The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Tempted- PC and Kristin Cast
I'm about to start reading Great Expectations - Charles Dickens

EDIT I've changed my mind and I'll read the above soon but I have just started PS I love you - Cecelia Ahern and so far it's quite good. :love:
booksnob
Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. I prefer HOAYS so far.
Fallen Angel by Andrew Taylor. I am unashamed!
And for school, it is more a case of studying than reading: Heart of Darkness, Arcadia, A Woman of No Importance & Wuthering Heights.

Is Purple Hibiscus a lot better than HOAYS? I've only ever read one book by her.
pumpkin gets a snakebite
Ooh, what did you make of Demons? It's first on my post-interview(s) reading list; currently grappling with Iain Sinclair's 'London Orbital', and leisurely reading through some poetry by Richard Brautigan (probably my favourite writer ever) and David Berman (ex-Silver Jews).

Overall it was...I can't really describe it! At first I hated it, (but this might be because I had just finished War and Peace, so another big Russian novel might've been a bad idea) it was sooo boring for over 400 pages. It's a 700something page novel, and in those final few hundred loads of thing are cramped in. It did get quite exciting though. Before that there was some typical Dostoyevsky philosophical stuff, but not nearly as much as I would've liked.
sleekchic
Is Purple Hibiscus a lot better than HOAYS? I've only ever read one book by her.

No, I think Half of a Yellow Sun is the better book. It is a lot more mature, though some people might say drier. But I am enjoying Purple Hibiscus a lot.

Have you read HOAYS then? :smile:
booksnob
No, I think Half of a Yellow Sun is the better book. It is a lot more mature, though some people might say drier. But I am enjoying Purple Hibiscus a lot.

Have you read HOAYS then? :smile:

Yes I have. I read it shortly after it won the Orange prize and I thought it was a really good book and quite accurate, right down to the war etc but I hated the ending. It just felt empty and unknown. :frown:
Reply 7286
Ragged Dick by Horatio Alger. It's for uni :yucky:
Reply 7287
Just started Disney War: The Battle For The Magic Kingdom by James B. Stewart
Right now I'm reading Terror from Beyond Middle England by Sarah Crabtree. Among other things, it's about the relationships that we maintain, what we do about loneliness and how we define ourselves as an individual. It's absorbing and funny, and such a quick read.
PS I love you was amazing and funny and sad and hillarious and different compared to all the other books I have read. I loved the authors writing style and I finished it in one night.
The Fog by James Herbert
The color purple by Alice Walker
The Handmaids tale by Margaret Atwood
(The Fog is for English Laguage Coursework and the last two are for English Literature Coursework.)
The Return by Victoria Hislop
Ape and Essence - Aldous Huxley
Pantagruel - François Rabelais
Reply 7293
Portrait of a Lady - Henry James
Re-reading The Picture of Dorian Gray for an essay, then when that's in it's straight onto Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. Then King Lear. Then An Essay on Criticism. All for next week.

I knew reading week was called reading week and not sleeping and eating week for a reason :frown:
2001: a space odyssey - Arthur C. Clarke
Catsmeat
2001: a space odyssey - Arthur C. Clarke

I read that recently, and didn't feel it lived up to the hype. :no:
alex_hk90
I read that recently, and didn't feel it lived up to the hype. :no:

It is certainly 'of its time'; every characterization, description and personality is lock-stock-and-barrel Futurian writing. It's a slight disappointment, having just read Tau Zero and the Ilium/Olympus cycle.
Reply 7298
Just finished Ragged Dick by Horatio Alger. I had to read it for uni, but it's actually a pretty good book. I just read the whole thing in 3 hours.
Overheard in a Dream - Torey Hayden.

Latest

Trending

Trending