This discussion is closed.
Less_then_zero
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Nouvelle vague)
The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides
i was thinking about getting this not sure wheather it'd be any good though, i think they made it into a film which is how a heard of it...

Geralds game - stephen king
thethinker
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've finally finished Moby **** and am now starting The Grapes of Wrath
RabbitCFH
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Treasure Island hehe, good one.
Jax0509
Report 9 years ago
James Rollins new book 'The Doomsday Key'
Nouvelle vague
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Less_then_zero)
i was thinking about getting this not sure wheather it'd be any good though, i think they made it into a film which is how a heard of it...
Looking at reviews and stuff, I have heard that the book is better than the film...
BillyMarsh
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Greg Norman: Way of The Shark.
W.O.N.D.E.R
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by tradingmyheartforyours)
Did you finish it??? That's my favourite book ever!!

Read Scarlett!!!
Sorry late answer ....:o:
Yea, I finished it for the 14th time (not counting the movie) ...and its my FAVOURITE book too )
And I dnt like "Scarlett"...its a weird book ...and the only nice thing in it, is that it got happy ending ...otherwise I dnt like it ...
Did anyone read Rhett Butler's People by Donald McCaig ??? Just curious shall i read it???
Less_then_zero
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Nouvelle vague)
Looking at reviews and stuff, I have heard that the book is better than the film...

maybe i'll download the film and see what its like i know sofia coppola directed it who did lost in translation which is really good, i got so many books to read atm i don't want to add to the list..
headunderwater
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm re-reading Lolita for the third time, this time I'm annotating it.
Miss Prankster Pixie
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
hi all,

i thought i'd create a discussion thread for oxbridge students, grads and applicants on what non-course-related books we all read (literature/factual/history/travel etc etc)... either for enjoyment or self torture[1].

i've just finished reading Gregory Maguire's Wicked: the life and times of the wicked witch of the west. I will never be able to watch The wizard of Oz in the same way again: such a rich and vibrant history and political system, it has completely turned the Oz story on its head, and was very challenging in places in terms of making teh reader question their own sense of what constitutes "evil". anyone else read it?

so, what you all reading? or what have you read?

Pixie-pie.

[1] I am currently reading House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. i'm only on page 26 and that book just made me
scream out loud
and start pacing
with skin crawling... awesome book, but
CREEPY AS F***.
headunderwater
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm currently re-reading Lolita for the third time, I just find it fascinating.
User182034
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm about to read The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot :woo: by about to-my bookmark is in it...

I'm also reading some books which I suppose are course related but they're more for personal interest such as ''Fifty Major Thinkers in Education''. Exciting I know!!
*pitseleh*
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Right now I'm rereading War and Peace. Building up to The Faerie Queene which, unfortunately, is a compulsory read for me.
NJHL
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by *pitseleh*)
Right now I'm rereading War and Peace. Building up to The Faerie Queene which, unfortunately, is a compulsory read for me.
Good luck, two absolute beasts there. I want to read The Faerie Queen too as I so enjoyed Spenser's Amoretti sonnets and The Shepherde's Calendar!

At the moment I'm torn between reading All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy or The French Lieutenant's Woman by John Fowles. Need to flip a coin to see who goes first.
spacepirate-James
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
[QUOTE=Miss Prankster Pixie]hi all,

i thought i'd create a discussion thread for oxbridge students, grads and applicants on what non-course-related books we all read (literature/factual/history/travel etc etc)... either for enjoyment or self torture[1].

i've just finished reading Gregory Maguire's Wicked: the life and times of the wicked witch of the west. I will never be able to watch The wizard of Oz in the same way again: such a rich and vibrant history and political system, it has completely turned the Oz story on its head, and was very challenging in places in terms of making teh reader question their own sense of what constitutes "evil". anyone else read it?
QUOTE]

not read it....but i have seen the musical! :woo:
But yeah its really interesting..i felt sorry for the witch..:yep:
*pitseleh*
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by NJHL)
Good luck, two absolute beasts there. I want to read The Faerie Queen too as I so enjoyed Spenser's Amoretti sonnets and The Shepherde's Calendar!

At the moment I'm torn between reading All the Pretty Horses by Cormas McCarthy or The French Lieutenant's Woman by John Fowles. Need to flip a coin to see who goes first.
Heh, thanks. :^_^: I've read War and Peace before so it shouldn't be too much like hard work. I'm afraid I'm not much of a Spenser fan, though!

All the Pretty Horses is awesome.
aKarma
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm currently reading The Three Musketeers and The Subterranean Railway (non-fiction)
Before that I read The Brothers Karamazov and next I intend to read Sun God (as I'm going to Egypt :woo:) and Pillars of the Earth

I read quite a lot though, so the few books currently being read doesn't really reflect my normal reading
DancingCorpse
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by fabulous_darling)
I still haven't recovered from reading The Shining :sad:
It is actually a pretty unsettling book! I still love it though, it really gets into your psyche!
pinkpenguin
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
Teebs
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I feel rather low brow after reading through the thread.

The most recent few books I've read are (in no particular order):
Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy
Wintersmith (Terry Pratchett)
Myths and Legends of World War 2
Shadow of the Scorpion (Neal Asher, sci fi)
The Swords of Night and Day (David Gemmell, fantasy)
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (137)
18.51%
No (449)
60.68%
Not really bothered about them (154)
20.81%

Watched Threads