Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    PS I love You and just finished The Last Song. I keep reading very heavy going books so I need some light hearted romance...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Planar)
    Just finished Brave New World, and found myself jealous at points... not sure what to read next. Could someone provide me with a suggestion?
    If you're looking for stuff of a similar genre then: 1984, A Clockwork Orange, We, The Handmaid's Tale, etc.

(Original post by garlicbreadman)
    Trying to read "Consider Phlebas" by Iain Banks but finding it confusing!
    It tends to be worth it with Iain M. Banks - really clever and gets gripping around a third to half way in. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Reading 'Wells of Ascension' by Brandon Sanderson

ReputationRep:
    Dog Blood by David Moody.

Honestly, the first one was better - though saying that, im not even a quarter of the way through.
    Should give it more of a chance really but meh, it has been around 200 pages. Just not exciting me.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, I want to read something deep. Not too long as I do have exams and stuff soon so need to work. I just want to read something that'll make my life and **** seem insignificant. A book I can find easily in the library?

Currently reading Lost symbol.

ReputationRep:
    The Group, Mary McCarthy. It's quite interesting, but I'm not enjoying it that much. I would quite like to get it finished now so I can start on something good over Christmas.

ReputationRep:
    Just started 'The Left hand of God' by Paul Hoffman...it seems pretty macabre, which is just fine by me ;D

ReputationRep:
    The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak.

ReputationRep:
    The girl who kicked the hornets nest - Steig Larsson.

ReputationRep:
    I just finished reading The Book Thief and oh my, it held so many thing that I even can't begin to explain, within its pages. I urge you to read it.

ReputationRep:
    A Season With Verona - Tim Parks :yum:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awesomesauce)
    Still reading Sophies world, started reading QED and kinda reading Northern Light.
    Ooh, if you like Sophie's World, try The Christmas Mystery afterwards - it's also by Jostein Gaarder, and it's great (it has a chapter for every day of advent!) If on a Winter's Night a Traveller by Italo Calvino is also kinda similar in the 'book within a book' sense.

I'm re-reading bits and pieces of Shakespeare at the moment for my degree, despite having managed to get through his whole canon over the summer holidays.

ReputationRep:
    After Dark by Haruki Murakami.

ReputationRep:
    Ashes to Ashes - Marcus Berkmann

Cricket :love:

ReputationRep:
    The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett

ReputationRep:
    Andrew Marr's - 'A History of Modern Britain'

Looking around for something fictional and vaguely seasonal to read over the next couple of weeks.

ReputationRep:
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (One of the weirdest books ever)

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Sir_Vile_Minds)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (One of the weirdest books ever)
    Weird but brilliant. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    Weird but brilliant. :yep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Only 60 pages in since last night :teeth: but I'm already really liking it. The concept of breeding children the way alchohol would be brewed is an extreme thing but something that may one day be possible
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Sir_Vile_Minds)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Only 60 pages in since last night :teeth: but I'm already really liking it. The concept of breeding children the way alchohol would be brewed is an extreme thing but something that may one day be possible
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The main idea of that part as I read it was that you were predestined by design from birth to be of a certain rigid social class, and more importantly, to actually like whatever class you ended up in. The alcohol is a device to ensure that the epsilons (and maybe deltas I can't remember) are actually genetically inferior to the alphas and betas. But there are so many relevant philosophical issues that book raises, which I won't go into as I don't know if you've got to them yet.

Poll
Do you have any savings?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.