Of Mutability - Jo Shapcott
alex_hk90
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Mighty Moe)
The Stand by Stephen King. It's probably my biggest ever read at 1300+ pages. I'm 300 pages in.
It's worth it though. :yep:
missionverdana
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
31 Songs by Nick Hornby.
~ Purple Rose ~
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by 22KT22)
That's why I want to read it :p:

Although am taking a break from challenging books (the way stephen fry writes not to mention some of his content can be a little hard to make sense of) so have decided to read Alice's Adventures in wonderland.

Have you read any stephen fry?
Not yet, it's on my ridiculously long to-read list though :p:
d123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The Satanic Verses - Salman Rushdie.

I like it so far. Only started it today so not that far into it yet, I can see why it's so highly rated but not why it gained him a fatwa, although perhaps that will become obvious as I read on.
blatchcorn
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
About to start reading The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Robert Louis Stevenson

Bought it originally to use as further reading material for my A-levels but found Jayne Eyre and Dracula too time consuming, so its just been sitting on my shelf for half a year now.
Chapter One
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just reading Melville's Moby-**** at the moment, does anyone else find it funny? I'm only up to about chapter 30, but Ishamael makes me chuckle with his comments to Queequeg, and Queequeg is just generally lol worthy.
Sir_Vile_Minds
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Started reading Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill today for the second time.

If you like Stephen King this is a book worthy of reading, plus, Joe Hill is King's son
ahq
Badges: 13
Report 8 years ago
'The Old Man and the Sea' - Ernest Hemingway
rawwwwr!
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The Quiet Room -Journey Out of the Torment of Madness
blatchcorn
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Abiraleft)
'The Old Man and the Sea' - Ernest Hemingway
How good is it so far? I've heard it is supposed to be the best of Hemingway's work.
zebraempire
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Mighty Moe)
The Stand by Stephen King. It's probably my biggest ever read at 1300+ pages. I'm 300 pages in.
Reading that myself, around 300 pages in too...it's quite confusing, but knowing what Stephen King is like, I'm sure it IS worth it!
ahq
Badges: 13
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by blatchcorn)
How good is it so far? I've heard it is supposed to be the best of Hemingway's work.
I've read about half of it so far (about 50 pages) and I think it's fantastic. I haven't read anything else by Hemingway, so I can't compare it.
fever skin
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Chapter One)
Just reading Melville's Moby-**** at the moment, does anyone else find it funny? I'm only up to about chapter 30, but Ishamael makes me chuckle with his comments to Queequeg, and Queequeg is just generally lol worthy.
I am also reading Moby **** just now (though you posted a while ago so you may be finished by now :o:)
Yes it is quite funny, Ishmael is a character. I wish there was more of his relationship with Queequeg further on in the book. It's getting a bit dull where I am now (Chapter 46) - with his lists of the different kinds of whales and things - I want more narrative. It's readable but not exactly thrilling at the moment, though I'm sure thing's'll change soon...
CooCooCachoo
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by blatchcorn)
I only read The Sun Also Rises and The Old Man and the Sea, and would say that the latter is a more interesting read than the former. I am not at all a fan of his writing themes or style, though, and am not sure I will read any of his other works.
CooCooCachoo
Report 8 years ago
Anyways, I just finished A Single Man by Christopher Isherwood and Night by Elie Wiesel in the last two days. Both are highly recommendable. I would even say that Wiesel's account should be compulsory reading in high school.

Am continuing with Loot and Other Stories by Nadine Gordimer - in the hope of liking it better than July's People - and More Machiavelli in Brussels: The Art of Lobbying the EU by Rinus van Schendelen.
Ultimate_Geek
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin. It's brilliant. Second in the series and I seem unable to put it down.
black_vine
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I just finished reading "The Catcher in the Rye" J.D. Salinger now I'm on "Jacob's Room" Virginia Woolf
gingerrama
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just finished The Outsider (wherehaveyoubeenallmylife good; I read it in two hours), The Picture of Dorian Gray again and the Perks of Being A Wallflower (kind of pales in comparison). Just starting Lolita and Notes On A Scandal, which I really should have read before now, and I tried to start Money by Martin Amis but it's way too 80s and I'm not in the mood for that type of thing...
haithere
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Twilight: Eclipse

Can't believe I've become someone who enjoys twilight, but there we are.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (151)
18.04%
No (510)
60.93%
Not really bothered about them (176)
21.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise