Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just finished David Gemmell's 'Hawk Eternal' - good read, although it contained some clichés that had my eyes rolling in some places. Moving on to Chuck Palahniuk's 'Fight Club', as I've heard it's a good read even if you've seen the film. Afterwards I'll probably turn to David Gemmell's Troy series (I still have 11 of his books left).

ReputationRep:
    anna karenina

ReputationRep:
    Johnny Panic and the Bible of Dreams - Sylvie Plath

ReputationRep:
    Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens

ReputationRep:
    the witch of portobello - paulo coelho.

i was a bit put off the by the format of the book, but i've grown to like it.

ReputationRep:
    Norweigan Wood by Haruki Murakami. Tres bien!

ReputationRep:
    Saturday by Ian McEwan. Really well written, but his characters are uncomfortably upper class.

ReputationRep:
    Never Let Me Go by Kazu Ishiguro- an easy read to take my mind off of revision. So far it's good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by David Markham)
    Saturday by Ian McEwan. Really well written, but his characters are uncomfortably upper class.
    Wow. If ever there was a book I wouldn't say was well-written, it would be Saturday. What did you find so awesome about it?

(Original post by Pensivedore)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro- an easy read to take my mind off of revision. So far it's good.
    I have to say, I found it was a solid read all the way through. I wouldn't say that it was a conceptually easy book to be reading though.

ReputationRep:
    Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption.

I'm enjoying it so far. Has anyone else read it?

ReputationRep:
    Into The Darkest Corner. Loving it. Cracking suspense from a debut author.

ReputationRep:
    I don't particularly like old fashionned books, or books about historical facts or non-fiction texts, so the book I'm reading right now is newer, and for a teenage audience (which I thankfully am). I'm not really into it, but I'll see it to the end.

anyway, the book is called "Nightshade by Adrea Cremer.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still reading Scarpetta by Patricia Cornwell (not that it's boring, but I've not got much time), and I started on another thriller called Stone Cold by David Baldacci, which I came across at my aunt's place.

I don't know whether I can write names of non-fiction books I'm currently reading, but I'll write them anyway. One, which I started on yesterday is by my favourite teen self-development author, Sean Covey, The 6 Most Important Decisions You'll Ever Make. Another one, which I got from my mother's collection of self-development books, which I started reading a while ago, but haven't yet completed it is First Things First, by Stephen R. Covey, A. Roger Merrill and Rebecca R. Merrill.

Anybody else here reading anyone of the above books?

ReputationRep:
    John Berger's The Success and Failure of Picasso

ReputationRep:
    Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

ReputationRep:
    All Quiet on the Western Front - Erich Maria Remarque.

Absolutely brilliant so far, and so poignant. I've no idea, as a historian, why I've not read it sooner.

ReputationRep:
    "MT24A - Atmosphere and Ocean Dynamics Revision"

I wrote it myself...

ReputationRep:
    quite a few school ones but my friend lent me a book called
    the passage-justin cronin
    its quite new and unlike anything i've ever read before its really good!!!

you should all read it honest its awesome!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choccielatte)

Absolutely brilliant so far, and so poignant. I've no idea, as a historian, why I've not read it sooner.
    Good shout. It was on the reading list for a module I did on the rise of Nazism last year. Ended up reading the whole thing in two or three days. Good read.

Just read Emile Zola's The Earth for a (separate) module last week. Dark, at times disturbing but definitely worth reading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choccielatte)

That has to be one of my favourite books of all time. So beautifully written, but so so sad...I think i was in tears for most of it!

Right now I'm reading 'La Comedie Humaine VII' by Balzac. Only started today and only a few pages in as I'm reading it in French and it requires a lot of dictionary work! Its going to be hard going I can tell!

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.