The Student Room Group
gremney
Hello guys ..

I have applied for Cardiff , Nottingham , Warwick , Sheffield and York for the subject BSc Psychology.
All sent back their offers to me and they are quite similar. (~ABB)

In terms of school life / quality / reputation .. which one of them will you reccommend me to choose ??

thx =)

Nottingham was number 1 in the times league tables for the subject last time i looked but might have changed. All of them are great but quite different, are having a social life and going out a lot important to you? if so then you should probably rule out warwick and york.

In terms of overall rep notts, york and warwick would def come above cardiff and sheffield but again all of them are great, congrats!
Reply 2
rah
Nottingham was number 1 in the times league tables for the subject last time i looked but might have changed. All of them are great but quite different, are having a social life and going out a lot important to you? if so then you should probably rule out warwick and york.

In terms of overall rep notts, york and warwick would def come above cardiff and sheffield but again all of them are great, congrats!

DO NOT choose between Warwick/York/Notts based on the league table position. Visit each of them and go wherever you feel most comfortable. There's absolutely nothing in it in terms of reputation or 'prestige'. Really is that simple, no need for further advice therefore:wink:
Reply 3
rah

thanks alot for you advice ..
actually Nottingham favoured me most recently
Nott. requires me to hv IELTS .. that's what i'm doing now

Mostlikely i m making a tough decision between Nott and York ..
Warwick is too low in the Psychology League table ..

are u studying in U.Nott ??
Can u briefly describe how's U life there ??
Irrespective of the course Cardiff is a lovely city and a great uni, don't rule it out without a visit...in fact visit all of your choices but be careful to choose the place you can imagine living in for 3 yrs and not which is the best day out :smile:
Reply 5
gremney

I'm in my first year studying psychology at Nottingham :smile:

There's a few other people from University of Nottingham who post on another forum (sorry if that sounds like a plug). There's a link to the latest discussion about Nottingham below:

http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55921
gremney
Hello guys ..

I have applied for Cardiff , Nottingham , Warwick , Sheffield and York for the subject BSc Psychology.
All sent back their offers to me and they are quite similar. (~ABB)

In terms of school life / quality / reputation .. which one of them will you reccommend me to choose ??

thx =)

There are a couple of those institutions that you have to visit to appriciate their various attributes (both positive and negative).

Nottingham University for example isn't all that close to the city centre, but the campus it's self is most picturesque.

Sheffield University, is a wierd one, beautiful setting, set in 7 hills, 4 miles from the Peak District, and far enough away 3/4 mile, from a city centre, such that sometimes you forget where you are.

Can't speak for the others, though I hear York is an expensive city in which to live.
gremney

Mostlikely i m making a tough decision between Nott and York ..

yes i am at nottingham hence my constant biased praising of it :smile:

i'm really enjoying myself and haven't yet found anything to fault with the uni or the town. the only real problem i think it has is crime, i had some stupid little townie try to nick my phone(no chance! hehe)a couple of days ago and apparently one of the self-catered halls had an armed robbery.

er yes but ignoring that the campus is beautiful, the facilities are great, freshers and karni were amazing and there does seem to be a really nice atmosphere about the place. there is so much to do in the town, loads of clubs and bars, which i think york would lack (completly unsubstanciated opinion, well from one friend who is totally bored of the stupidly small amount of clubs in the town). its not too expensive, we get loads of decent bands coming to play and there are tons of shops.

so yeah, notts rocks!

you will probably also find there are alot of people from singapore, hong kong, malaysia etc here
Reply 8
I've got an offer from Cardiff for psychology too! Are you going to the open day tomorrow?
I also applied to York but am yet to hear from them. All the places you've had offers from have a good reputation, so I guess the main thing to do is to choose a place you know you'll feel happy in.
Reply 9
rah
yes i am at nottingham hence my constant biased praising of it :smile:

i'm really enjoying myself and haven't yet found anything to fault with the uni or the town. the only real problem i think it has is crime, i had some stupid little townie try to nick my phone(no chance! hehe)a couple of days ago and apparently one of the self-catered halls had an armed robbery.

er yes but ignoring that the campus is beautiful, the facilities are great, freshers and karni were amazing and there does seem to be a really nice atmosphere about the place. there is so much to do in the town, loads of clubs and bars, which i think york would lack (completly unsubstanciated opinion, well from one friend who is totally bored of the stupidly small amount of clubs in the town). its not too expensive, we get loads of decent bands coming to play and there are tons of shops.

so yeah, notts rocks!

you will probably also find there are alot of people from singapore, hong kong, malaysia etc here

wow ...
armed .. = =

I chose Nottingham is because I hv a relative who studied in Nottingham before. He's a medic. And he's doing quite fine now ..

well .. It's up to my IELTS .
If my IELTS passed (as stated in my offer) ,
Nottingham , here i come ..

but of course ..
my cambridge interview rulez ~

=)
Reply 10
Leaby
I've got an offer from Cardiff for psychology too! Are you going to the open day tomorrow?
I also applied to York but am yet to hear from them. All the places you've had offers from have a good reputation, so I guess the main thing to do is to choose a place you know you'll feel happy in.

I think i'm too late to reply the msg .. sorry ~

I'm not going to Cardiff since I am in Hong Kong now
(LOL ~)

I am currently studying in Hong Kong.
As expenses to UK will be quite expensive ,
I dun want my money to be wasted on "2nd class universities" - I hope no ppl hate the term i made ..

Apart from my visit to Cambridge for an interview on 16/12 ,
which I will also visit nottingham or York ,
I won't be able to visit other Universities ..
so .. it's up to you guys to help me about the U there
=)
Reply 11
Ahhh sorry! How silly of me!

Cardiff was great... It will probably be my first choice... But York would complicate that if I were to receive an offer from them... Hence you would probably prefer York anyway!
Reply 12
Leaby
Ahhh sorry! How silly of me!

Cardiff was great... It will probably be my first choice... But York would complicate that if I were to receive an offer from them... Hence you would probably prefer York anyway!

nvm =)

hmm...
it's too difficult to choose either one from York and Nottingham ...

Latest

Trending

Trending