Turn on thread page Beta

What book are you reading now? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hashshashin)
    Read a series which in which is only considered any good up to book 6, over what is probably the most important fiction book of the 20th century?

Not to mention the fact that the Wheel of Time (and pretty much all contemporary fantasy) was largely influenced by Tolkien's work.

Oh, and Lord of the Rings isn't a series, it's one book that splits down into 3 parts or 6 books.
    Well, although one can argue that all fantasy fiction is based on Mr.Tolkien's work, one must realise that fantasy fiction has evolved, per se, and ameliorated to a more enjoyable read. The Wheel of Time is not considered good up to book 6, it is thoroughly well written and fans could easily state that 7th, 9th and 11th book of the series are highly commendable.
    As to the last point you make, although it is true that the 'Lord of the Rings' is indeed a trilogy, Mr.Tolkien (and his offspring) have made some 20 odd more books that are all related to the trilogy. Having read an abnormaly large number of them (which I duly regret), I must say, that they are all rather insipid and trite, in comparsion with the fantasy fiction that is written by today's eminent authors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aiman)
    Well, although one can argue that all fantasy fiction is based on Mr.Tolkien's work, one must realise that fantasy fiction has evolved, per se, and ameliorated to a more enjoyable read. The Wheel of Time is not considered good up to book 6, it is thoroughly well written and fans could easily state that 7th, 9th and 11th book of the series are highly commendable.
    As to the last point you make, although it is true that the 'Lord of the Rings' is indeed a trilogy, Mr.Tolkien (and his offspring) have made some 20 odd more books that are all related to the trilogy. Having read an abnormaly large number of them (which I duly regret), I must say, that they are all rather insipid and trite, in comparsion with the fantasy fiction that is written by today's eminent authors.
    I must say I disagree with you rather strongly on all of these points, but you're obviously entitled to your opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aiman)
    Well, although one can argue that all fantasy fiction is based on Mr.Tolkien's work, one must realise that fantasy fiction has evolved, per se, and ameliorated to a more enjoyable read.
    I couldn't agree. It's important to recognise that LotR was written 50 years ago, and as such has some fairly notable stylistic differences to those today. To say it has ameliorated is simply misguided. It has changed, and obviously newer works are more suited to today's literary palate.

ReputationRep:
    Fingersmith - Sarah Waters

ReputationRep:
    The Art of Keeping Secrets - not my usual type of book AT ALL! - looks very chic lit book it had good reviews on amazon and was recommended on tv and won an award and i wanted some light reading as have been erading heavy stuff recently. It's definitely light reading , the jury is still out on how good it is!

Also, kinda in the middle of Catch-22...

ReputationRep:
    Im currently reading Andrew Marrs My trade: A short history of journalism and also Tell me no lies by John Pilger

ReputationRep:
    A Crown of Swords - Robert Jordan

ReputationRep:
    Fingersmith - Sarah Waters
    That's a brilliant book. It made me cry, though.

ReputationRep:
    Sophie's World - read it when I was a lot younger, reading it again now and understanding it (though feel indulgent reading teenage fiction)

ReputationRep:
    Should be reading Agnes Gray - Anne Bronte, but havn't started yet! The 2 hour train ride I have on Sunday seems a good place to start!

ReputationRep:
    Isabel Allende's Zorro which is fabulous so far and just picked up Julith Jedamus' The Book of Loss and though i've only read the prologue (its a bit of a lengthy one!) the storyline sounds really good!

Also i just finished Laurell K Hamilton's Danse Macabre that book made me smile so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by
    jayk_bakner
    )

A Crown of Swords - Robert Jordan
    That's very entertaining. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    I finally got Forest Mage in through the post, and what a book it is so far! The plot has twisted so far out of recognition that there is no way I can predict what's going to happen. Once again, a genius story by Robin Hobb .

ReputationRep:
    Crimes of Love - Sade.

ReputationRep:
    I'm reading a few, well trying to:

The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown
    1984 - George Orwell
    We need to talk about Kevin - Lionel Shriver

And I've just finished Soul Surfer - Bethany Hamilton

ReputationRep:
    Lirael- Garth Nix

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished "Wives and Daughters" by Elizabeth Gaskell, and now I'm reading "Girl With a Pearl Earring" by Tracy Chevalier.

ReputationRep:
    I am just starting 'Wild Geese' by Lara Harte. Seems good so far, I just got a random selection of books from the library but seem to have found some entertaining ones among the bunch.

ReputationRep:
    The Night Gardener by George Pelecanos. Well written crime story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Sophie's World - read it when I was a lot younger, reading it again now and understanding it (though feel indulgent reading teenage fiction)
    Oh, I love Sophie's World!

Anywho, right now I'm reading:

A Place of Greater Safety by Hilary Mantel (Excellent novel about the French Revolution. I have some quibbles, but overall it's a wonderful read thus far)

The Rose Without a Thorn by Jean Plaidy (About Catherine Howard, Henry VIII's fifth wife. Not very far along, so I can't really comment)

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.