The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9380
Original post by ella37
oh do! i was a little put off when i realised how big the book was (not a fan of long stories. haha), but i couldn't put the book down once i started it. :smile: (i didn't even know it was a book, i knew the title from the film adaptation!)

I started it yesterday and I'm loving it!!
Beowulf by erm....anonymous?
Original post by Acerbic
Brave person. I've got an AS level exam on it in May, and haven't finished it once yet.

It takes a while to get into, but once you get going it's good...
Reply 9383
Original post by Kayeffsee
I see what you did theeere :tongue: We're reading Tess at the moment for A2, and though it was enjoyable at first, I'm getting fed up of having to read the death of Sorrow in what I imagine to be Tess's accent to the class :colone: in the words of Toby Turner; Good lord!

__

Considering putting current book on hold in order to get the Handmaid's Tale? Recc's/Crit? :biggrin:

Good lord indeed! I tried doing that as well, bad idea given that I have an Australian accent and my interpretation of the Somerset accent was utterly laughable. :smile: Are you up to the part in Talbothays yet? That whole section is just so beautifully written (in fact, so is the whole book [apart from a couple of parts])

I really enjoyed Handmaid's Tale, it was very thought-provoking and compelling (once you got beyond the first couple of chapters). I don't agree with Atwood's stance that the events depicted in the book could become reality, but she certainly makes some valid points about the role of women. Not necessarily Atwood's best (Alias Grace and The Blind Assassin are, imho) but still a very worthwhile read. Anyone want to counter me?
Original post by juju
Good lord indeed! I tried doing that as well, bad idea given that I have an Australian accent and my interpretation of the Somerset accent was utterly laughable. :smile: Are you up to the part in Talbothays yet? That whole section is just so beautifully written (in fact, so is the whole book [apart from a couple of parts])

I really enjoyed Handmaid's Tale, it was very thought-provoking and compelling (once you got beyond the first couple of chapters). I don't agree with Atwood's stance that the events depicted in the book could become reality, but she certainly makes some valid points about the role of women. Not necessarily Atwood's best (Alias Grace and The Blind Assassin are, imho) but still a very worthwhile read. Anyone want to counter me?

oh no, Tess dies?! :frown: I'm just up to the bit where she decides she's going to tell him about her past. I feel the constant urge to shout, "No, no! What he doesn't know wont hurt him!" at the book. Realising it's paper and ink and not a human, I refrain.
I am now reading Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro!! It is brill so far!!! Eeek! I can't wait to finish reading it!! :smile:
Reply 9386
Original post by MelissaJayne
oh no, Tess dies?! :frown: I'm just up to the bit where she decides she's going to tell him about her past. I feel the constant urge to shout, "No, no! What he doesn't know wont hurt him!" at the book. Realising it's paper and ink and not a human, I refrain.

I admire your restraint; I sure couldn't refrain myself from shouting :redface:
Her misfortunes are frustrating and disheartening - I suppose that's the power of Hardy's craft! Great novel. I must read it again soon.
I hope someone didn't spoil the ending, though towards the end I had thought it was likely, for it was her only way of release and absolution.
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm reading The Ghost Brigades by John Scalzi
Original post by JAR12
I admire your restraint; I sure couldn't refrain myself from shouting :redface:
Her misfortunes are frustrating and disheartening - I suppose that's the power of Hardy's craft! Great novel. I must read it again soon.
I hope someone didn't spoil the ending, though towards the end I had thought it was likely, for it was her only way of release and absolution.

Thank you. I'm sure I shall enjoy the end regardless. I'm still intrigued to see how it will unfold. And just the way Hardy writes is enough to keep me reading and enjoying regardless. This has really encouraged me to read more classics. Not sure which to move onto next! :biggrin:
Reply 9389

Tehe, not saying :tongue:

Do not refrain, there are a fair few people who seem to get almost personally involved with the plot, haha! One of my friends and I spend hours ranting about Alec, Angel and the injustice of it all, despite the fact that it's, well, a fictional work. I'm one of those annoying people who can't sit through a film without empathising with the characters, and the expression on my face throughout a film tends to correspond with the mood of the film itself at that present moment (apart from when I was forced to watch Twilight, throughout which my face has a combination of these expressions: :rolleyes: :angry: )
Reply 9390
Thank you. I'm sure I shall enjoy the end regardless. I'm still intrigued to see how it will unfold. And just the way Hardy writes is enough to keep me reading and enjoying regardless. This has really encouraged me to read more classics. Not sure which to move onto next! :biggrin:

Yes, there are quite a few twists between the point you are at now and the denouement! It's sad, but you also get a sense of fulfilment. Hardy's writing is beautiful and the novel has so much depth in terms of its exploration not only of societal expectations but of other social issues, as well as the human conditions of the characters. It more than compensates for the at-times-contrived plot (as you will see later on in the book :tongue: )
Original post by juju
Tehe, not saying :tongue:

Do not refrain, there are a fair few people who seem to get almost personally involved with the plot, haha! One of my friends and I spend hours ranting about Alec, Angel and the injustice of it all, despite the fact that it's, well, a fictional work. I'm one of those annoying people who can't sit through a film without empathising with the characters, and the expression on my face throughout a film tends to correspond with the mood of the film itself at that present moment (apart from when I was forced to watch Twilight, throughout which my face has a combination of these expressions: :rolleyes: :angry: )

Ha ha, brilliant. I am excited now! :biggrin: I'll read it when I get into bed tonight, I'm almost wishing the minutes away so I can just hurry up and be on with it. I'm the same. I don't think there's anything wrong with getting involved, little bit of escapism never hurt anyone. Except maybe, Chilean miners..
"Understanding the European Union". Politics textbooks ftw.
Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy.

It wasn't until the bbc programme with Sebastian Faulkes that I realised how very few of the "classics" I'd read. I think I almost assumed I'd read them just by the acknowledgement of the titles and recognising the main story line. But after the programme, I felt it was time I started actually reading these classics. Find out what the fuss was about.

And so far, I've not been disappointed. You can really see why this book has hung around for so many years. The way it's written, the obvious intelligence behind every utterance, the originality of it. Unbeatable.

Just reading this book makes me wish I could hop back a century and live like them!

love the book but I wouldnt want to live like that!!
Reply 9394
The Bottom Billion - P. Collier, out of choice, not for uni.

just finished brighton rock by greene
The Code Book - Simon Singh

really interesting, loving it
Talking with serial Killers - Christopher Berry Dee
Reply 9397
Original post by ~Tasha~
I started it yesterday and I'm loving it!!

yey i'm glad! :biggrin:
be prepared to start dreading going to the shower. xD what lurks behind the shower curtain? dun dun dun...
Reply 9398
Right now:
Still reading Thoreau's Collected Essays, finished all but the last one (Life Without Principle)
Murakami's Kafka on the Shore, did 300 pages in two days, totally loving it
Salinger's Nine Stories, just started yesterday, read the first one (Banana Fish), it's awesome...
Reply 9399
I read Little Women at the weekend and really enjoyed it. I only had the first volume and plan to read the second (Good Wives) in the summer holidays :smile:
Now I'm reading Testament of Youth-Vera Brittain, as wider reading for my AS Literature exam. It's a really big book, but I admire her views so it's quite easy to get into.
Afterwards I'm going to read Undertones of War-Edmund Blunden, also as wider reading :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending