's OK. No books in that genre can match up to Jane Eyre IMO though. I love that book.

And is Atonement really that good? I was thinking of getting it but everyone I know hates it (although they probably just saw the movie).

ReputationRep:
    The Idiot by Dostoevsky. I'm not enjoying it as much as Crime and Punishment, or indeed Devils (or Demons depending on which edition you have), but a good read nonetheless. Nothing much happens in his novels, there is a lot of talk and chapter long expositions of views and emotions. It's an odd novel, mostly due to the fact that the title character is well read and of moderate intelligence, the only indications of his supposed idiocy being his naivety and very occasional fits. I'd probably enjoy it more if I read it more quickly, rather than fitting it around revision.

ReputationRep:
    At the moment I'm reading:
    A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
    War Comics: A Graphic History by Mike Conroy
    The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L Shirer

ReputationRep:
    The book I'm reading at the moment: 'Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day' by Winifred Watson. So far it's been an interesting, funny and charming read!

ReputationRep:
    North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell and Hard Times by Dickens. Both for my exam next week. I really despise North and South, one of the worsts reads I've experienced. It does start off ok.
    Hard Times is great!

ReputationRep:
    The Monk by Matthew Lewis

ReputationRep:
    Siegfried Sasson by John Stuart Roberts
    The Loved One by Evelyn Waugh
    Little, Big by John Crowley <-----Has anybody read or even heard of this?

I have got to stop reading three books at a time. I'm frightened by the sheer number of to read that I have, though.

ReputationRep:
    American Pastoral - Philip Roth
    Thus Spoke Zarathustra - Freidrich Nietzche
    Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
    Collected Poems - Philip Larkin
    Selected Poems - Emily Dicksinson

I read way too much at a time. I have about 11 books just waiting to be read - the prospect is rather daunting!

ReputationRep:
    Just started reading Blindsighted - Karin Slaughter

Looking to buy some new books, got a £15 Waterstones voucher that I want to use up asap (need...more...books!) ahah. Currently got Wasted by Marya Hornbache in my basket and need another one, maybe two books to reach my card limit. Any recommendations? I love all sorts but;

- mainly crime i.e anything by James Patterson, Martina Cole, Tess Gerritsen, Kathy Reichs, Karin Slaughter, Tami Hoag etc. but also real black humour novels like American Psycho, LOVE that book
    - anything a bit kooky or, dare I say, "indie" i.e The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Catcher in the Rye, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Fight Club
    - But I also like really easy, uplifting books (Just read Yes Man and I loved it, very inspiring!).

Anything that's either graphic and sick or pretty easy going but has a point haha

ReputationRep:
    Shame by Jaswinder Sanghera...

Good storyline, but just ridiculous structure to the story. Sometimes they'll spend 2 pages setting a scene up and then it just ends on a quarter of a page. Secondly, cant believe noone picked up on the spelling and grammar mistakes in this. Seems littered with them

ReputationRep:
    City of thieves - David Benioff

Just got past the first 3 pages so far haha. Not enough time with exam revision!

ReputationRep:
    Wuthering Heights again since I'm studying it for A2 English

ReputationRep:
    I'm reading "Thud" by Terry Pratchett at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    I've just got my teeth into One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. It's so beautifully written - definitely a feast for the imagination. My only issue is that it comes across slightly misorgynistic so far.

On a side note: Yippee! I've finished my English Literature degree! Now i can read what i want and when i want. Bliss. I'm nearly giddy with the prospect!

ReputationRep:
    Black Order - James Rollins

But I don't have so much time to read as of lately
    *shakes fists at exams*

ReputationRep:
    The Catcher in the Rye -- J.D. Salinger
    Egypt, Greece and Rome -- Charles Freeman
    Consciousness -- Susan Blackmore
    History of Western Philosophy -- Bertrand Russell

ReputationRep:
    Just started reading Anne Karenina by Leo Tolstoy- what am I thinking?! The character list at the start is very intimidating! Also just started reading Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte.

ReputationRep:
    Finished Sabriel and Lirael by Garth Nix, and now I'm onto the last of that series, Abhorsen. I love this series so much, but I don't know why cos I hate zombies. Hmm.

Next...hmm. I got some books out of the library but I don't know what I'll start with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_makeawish)
    Really, I quite like Villette (I'm about half way through), and Lucy's OK. No books in that genre can match up to Jane Eyre IMO though. I love that book.

And is Atonement really that good? I was thinking of getting it but everyone I know hates it (although they probably just saw the movie).
    I only watched about half of the movie over somebody's shoulder, haven't really had the urge to watch it in it's entirety (I'll probably confuse the two anyway so I think that's for the best!) so maybe I'm not the most impartial judge. Anyway, the book is much better than (what I saw) of the movie. Naturally, the book really allows you to get to know the characters which a 2 hour movie can't really do. I just find Briony one of the most realistically sculpted characters in any literature I've read so far. I like McEwan's style: fairly simple, not overly pretentious, but detailed. I'm really not doing him enough justice by this, but I urge you to read it and not be put off by the first part, where not much seems to be happening and Briony's fairly annoying and up herself. I could really go on about this book forever, but I think I'll censor myself

Yeah that's it Lucy is just OK. I don't really have any strong feelings to her either way, which I just think is disappointing as Bronte's capable of so much more as we both know how awesome Jane Eyre is. I don't think there's a character in that book I just felt completely apathetic towards, whereas because of Lucy's blandness I just wasn't bothered what happened to her. I found the other characters around her a lot more interesting than Lucy herself. (Maybe that was Bronte's intention? I don't know..)

(Original post by jollyrogera)
    Just started reading Anne Karenina by Leo Tolstoy- what am I thinking?! The character list at the start is very intimidating! Also just started reading Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte.
    I've still got that on my shelf. It's just so... intimidating! Wuthering Heights isn't bad from what I remember, which actually isn't much.. I just felt a bit depressed at the end of it.

I finished "Things Fall Apart" by China Achebe and finished Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk (I think that's how you spell it)

Reading Shalimar the Clown by Salman Rushdie. Hmm, yeah.

ReputationRep:
    Just finished RE reading all my Harry Potters geek that I am.

Currently reading 'Seven Pillars of Wisdom' by T.E. Lawrence.

Paulo Coelho is by far my favourite author. I love that sweet little old man! He is pure genius.

Peace

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.