Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I seem to have picked up too many books, and not found anytime to read any of them, so technically im reading The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts, Exiles Return by Raymond E Feist, Legend by David Gemmel, Witchwar by James Clemens and The Peloponnesian War by Nigel Bagnall.. I had a stage of being really bored and having too much time on my hands.. and then getting bored of a book so getting another, and now I have no time

ReputationRep:
    Currently sitting in fornt of a computer in the library with a book called,

"Health, Medicine and Mortality in the Sixteenth Century".

And it sucks.

Hence why I'm wasting time on TSR rather than read it...

ReputationRep:
    The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories: Angela Carter (Given by teacher to read over the weekend)
    The Canterbury Tales: Geoffrey Chaucer (School)
    The Belljar: Silvia Plath (School)
    Flight of the Nighthawks: Raymond E. Feist (Leisure)

I'm always reading two to three books at a time at least because of English Literature.

ReputationRep:
    I just finished Lucky by Alice Sebold, which is a gripping read but I found it really upsetting too. Now I'm reading P.S. I love you by Cecelia Ahern... another depressing book so far.

ReputationRep:
    I just finished the last Dune book, which was quite a good read, although I thought the ending was rather abrupt.

I now am starting on carpe jugulum and have interesting times and thud! to read after that (all hail terry pratchett!)

ReputationRep:
    im just finishing (last few chapters) of Last Summer In Arcadia, by Deirdre Purcell

ReputationRep:
    The Classical World by Robin Lane Fox, and it's a hefty 700 or so pages long, though it's actually really quite a good read. I just love reading a book and transforming your understanding of a subject, it's so enlightening.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently reading Ian Irvine's Three worlds cycle, which is an amazing series. I'm also reading Medalon by Jennifer Fallon which is above average. And i'll be reading the Swarm War by Troy denning soonish.

ReputationRep:
    I've just written a coursework essay on Angela Carter's The Bloody Chamber. If you get really into it and want to read any criticism let me know and i'll Pm you. It really is an excellent book. I would recommend that you do read it over the weekend in one go, rather than as separate short stories. xx

ReputationRep:
    The time traveller's wife by Audrey Niffenegger. I can't put it down. Its really good.

ReputationRep:
    A reply to Bottekrank!

I've read Lucky, I didn't like it one bit; it was much too crude. I know it was based on a true story but it's not a book I would recommend. Alice Sebold wrote another book, The Lovely Bones. If you like her style then I would recommend this one, it does deal with a serious subject, but it has a less crude approach than Lucky. It's really inspirational, too.

PS I love you is a good book, I've also read Where Rainbows End by Ahern and I felt that book dragged on an awful lot. I wouldn't recommend you read that one, even if you do like PS I Love You. Unfortunately, Ahern has not maintained a skilled hand when writing her second book. I have not yet read her latest book, so I'm curious to know what like it is.

What other books would you recommend?

ReputationRep:
    Started a couple of books - Raven's Gate by Anthony Horrowitz, which was surprisingly cool! Now moved onto The Dream Merchant by Isabel Hoving, which is awesome!

Yep, I had nothing to read, so raided the teenage fiction section at my school library lol :p:

ReputationRep:
    Right now, whilst sitting in front of my computer, I am flicking through Chambers Historical Atlas of the World. Fascinating.

------------------------------------------------

Even better is the fact that it was published in 1970. Therefore, there is a map of "the world today", ie. how the world looked in 1970. Maps of the Soviet Union and other communist countries too. Great reading.

ReputationRep:
    the amber spyglass

ReputationRep:
    Bird Song by Sebastian Faulks - preparing for English A2 Synoptic paper :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Martin Amis - 'London Fields'

ReputationRep:
    The Black Room, by Gillian Cross.

ReputationRep:
    The Nuer, by E.E.Evans-Pritchard (for Social Anthropology)

otherwise: A Suitable Boy, by Vikram Seth & 1984, by George Orwell (again)

ReputationRep:
    I'm not reading a book now i'm writing one

Already got an editor etc. I reckon i can get it published.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommyD)
    I'm not reading a book now i'm writing one

Already got an editor etc. I reckon i can get it published.
    Is it really that simple?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.