What book are you reading now? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Isolde
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
les voleurs de beauté -- pascal bruckner
how i became stupid - martin page

(Original post by Gaz031)
I'm now reading The Divine Comedy and may move onto one of Anna Karenina, The Three Musketeers or Crime and Punishment next.
`The Divine Comedy` was one of the books I still feel frustred about, because of the translation -- rigurous, ad litteram and liguistic instead of narrative...I think this book should be read in prose too for a better comprehension of the story :p:
pheephee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Brideshead revisited - E.Waugh
Tyler Durden
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The Leopard by Giuseppe di Lampedusa.
cappucino07
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Axiom)
Canal Dreams- Iain Banks
I read The Wasp Factory and while I enjoyed it I expected a lot more from what I had heard, is it worth bothering with any of his other books?
Tyler Durden
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I found The Crow Road hilarious (and it's quite a light read).
O_o Silent_Star o_O
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Angels and Demons - Dan Brown
Jayk
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by gameplayer_no1)
Angels and Demons - Dan Brown
Yay! SO much better than the DaVinci Code (in my honest opinion), although I'm a sucker for things like ambigrams.

Currently reading Lord of Chaos, by Robert Jordan. Number 6 in the Wheel of Time! Woo-hoo!
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Trial of Fire by Kate Jacoby - book 5 of the Elita series. Yep, you guessed it... it's yet another re-read while I wait for some money to come my way lol. I need a job .
Axiom
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by the victory james)
I read The Wasp Factory and while I enjoyed it I expected a lot more from what I had heard, is it worth bothering with any of his other books?
Wasp Factory is an excellent book, but it's just a tad overrated. His best "literature" book is probably Complicity, then The Crow Road. If you like science fiction (even though Banks' books aren't sci-fi in the stereotypical style), then get The Player Of Games or Use Of Weapons, the latter being my personal favourite.
lovelee-jublee
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm reading Sickened, by Julie Gregory. It's a true story of the author, whose Mum suffered form Munchausen's Syndrome and so was convinced something was wrong with her daighter, taking her to doctors and hospitals so they would operate on her and things like that. I've only just started but it's really good, and shocking to hear of this form of child abuse.
Leigh
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Finally finished Eye Of the World (highly recommended), and am now reading Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind.

Am loving the substance of these fantasy books after a good year of nothing but trashy crime fiction!
Champagne Breakfast
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The Grapes of Wrath - Steinbeck
Champagne Breakfast
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by pheephee)
Brideshead revisited - E.Waugh
Good?
lovelee-jublee
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Did anyone here like 'The Virgin Suicides' by Jeffrey Euginides? I heard some excellent reviews on it and read it not knowing what all the fuss was about :confused: I couldn't wait to finish the book so I could go on to the next!
NViasko
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I picked up the book 'Brokeback Mountain' thinking it would be a story mirroring the motion picture but it's 10 short ****ing stories.
Luize
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by lovelee-jublee)
I'm reading Sickened, by Julie Gregory. It's a true story of the author, whose Mum suffered form Munchausen's Syndrome and so was convinced something was wrong with her daighter, taking her to doctors and hospitals so they would operate on her and things like that. I've only just started but it's really good, and shocking to hear of this form of child abuse.

I've read that, it's a good book and quite chilling at times.
zillysteph
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Did anyone here like 'The Virgin Suicides' by Jeffrey Euginides? I heard some excellent reviews on it and read it not knowing what all the fuss was about :confused: I couldn't wait to finish the book so I could go on to the next!
Hey, yeah I read that last summer and thought it was quite good! What didn't you like about it?
lovelee-jublee
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by zillysteph)
Hey, yeah I read that last summer and thought it was quite good! What didn't you like about it?
I don't know, I just never got into it. The characters wern't really built up so you knew them - we found out very little about why the girls did what they did, why they didn't go out and things like that.. I felt I was reading nonsense!! But maybe that's just me
non-centrally acting
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Didn't finish reading daughter, but after watching 'The Da Vinci Code' I decided to read it again.
flaming_star
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't know, I just never got into it. The characters wern't really built up so you knew them - we found out very little about why the girls did what they did, why they didn't go out and things like that.. I felt I was reading nonsense!! But maybe that's just me
have you seen the movie to the book?
i also read the book but after seeing the movie,maybe that way it was a lot easier to understand.
has anyone read eugenides second novel "middlesex"?
i'm thinking about starting it.if i have enough time
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (153)
27.42%
No (405)
72.58%

Watched Threads