The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Taste of Sorrow - Jude Morgan.

It's historical fiction about the Brontes. Don't know a lot about them so not sure how accurate it is, am enjoying it though.
Reply 9041
We Need To Talk About Kevin.
Lionel Shriver

Great Book
Reply 9042
I just finish reading whatever you love by louise doughty. It was such a good book!!!! (btw meet her yesterday and she seem so nice and she just made love the book even more)
it has just got me back into reading <3
Reply 9043
American Psycho.
Seen the film a few times over the years so thought I may as well read the book. I enjoy it but the sex scenes are a bit graphic.

I also bought One Day so have to read that soon.
Reply 9044
Horrible Histories: Stormin' Normans
Thought I needed a bit of a break from textbooks and this seemed a good one.
I'm reading Poppy's War by Lily Baxter at the moment.
Only a couple of chapters in so the story hasn't really got going yet, but it seems quite good so far. :smile:
Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen.
The Fry Chronicles by Stephen Fry.
The Second Book of General Ignorance (QI) by John Lloyd and John Mitchinson.

Dipping in and out of the QI book. About halfway through Stephen Fry but haven't read any for a few days. Reading Sense and Sensibility on my iPod - first ebook I've ever read. Finding it a little weird to be honest (the ebook, not the actual novel).

EDIT: forgot, Hamlet as well. Doing it for English and really enjoying it. I've read the first act and I can see why people love it so much.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9047
After Many a Summer Dies the Swan - Aldous Huxley
Great Expectations - Dickens
Midsummer Night's Dream - Shakespeare
Poems and whatnot - Keats
Paradise Lost - Milton
annd when I get the time, Odyssey, Homer. I know, should've read that by middle school, but never got around to it...
Original post by No Future
I saw the film of Fear & Loathing...Haven't had a chance to find the book.

yeah you've did good there, thats one hell of a film
Original post by tite23
After Many a Summer Dies the Swan - Aldous Huxley
Great Expectations - Dickens
Midsummer Night's Dream - Shakespeare
Poems and whatnot - Keats
Paradise Lost - Milton
annd when I get the time, Odyssey, Homer. I know, should've read that by middle school, but never got around to it...

yeah i mean what, you're reading them all at the same time or what?
The Master by Colm Toibin.

Really slow at the start, just finally getting in to it properly at around pg 100.
The Messiah secret by James Becker. About some hidden treasure/secret in Tibet and the search for it. Good mystery book.
Reply 9052
Am I the only person who hasn't really enjoyed reading Emma by Jane Austen?

I've started reading Swimming Pool Sunday by Madeleine Wickham alongside it.
Reply 9053
Empire of Gold by Andy McDermott, got into his books a lot recently this was just the next in the series.
Reply 9054
Behind the curtain - Jonathan Wilson.
Reply 9055
Original post by TK2 King Pin
yeah i mean what, you're reading them all at the same time or what?

Sorta... I flip through Keats/Milton when I'm in the car or waiting while my mom runs errands, etc. Huxley I read passionately until Mr. Propter began his multi-chapter monologue thing, and now it's waiting patiently by my pillow. Tale of Two Cities has mostlikely been filched by my little brother, Midsummer Night's Dream is required in class, and I read Great Expectations whenever I've got free time cos it's bloody awesome.
Soo, yeah: sorta.
Something by Kevin Smith, but I can't read the title from here, and like hell am I getting up.
Reply 9057
Original post by Sempiternitas
I'm almost done with Brideshead Revisited. I think I might try another Waugh. Have you read Vile Bodies as well?

SORRY haven't been on TSR for a few days! I've read Brideshead too - it's a great book! Vile Bodies is a good read, it's pretty classic Waugh but I'd recommend you to read A Handful of Dust - the first 120 pages or so are pure literary genius (although it does lose it a bit towards the end in an attempt by Waugh to be controversial).
Original post by JEDWARD
SORRY haven't been on TSR for a few days! I've read Brideshead too - it's a great book! Vile Bodies is a good read, it's pretty classic Waugh but I'd recommend you to read A Handful of Dust - the first 120 pages or so are pure literary genius (although it does lose it a bit towards the end in an attempt by Waugh to be controversial).

Thanks! I think I'll finish the last chapter of Brideshead tonight. (Brideshead or practice Maths paper? I think it's decided.) I was talking about the book in History and launched the whole class into a religous debate. :biggrin:
I'm currently reading The Iliad by Homer which is proving to live up to its expectations. Awesome book.

Latest

Trending

Trending