The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9420
Plato- The Republic :smile:
Reply 9421
just Started Jane Eyre, need to see what all the excitements about, then will probably start Jude the Obscure by hardy (it's been on my shelf for the past year)
Reply 9422
Original post by juju
i LOVED Kafka on the Shore, it is really an incredible book, and one that I can always go back to. Have you read any other Murakami? There's a film adaptation of Norwegian Wood being released later this month, quite curious to see what it's like!

I've read Norwegian Wood and I loved it!
Original post by xCHiiBiEverlastingx
X

:colondollar: Sorry; have a tendency to get a little overexcited with regards to plots and the likes. :tongue:

__

Original post by joanna-eve
This!
I am currently reading
- the canterbury tales

You're reading this voluntarily? :eek: Wow. Kudos to your bravery xD

__

And based on what was said, I might read another of Atwood's novels instead of The Handmaid's Tale. I'm leaning towards The Blind Assassin personally :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm still reading Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy. My parents got me the first book for christmas and I'm still reading it! It feels like the book could be nearly finished, but wait...theres another 1400+ pages to go of the story?

It's not that I dislike the book...it just hasn't grabbed and forced me to turn the pages. As far as fantasy books go, nothing has grabbed me like Robin Hobb "The Farseer" trilogy has, and since I only read that book last year, I can't help but compare everything to it. Ever since reading that trilogy, I just can't seem to get into Fantasy literature anymore, everything feels subpar.

Okay well, that was my unintentional rant finished. :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by tite23
Sorta... I flip through Keats/Milton when I'm in the car or waiting while my mom runs errands, etc. Huxley I read passionately until Mr. Propter began his multi-chapter monologue thing, and now it's waiting patiently by my pillow. Tale of Two Cities has mostlikely been filched by my little brother, Midsummer Night's Dream is required in class, and I read Great Expectations whenever I've got free time cos it's bloody awesome.
Soo, yeah: sorta.

woah yeah ok, i'm shocked at how late this reply is, i havent been on here in time

and yeah i just don't read books, sure i used to, now i just occaisionally write them
Game Theory and Economic Modelling by David Kreps, bloody brilliant
Atonement.

Can anyone recommend me some good books based in the 1920s-50s?
:smile:

Currently reading Slaughter House 5, just finished Life of Pi.
Original post by MrsCrackFox
Atonement.

I would recommend:

-The Catcher in The Rye by Salinger which is set around the 1950's
or
- A farewell to Arms by Hemingway, which although set slightly earlier in WW1 is still a good book :biggrin:

Right now I am reading Goodnight Mr Tom, completly forgot how sad it is! :'(
(p.s. also in the time period :biggrin:)
Atonement.

Aldous Huxley - Point Counter Point.
Reply 9431
Original post by ella37
yey i'm glad! :biggrin:
be prepared to start dreading going to the shower. xD what lurks behind the shower curtain? dun dun dun...

Oh lord! I'm quite annoyed though - the film doesn't do it justice at.all. :/ I mean, I love Jack Nicholson but the book just tends to be scarier!
Also, the innocence of Danny just makes you want to give him a huge hug!!
Reply 9432
Brideshead Revisited
"Great Expectations"

I am almost into the third book. I'm reading it for my English Lit class and I find it to be monotonous and very frustrating.
Reply 9434
Now I am reading Haruki Murakami "Afterdark". This book fazes me.It's so attention-grabbing.
(edited 13 years ago)
"For Whom the Bell Tolls"
Atonement.

That's pretty broad.

Breakfast At Tiffany's, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Evelyn Waugh, Tennessee Williams, Arthur Miller, John Steinbeck, James Joyce, Anne Frank (!), Virginia Woolf, Jack Kerouac, Lolita, Beckett ... :erm:
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
That's pretty broad.

Breakfast At Tiffany's, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Evelyn Waugh, Tennessee Williams, Arthur Miller, John Steinbeck, James Joyce, Anne Frank (!), Virginia Woolf, Jack Kerouac, Lolita, Beckett ... :erm:

Arthur Miller <3
Reply 9438
Original post by Kayeffsee
:colondollar: Sorry; have a tendency to get a little overexcited with regards to plots and the likes. :tongue:

__

You're reading this voluntarily? :eek: Wow. Kudos to your bravery xD

__

And based on what was said, I might read another of Atwood's novels instead of The Handmaid's Tale. I'm leaning towards The Blind Assassin personally :biggrin:

Haha it's actually really funny in places, I am reading a translation though so that makes it easier, but it's just annoying that the whole thing is in rhyming couplets :s-smilie:
We had to bring in the book we were reading on WBD and my English teacher's face when she saw was pretty much like this :lolwut:
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
That's pretty broad.

Oh, I also second Beckett.

Latest

Trending

Trending