The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by asif007
I transferred from Bradford Clinical Science Foundation Year and will be starting Year 1 of Medicine in Leeds this September. PM me if you need any advice. :smile:

how was the interview process? what kind of work experience and volunteering work have you done? how many applications do they take, whats the successful rate?
Original post by asif007
That depends which Clinical Science route you choose to take. If you choose Foundation Year, you will spend a year in Bradford and, if successful, progress to Year 1 of Medicine in Leeds. If you start from Year 1 of Clinical Science, you will progress to Year 2 of Medicine. The route you choose depends on your grades, experience and personal preference.

Alternatively, if you are unsuccessful in transferring from Foundation Year (i.e. you don't receive an interview for Medicine), you can continue to Year 1 of Clinical Science and gain a place in Medicine from there. However, you will need to think carefully about which point to start from (Foundation Year or Year 1 Clinical Science) as there are advantages and disadvantages to each course. If you have the right grades which make you eligible for both courses, you are given an opportunity on the interview day to specify which course you want to enter.

Hope that helps. Good Luck for your interview. :smile:

i meet the entry requirements for both foundation year and year 1 clinical science and transfer to medicine, i am not sure which one to choose
Reply 22
hi to anybody who is willing to read this extremely long post >.< :biggrin: I'm just a little confused by the information on Bradford universities website. Could anyone possibly answer some of my questions.
1. When does the transfer happen? On the site it says that the course is for 4 years, do I transfer after the first year?
2.Would I even be considered? I know I meet the non-academic criteria, but are my grades/ subjects that I take what the course requires? I take Biology, Chemistry and Psychology at A2 and am predicted an ABA (in order of how subjects were listed previously). I thought I had totally lost the chance of ever doing medicine until I came across this.
3. What do I write in my personal statement? Do I do it as if I'm applying for medicine or do I apply for clinical sciences?
4. Does it require the UKCAT or similar entry tests?
and finally (promise ill stop bothering all of you soon :colondollar: )
5. Do you know any other schemes like this or any foundation years that would possibly consider me with the grades that I have and am predicted for medicine? Most of the ones I have found have always got one criteria that I don't meet. Most don't want Chemistry as a subject and the ones that do (Nottingham, East Anglia and Southampton), Nottingham only allows one modular resit in Chem and I don't fit into the non-academic criteria for Southampton. so out of the possible 4 choices that I have I only have one filled out, but even that is a bit iffy. Please help:s-smilie: if you can.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Goshe
hi to anybody who is willing to read this extremely long post >.< :biggrin: I'm just a little confused by the information on Bradford universities website. Could anyone possibly answer some of my questions.
1. When does the transfer happen? On the site it says that the course is for 4 years, do I transfer after the first year?
2.Would I even be considered? I know I meet the non-academic criteria, but are my grades/ subjects that I take what the course requires? I take Biology, Chemistry and Psychology at A2 and am predicted an ABA (in order of how subjects were listed previously). I thought I had totally lost the chance of ever doing medicine until I came across this.
3. What do I write in my personal statement? Do I do it as if I'm applying for medicine or do I apply for clinical sciences?
4. Does it require the UKCAT or similar entry tests?
and finally (promise ill stop bothering all of you soon :colondollar: )
5. Do you know any other schemes like this or any foundation years that would possibly consider me with the grades that I have and am predicted for medicine? Most of the ones I have found have always got one criteria that I don't meet. Most don't want Chemistry as a subject and the ones that do (Nottingham, East Anglia and Southampton), Nottingham only allows one modular resit in Chem and I don't fit into the non-academic criteria for Southampton. so out of the possible 4 choices that I have I only have one filled out, but even that is a bit iffy. Please help:s-smilie: if you can.

hi there,

I went to the open day recently it was really helpful. in order to be eligible for the transfer you to apply for foundation clinical science and you have to meet the requirements at least ABB and relevant work experience and volunteer stuff, mainly you have to be eligible for the widening participation criteria, http://www.bradford.ac.uk/T4-css-corporate/courses/docs/additional-info/Clinical-Sciences-Widening-Participation-Criteria-2016.pdf. if you don't meet at least two of this criteria you wont be eligible for transfer. in the foundation year academically you have to 70% in all modules and pass in first attempt. during march you to do BMAT, at the end of the year you apply for transfer if you meet the criteria, unfortunately if your not successful, you continue doing year 1 of clinical science and would have another opportunity to apply for transfer again. year 1 of Clinical Sciences has been accredited by the GMC as being the equivalent of Year 1 of the MBChB at Leeds - therefore they have a further 20 places in Year 2 of the MBChB for our first year students to apply for. Again - widening participation and academic criteria needs to be met in order to allow the application (currently this involves achieving above 60% average across the year and passing every element of every module at first attempt) Year 1 students will also sit BMAT in March.
many other universities do foundation year for medicine like kings college.
Reply 24
Original post by keerthana1
hi there,

i went to the open day recently it was really helpful. In order to be eligible for the transfer you to apply for foundation clinical science and you have to meet the requirements at least abb and relevant work experience and volunteer stuff, mainly you have to be eligible for the widening participation criteria, http://www.bradford.ac.uk/t4-css-corporate/courses/docs/additional-info/clinical-sciences-widening-participation-criteria-2016.pdf. If you don't meet at least two of this criteria you wont be eligible for transfer. In the foundation year academically you have to 70% in all modules and pass in first attempt. During march you to do bmat, at the end of the year you apply for transfer if you meet the criteria, unfortunately if your not successful, you continue doing year 1 of clinical science and would have another opportunity to apply for transfer again. Year 1 of clinical sciences has been accredited by the gmc as being the equivalent of year 1 of the mbchb at leeds - therefore they have a further 20 places in year 2 of the mbchb for our first year students to apply for. Again - widening participation and academic criteria needs to be met in order to allow the application (currently this involves achieving above 60% average across the year and passing every element of every module at first attempt) year 1 students will also sit bmat in march.
Many other universities do foundation year for medicine like kings college.

thank you so much :d
so basically- you cant apply to either foundation or first year of clinical sciences if you aren't eligible for the widening participation criteria-with the view of transferring into med?what about the biomed course- can people transfer from there to med?? thank you for any help!
Original post by trustinginglory
so basically- you cant apply to either foundation or first year of clinical sciences if you aren't eligible for the widening participation criteria-with the view of transferring into med?what about the biomed course- can people transfer from there to med?? thank you for any help!

hello,

you can still apply for foundation or year one of clinical science but you wont be eligible for transfer, however you can still complete the degree and apply as grad med. you can also do biomed and after the completion of the degree you can apply as grad med.
Reply 27
Is there any foundation courses which allow the transfer to dentistry at Leeds?

Posted from TSR Mobile
i am not sure but you can finish the degree and apply for dentistry.

Original post by umarr
Is there any foundation courses which allow the transfer to dentistry at Leeds?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by keerthana1
i meet the entry requirements for both foundation year and year 1 clinical science and transfer to medicine, i am not sure which one to choose

Choose foundation....

Easier content to study and if you don't get through in foundation year, you have another attempt once you move onto 1st year Clin Sci.

If you go straight to 1st year, you only have one chance - both are equally as competitive.
true. if you want to transfer, you can only apply for foundation year.

Original post by Chohan
Choose foundation....

Easier content to study and if you don't get through in foundation year, you have another attempt once you move onto 1st year Clin Sci.

If you go straight to 1st year, you only have one chance - both are equally as competitive.
Hi guys just sent my UCAS form off tonight :smile: has anyone else sent those off yet?
Reply 32
Original post by badhand45
Hi guys just sent my UCAS form off tonight :smile: has anyone else sent those off yet?

I just did too!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by may_1
I just did too!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome, where you applying to?
Reply 34
Original post by badhand45
Awesome, where you applying to?

I'm applying for medicine at leeds Leicester bristol and cardiff, hbu!?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by may_1
I'm applying for medicine at leeds Leicester bristol and cardiff, hbu!?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bradford, for clinical science, Sheffield Durham, Hull and Sunderland for biomed. Nightmare past year means I can't apply to medicine directly which is a pain haha
Reply 36
Original post by aSian_cUtY
Hello
I may be of help here..I did 1st year clinical sciences and got into Leeds...if you got any specific questions then let me know:smile:

I wanted to know if there is any requirements for the foundation year.
Hi Azi16,

The entry requirements for the Foundation in Clinical Science course here at Bradford are as follows:

Typical offer: BCC / 260 UCAS points

A levels:To include at least 2 A levels minimum grade C. No more than 30 points from Key Skills or any other scheme can count towards the total UCAS tariff points.

BTEC Extended Diploma: DMM.

Access Programmes:Access to Higher Education Diploma with at least 45 Level 3 credits, to include 30 credits at Merit.

Plus minimum of:GCSE English, Maths, Biology and Chemistry (or Dual Award Science) at grade C or above.

Additional entry requirements:As part of the selection process, short-listed candidates are invited to a Selection day prior to making offers.

You can find more information about the course here:

Foundation in Clinical Sciences/Medicine

Hope that helps!

PAUL
Original post by asif007
I transferred from Bradford Clinical Science Foundation Year and will be starting Year 1 of Medicine in Leeds this September. PM me if you need any advice. :smile:

Hello, i was wondering how the process works, if i do get 70% across all exams for foundation medicine how do i apply for medicine at leeds?
Hello, i was wondering how the process works, if i do get 70% across all exams for foundation medicine how do i apply for medicine at leeds?

Latest

Trending

Trending