Turn on thread page Beta

Most Influential Song of the 60's - 90's watch

ReputationRep:
    Discuss...

I want your homework in by tomorrow...

Love Adam

ReputationRep:
    to me personally or to the whole nation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moochy)
    to me personally or to the whole nation?
    One each.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by creativesurgeon)
    One each.
    Peech Boys - Dont Make Me Wait
    or Kraftwerk - Trans Europe Express

ReputationRep:
    its very hard to say.
    for me it wud have to be... actually ill have to think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    Peech Boys - Dont Make Me Wait
    or Kraftwerk - Trans Europe Express
    Kraftwerk were seen as pioneers of the genre we have come to know as 'dance'...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by creativesurgeon)
    Kraftwerk were seen as pioneers of the genre we have come to know as 'dance'...
    do you think i chose them by accident?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    do you think i chose them by accident?
    touchy.

ReputationRep:
    Damn that's a ba*d question. If you said producers/production teams, i'd still have to have two+ per category, and if you said In the area of electronic music of a pseudo drum & bass, electro, ambient and just plain expanding the musical spectrum sort of stuff, then, Aphex Twin, Radioactive Man (ME) Orbital, Orb, Squarepusher (Generally, and ME)

The best album ever i'd say however is "Coldcut - Journeys by DJ, 70 Mins of Madness"

Does anyone else know what the f i'm talking about?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone considered:
    Sex Pistols - Anarchy in the UK
    Pinky Floyd - Another Brick in the Wall
    and I hate to bring it up but...
    Madonna - Material Girl

ReputationRep:
    oh yea, anarchy in the uk... that's even had an impact on coldcut who seemed to slot it into their Revolutionary set for radio 1... which is the most amazing and inspiring 60 mins of music about the fight against suppression of humans, in all it's ways.
    But i feel that impact is how others react to the music through their own creation... and i don't know how that has affected other peoples creation of music... i can only see that in certain branches of electronic music (usually the stranger ones) and GOOD hip hop, because that's the music i am most interested at the moment (and for 5+ years) so i actually know enough to feel i can comment.
    oh and on second thought, Coldcut have (between them and with a few others) had the largest and most significant impact... I mean just about everyone on ninja tunes must have had a significant amount of benifit from them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spc_K)
    Damn that's a ba*d question. If you said producers/production teams, i'd still have to have two+ per category, and if you said In the area of electronic music of a pseudo drum & bass, electro, ambient and just plain expanding the musical spectrum sort of stuff, then, Aphex Twin, Radioactive Man (ME) Orbital, Orb, Squarepusher (Generally, and ME)

The best album ever i'd say however is "Coldcut - Journeys by DJ, 70 Mins of Madness"

Radioactive Man - 'Fed-Ex to Munchen', nice song.
    Incidentally, Black Dog were at the beginning of the Warp/IDM era..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spc_K)

ye, what label is that on? sounds like Moonshine..

ReputationRep:
    With Anarchy in the UK, I was thinking more along the lines of a new genre being created just when the majority of people didn't want it. Its punk pure and simple, and yet its had such an influence on the music people released to counter it in the market. The classic rule, if you can't beat em, join em came into play. Following that, you had all the metal, rock and yes more punk bands aiming to shock and amaze audiences. The charts today seem to resemble a mixture of the usual pop (I love you, I miss you, I want you, I need you) rubbish with the rest of it being made up by such bands as The Atari's and Sum 41, both arguably two of the biggest punk/rock bands in the world at the moment. I could be totally off on the wrong track here, but I look forward to a reply/rebuke etc.

ReputationRep:
    Most of Coldcuts work is on "Ahead of our time" and then "Ninja Tune" (the home of many many great artists, and created by the legendary Mr More and Mr Black themselves.) But that album is part of a Journeys By DJ series. i think the lable is called Journeys By DJ too... Anything on Ninja Tune is good... i really mean anything.. there is nothing but quality... i'd say it's the most significant and important label for quality music of the last 13 years. (along with WARP and Rephlex)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spc_K)
    Most of Coldcuts work is on "Ahead of our time" and then "Ninja Tune" (the home of many many great artists, and created by the legendary Mr More and Mr Black themselves.) But that album is part of a Journeys By DJ series. i think the lable is called Journeys By DJ too... Anything on Ninja Tune is good... i really mean anything.. there is nothing but quality... i'd say it's the most significant and important label for quality music of the last 13 years. (along with WARP and Rephlex)
    Journeys by DJ is an independent label your right.. i came across the coldcut record because i was listening to alot of Keoki...ah, the superstar dj.

and yes, ninja and warp rock. are you a fan of anything on compost or traum or playhouse?

ReputationRep:
    ooo... heard of playhouse, but i only ever knew it as a name and the vague recollection of some tracks i was played.... had a look at their web site, should so obviously get some tracks... it all appeals to my Mr Scruff esque humour. Heard of compost, had a look turns out Beanfield and funkstorung are on there, so yes. Never even heard of Traum.. but electro... seems like i should fire up K-Lite.

I'm very happy... i've been downloading & buying the pieces of Ninja Tune i didn't have recently, but it's increasingly hard to find anything new to dowload, and there's only so much i can buy.. although i was thinking about raiding the Rotters Golf Club catalogue and Getting lots more hip-hop i think i'm going to try the german stuff... especially seing i'm there in a week... why do i have a 56k?...

ooo... have you heard of Mixmaster Morris? very different music... alot of bizzare ambient ish stuff... but the best two are Power and Nepalese Bliss (Amon Tobin Remix) in my opinion.

also are you into your hip hop like Sage Francis Aesop Rock etc, or the stranger stuff like cLOUDDEAD

I want my hard drive back... i think i'm going to go get it... all my old ninja and rephlex and warp and loads more stuff is there... and loads of live sets... awww why did i lend my music hard drive to some one? ... and not take it back for 4 months now! I'm missing it... and i've just realised i can't remember what half the stuff on there is now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spc_K)
    ooo... heard of playhouse, but i only ever knew it as a name and the vague recollection of some tracks i was played.... had a look at their web site, should so obviously get some tracks... it all appeals to my Mr Scruff esque humour. Heard of compost, had a look turns out Beanfield and funkstorung are on there, so yes. Never even heard of Traum.. but electro... seems like i should fire up K-Lite.

I'm very happy... i've been downloading & buying the pieces of Ninja Tune i didn't have recently, but it's increasingly hard to find anything new to dowload, and there's only so much i can buy.. although i was thinking about raiding the Rotters Golf Club catalogue and Getting lots more hip-hop i think i'm going to try the german stuff... especially seing i'm there in a week... why do i have a 56k?...

ooo... have you heard of Mixmaster Morris? very different music... alot of bizzare ambient ish stuff... but the best two are Power and Nepalese Bliss (Amon Tobin Remix) in my opinion.

also are you into your hip hop like Sage Francis Aesop Rock etc, or the stranger stuff like cLOUDDEAD

I want my hard drive back... i think i'm going to go get it... all my old ninja and rephlex and warp and loads more stuff is there... and loads of live sets... awww why did i lend my music hard drive to some one? ... and not take it back for 4 months now! I'm missing it... and i've just realised i can't remember what half the stuff on there is now!
    its berlin stuff. july by waki on traum is stunning. the germans are really producing some great stuff at the moment. another artist i like at the moment is Arco5, french. i lean more to the clicks n cuts and downtempo stuff as opposed to the hip hop side.

heard of mixmaster morris. wasnt he something to do with mixmag and NME? the others no. although i like amon tobin.

ReputationRep:
    Yea, but he's done some ninja related stuff and remixed coldcuts autumn leaves... seems like a very odd bloke, but all good as far as the ambient stuff goes... friend of mine who's into his techy house stuff keeps going on about the german scene... so it's all good i'm going there i suppose. Anyway, need to go, and i think i'll pick up my harddrive and find some things i've forgoten for some time...

yea, amon tobin is very good, definitly get his remix of nepalese bliss.. K lite should have it

ReputationRep:
    I know it's not 60s-90s but Pachelbel's canon is definitely the most genius piece of music ever written.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.