What book are you reading now? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Sanyore
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Swaying Eel)
Finally getting round to Philip K. ****, reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep at the moment. I've been meaning to for ages.

Otherwise recently I bought a load of lovely books from a gorgeous second hand book shop, including some Steinbeck, Bukoswki, Dostoevsky, Poe and Gunter Grass. Bought about 20 books and it came to about £25!
The only **** I've read is VALIS, and that was 2 years ago. I really liked it back then, it's a cosmic conspiracy-ish thing. That shop sounds amazing. The good charity shops are usually at least a few quid a book, and the parts I'm from are cheap but usually end up having masses of Dan Brown donated anyway, so it's a shame.

I read Steinbeck's The Pearl. It's alright. Now reading Barrel Fever by David Sedaris but feel like reading something else, not too sure what. fairly spoilt for choice too.
ChantelleNE
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
Johnny Got His Gun - Dalton Trumbo
I got about 1/3 of the way through Catch 22, but I don't think I'll finish it in time for the start college and have time to read A Streetcar Named/Called Desire for Literature It seems quite confusing at the moment too, so I'll really need to focus :p:
& no, I can't read more than one book at a time, I get confused!
huladancingmunchkin
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just finished Brideshead Revisted - Waugh.

Going to read The Time Traveller's Wife next. Can't wait to start it after hearing so much about it :woo:
Swaying Eel
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by T kay)
20 books for £25!

I like the books you've bought too. I recently bought Crime and Punishement by Dostoevsky. I will buy some books by Steinbeck and Edgar Allen Poe some day. I love Buckowski, especially his poetry. Not a lot of people have read his work which is a shame.

I bought 10 books for £25 from various websites (most of them from Amazon). It was the cheapest way to buy them and I got them brand new. The charity shops next to my house sell books at £2 to £3 and they won't have all the books I want. Which charity shop did you get lucky in?
Thanks man. Yeah everything I bought is definitely worth a read. I love Bukowski's poetry too, I have about 100 mp3s of his stuff on my ipod, he's reciting it which is pretty cool.

It was a second hand book shop - it looks incredibly dilapidated but it's stacked full of books, it's like I walked into a dream. The guy who owns it is very charismatic and helps you out. I love the place, gonna go there again soon!

I must recommend Steinbeck's East of Eden, it's my favourite book ever, and I don't feel bad saying that.

(Original post by Sanyore)
The only **** I've read is VALIS, and that was 2 years ago. I really liked it back then, it's a cosmic conspiracy-ish thing. That shop sounds amazing. The good charity shops are usually at least a few quid a book, and the parts I'm from are cheap but usually end up having masses of Dan Brown donated anyway, so it's a shame.

I read Steinbeck's The Pearl. It's alright. Now reading Barrel Fever by David Sedaris but feel like reading something else, not too sure what. fairly spoilt for choice too.
Nice, read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep man it's a really good read, gets you thinking.

Again I'll recommend to you Steinbeck's East of Eden. :yep:
T kay
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Thanks man. Yeah everything I bought is definitely worth a read. I love Bukowski's poetry too, I have about 100 mp3s of his stuff on my ipod, he's reciting it which is pretty cool.

It was a second hand book shop - it looks incredibly dilapidated but it's stacked full of books, it's like I walked into a dream. The guy who owns it is very charismatic and helps you out. I love the place, gonna go there again soon!
How did you get Bukowski onto your ipod? That's pretty cool.

I just bought a collection of his poems, The Days Run Away Like Wild Horses Over the Hills. Looking forward to reading that.

I'm going into town tomorrow so I'll pop into a book shop, hopefully I come across some Steinbeck.
Swaying Eel
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by T kay)
How did you get Bukowski onto your ipod? That's pretty cool.

I just bought a collection of his poems, The Days Run Away Like Wild Horses Over the Hills. Looking forward to reading that.

