Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juju)
    X

(Original post by MelissaJayne)
    X

(Original post by Kayeffsee)
    X

AHEM, please have the courtesy not to discuss the endings of books without using spoiler tags first.

Sorry to go all grumpy grandma on you in particular - there will have been and will be people who do the same thing - it's just that having spoiled for myself the ending of Jude I didn't want the same thing for Tess. Anyway, I'll stop pissing you off/ making you feel bad

just my two cents
    If I'm honest, what you guys said is what I'd come to expect of the book anyway. :rolleyes:

PS. to everyone else: If you don't want the endings of Jude the Obscure/ Tess of the d'Urbervilles given away, then do not click the above posts!

ReputationRep:
    The 10,000 Year Explosion: How Civilization Accelerated Human Evolution.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/e3465a8a-1...44feab49a.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xCHiiBiEverlastingx)
    AHEM, please have the courtesy not to discuss the endings of books without using spoiler tags first.

Sorry to go all grumpy grandma on you in particular - there will have been and will be people who do the same thing - it's just that having spoiled for myself the ending of Jude I didn't want the same thing for Tess. Anyway, I'll stop pissing you off/ making you feel bad

just my two cents
    If I'm honest, what you guys said is what I'd come to expect of the book anyway. :rolleyes:

PS. to everyone else: If you don't want the endings of Jude the Obscure/ Tess of the d'Urbervilles given away, then do not click the above posts!
    I'm still reading it! I didn't want it spoilt either

ReputationRep:
    Life of Pi

ReputationRep:
    The book of laughter and forgetting- Milan Kundera

ReputationRep:
    Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy. I'm really loving it at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnny 5)
    I'm actually reading about four. The pressures of work mean that I actually haven't finished any of them.
    This!
    I am currently reading
    - the third lord of the rings
    - the mabonogion
    - the canterbury tales
    - wolf brother (lol)

and the first three are really boring! Yet I feel I should read them for their contribution to literature. I've been reading that LOTR one for about a year and I've only read 3 chapters -.- they're so slow going!! I read Pride & Prejudice faster than that... I even read Macbeth faster than that!

ReputationRep:
    Just finished Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami, looking to find a cinema where I can watch the film this weekend.
    Starting Atonement by Ian McEwan now. Read On Chesil Beach and was utterly blown away, I hope this will be just as good. Watched the film before reading the book this time round!

ReputationRep:
    Oblomov by Goncharov and a collection of short stories by Kipling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elstevens)
    Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy. I'm really loving it at the moment.
    Another Hardy fan! Brilliant

ReputationRep:
    1984 (for the bajillionth time *yawn*), The Mosquito Coast, My Life in the Bush of Ghosts, The Bloody Chamber and Therese Raquin for course reading.

And One Day for pleasure. Or... I intend to start it tonight, in any case. Finished Never Let Me Go last night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paramore<3)
    Just finished Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami, looking to find a cinema where I can watch the film this weekend.
    Starting Atonement by Ian McEwan now. Read On Chesil Beach and was utterly blown away, I hope this will be just as good. Watched the film before reading the book this time round!

Both brilliant. Read Norwegian Wood very recently.

Atonement is much better than Chesil Beach, you're in for a treat.

ReputationRep:
    I'm reading Earthly Powers by Anthony Burgess and doing a re-read of Girlfriend in a Coma by Douglas Coupland, which is one of my favourite books of all time.

ReputationRep:
    Plato- The Republic

ReputationRep:
    just Started Jane Eyre, need to see what all the excitements about, then will probably start Jude the Obscure by hardy (it's been on my shelf for the past year)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juju)
    i LOVED Kafka on the Shore, it is really an incredible book, and one that I can always go back to. Have you read any other Murakami? There's a film adaptation of Norwegian Wood being released later this month, quite curious to see what it's like!
    I've read Norwegian Wood and I loved it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xCHiiBiEverlastingx)
    X
    Sorry; have a tendency to get a little overexcited with regards to plots and the likes.

__

(Original post by joanna-eve)
    This!
    I am currently reading
    - the canterbury tales
    You're reading this voluntarily? :eek: Wow. Kudos to your bravery xD

__

And based on what was said, I might read another of Atwood's novels instead of The Handmaid's Tale. I'm leaning towards The Blind Assassin personally

ReputationRep:
    I'm still reading Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy. My parents got me the first book for christmas and I'm still reading it! It feels like the book could be nearly finished, but wait...theres another 1400+ pages to go of the story?

It's not that I dislike the book...it just hasn't grabbed and forced me to turn the pages. As far as fantasy books go, nothing has grabbed me like Robin Hobb "The Farseer" trilogy has, and since I only read that book last year, I can't help but compare everything to it. Ever since reading that trilogy, I just can't seem to get into Fantasy literature anymore, everything feels subpar.

Okay well, that was my unintentional rant finished.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tite23)
    Sorta... I flip through Keats/Milton when I'm in the car or waiting while my mom runs errands, etc. Huxley I read passionately until Mr. Propter began his multi-chapter monologue thing, and now it's waiting patiently by my pillow. Tale of Two Cities has mostlikely been filched by my little brother, Midsummer Night's Dream is required in class, and I read Great Expectations whenever I've got free time cos it's bloody awesome.
    Soo, yeah: sorta.
    woah yeah ok, i'm shocked at how late this reply is, i havent been on here in time

and yeah i just don't read books, sure i used to, now i just occaisionally write them

ReputationRep:
    Game Theory and Economic Modelling by David Kreps, bloody brilliant

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.