The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Dead Run by P J Tracy. She is one of the most entertaining thriller/murder writers I've read in ages.
2nd chance james patterson
Reply 1442
Life interrupted: The memoir of a nearly person - James McConnel
Reply 1443
I'm currently reading a History of western Philosophy by Betrand Russell. Good read.
well i was supposed to be reading angels and demons but only read the first page previously. but i've got it from the library again, so i hope i read more than a page this time :p:
Started reading 'Yes Man' by Danny Wallace last week, and so far so good, very entertaining. Only problem is that having decided that 'say yes more', as quoted many times in the book, would be my new mantra, the only thing it's done is made me say yes to buying £27 worth of beef fillet steak that I didn't even need!
Just finished Wit'ch Fire - a far better read than I remembered it to be. I've now picked up Wit'ch Storm. This could get interesting :biggrin:
milan kundera, "risibles amours" don't know what the english title is but i'm enjoying it loads. a mental examination of nonsense. ace

oh and halfway through the Gulag archipeligo, but i put it down for too long. Solzhenitsyn is so concerned of including every single person, and every single detail, which i understand, but it just bogs you down.
I'm reading 'The Da Vinci Code' and I have no clue why I feel so embarrassed about confessing that. It's one of those books that I was sure I'd never read because EVERYONE seemed to be reading it and it looked trashy (in a boring way. I like fun trash.)

Anyway, I'm abroad now, and I finished reading my 'worthy' book and had no access to any others. So my friend gave me 'TDVC' and I started it last night and found it's much better than I thought it would be. It's very readable, keeps you turning the pages.
pippa_87
I'm reading 'The Da Vinci Code' and I have no clue why I feel so embarrassed about confessing that. It's one of those books that I was sure I'd never read because EVERYONE seemed to be reading it and it looked trashy (in a boring way. I like fun trash.)

Anyway, I'm abroad now, and I finished reading my 'worthy' book and had no access to any others. So my friend gave me 'TDVC' and I started it last night and found it's much better than I thought it would be. It's very readable, keeps you turning the pages.

Oh, its very readable. It just doesn't get anywhere deserving the title of 'greatest book of the entire universe' that some people want to bestow upon it.
I'm reading "The Stand" by Stephen King at the moment. It's amazing - if you can get the book or the film (6 hours long) I suggest you do. It's the original version of the "28 Days Later" scenario and is totally superb!
pippa_87

:ditto: haha, same. I am waiting for the fuss to die down so i can read it.
Just buy it (pay cash, wear dark glasses), read it during the night, then light a fire and burn it. No-one can prove anything.

and -
Spring Snow - Yukio Mishima
The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plaith

Outstanding book that got me totally hooked. A completely truthful account of her plunge into depression...and a shocking realisation of how far psychology has come since the 50's!
Currently reading The Insult by Rupert Thompson (or is it Rupert Thomas?). Must admit though, I'm bored silly at the moment. It's too convluted, the descriptions are too sketchy that it sometimes seems slightly shallow and/or incredulous. Anyway, will stick it through; it might produce a nice twist towards the end.

Books I'm about to read:

Will Self - The Quantity Theory of Insanity and Grey Matter
Lionel Shriver - Double Fault
J.D. Salinger - Catcher in the Rye
Luke Rhinehart - The Dice Man

Been shopping on Amazon, and now have too many unread books lying about.
READING: The Metamorphasis - Franz Kafka.
Just finished: The New Concise Hisory of the Crusades - excellent read, properly academic but very accessible and well written and totally up to date.
Trying to get a hold of : The Monkey House by Kurt Vonnegut, really want to read the short story "Harrison Bergeron."
The las book I read before I started revision :wink: was

The Shadow of the wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. It was....mindblowingly good
just finished hilary bailey's 'cassandra princess of troy'
it was alright i'd probably read it again sometime. going to go home and raid my cupboards for my next book.
Just finished The Bell by Iris Murdoch... wow. Not really sure what to read next, it's a hard act to follow!
the Fifth Sorceress- Robert Newcomb

Latest

Trending

Trending