I'm going into town tomorrow so I'll pop into a book shop, hopefully I come across some Steinbeck.
I found a series of recordings that he did, one collection is called King of Poets, and the other is called 70 Minutes in Hell; if you find a decent torrent you should be able to get hold of them. He has a very monotonous voice, it's hard to listen to more than 10 at a time.
I also have that collection of poems! It's nice to have them in book form.

Excellent. If you don't find any, try Amazon, East of Eden got me more into literature, I can't wait to read it again. Grapes of Wrath is excellent too.

Have you read Bukowski's novels? Ham on Rye is brilliant.
T kay
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I found a series of recordings that he did, one collection is called King of Poets, and the other is called 70 Minutes in Hell; if you find a decent torrent you should be able to get hold of them. He has a very monotonous voice, it's hard to listen to more than 10 at a time.
I also have that collection of poems! It's nice to have them in book form.

Excellent. If you don't find any, try Amazon, East of Eden got me more into literature, I can't wait to read it again. Grapes of Wrath is excellent too.

Have you read Bukowski's novels? Ham on Rye is brilliant.
I am planning on reading some of Bukowski's novels: Ham on Rye, Factotum, Post Office. These three are the most well known of his novels.

I'll get a friend to download the torrents 'cos I'm hopeless on computers :rolleyes:

Ever since I read Of Mice and Men I've wanted to read some more Steinbeck. If I see any copies of Cannery Row, The Grapes of Wrath or East of Eden I'll definitely be buying them.
M.Y.
Report 9 years ago
I'm reading a book by stephen hawking, it's called black holes and baby universes and other essays. it's a nice book, and it's well written.
I'm also reading a novel named The Giver, i'm still in the 4th chapter, but i think it's good.
-Neon-
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm about 40 pages into The God Delusion.
Good impressions so far.
Cooro
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Memoirs of a Geisha- Arthur Golden
Undead and Unwelcome- MaryJanice Davidson
Dune- Frank Herbert
M.Y.
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Cooro)
Memoirs of a Geisha- Arthur Golden
Undead and Unwelcome- MaryJanice Davidson
Dune- Frank Herbert

hey, how do you like Dune ?!
I never read it, but i would like to. Can anyone tell me what the book is about ?!

alex_hk90
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by M.Y.)
I never read it, but i would like to. Can anyone tell me what the book is about ?!

It's one of the best sci-fi books ever written, though its themes range from politics to philosophy. It's set many years in the future, primarily on a desert planet (Dune) which is the only source of the 'spice' - a substance which is both the basis of space transport and an addictive drug that prolongs life. The power structure of the galactic empire is modelled on the old 'House' system (think Battle of the Roses), with a couple of influential religious groups and a technological group (though computers have been abolished as dangerous). In simple terms, the first book is a power struggle for Dune, but in reality it is so much more than that. I can't recommend it enough.
Rob16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows..again. Im not obsessed...honest :ninja:
Cooro
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by M.Y.)

I'm literally only a page into it :p: I was already reading the other two books I mentioned when I borrowed Dune off a friend yesterday, so I have no idea what it's about. Wikipedia might help you there
*banana
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The Silver Chair, CS Lewis
La Esmerelda
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Robinson Crusoe.

I like it but it seems way too descriptive... but I suppose it is a diary about a castaway stranded on a remote island with no one to talk to, so really what else could he put in his journal?
~emy~
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm reading a book called Fear Itself. It's okay but not exactly a page-turner. I'm having to force myself to hurry up and finish it so I can read something else! No really it;s not THAT bad, I just have about a hundred books that I want to read before I start uni.
journeymanjim
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Currently reading The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner. Finding it hard to get into.

Jim
pimpom
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The best of times by Penny Vincenzi, really enjoying it so far :]
LalaLand-xo
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Betrayed in the House of Night series by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast. Very good series so far. I think anyone that loves twilight would like this series too.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (213)
27.92%
No (550)
72.08%

Watched Threads